Chapter 1

I Like You, Bae Joohyun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Joohyun-ah! Let’s have our lunch at the benches behind our school building!”

“What’s wrong with the cafeteria this time, Seungwan?”

“Nothing. I’m just sick of eating the same thing everyday at the same place so why not try a different thing today?!” The shorter girl brightly answered, skipping her way to the latter’s side before tilting her head to peek at her. “You don’t seem enthusiastic as always, Joohyun. Come on, the world is such a nice place! There are--”

“Shut up, Wendy. You’re being too noisy.” She sighed, flipping the page of their textbook, studying for the next class as she always did.

“And you are being too booooooring.” With a swing of her leg, Wendy leaned against her chair before letting out a puff of air.

 

It was already five minutes after the school bell rang and both of them are still on their chairs; mainly because Joohyun doesn’t want to waste time walking out of the classroom when she can just add that time to studying.

 

“Well being boring got me high grades and a good record at this school. Definitely good for my future.”

“What future, by the way?” Wendy cocked a brow and rested her cheek on her desk, pouting her lips at how timid her bestfriend is. “You always study so hard and you’re already on the top, but even being bestfriends with you for years didn’t let me know what you actually want to be. Is it a doctor? A CEO of a company? What?”

 

Joohyun sighed at her noisy friend yet again, flipping another page of the textbook while a hand of hers fished out her lunchbox from her bag. For her, it is best to keep shut right now because the other wouldn’t listen and just continue talking.

 

“Give yourself a break, Joohyun-ah. If you keep on being like this, yes you will have high grades and all that, but what would happen to your life? Where’s the fun? Where’s the thrill?”

“My thrill is when I’m waiting for our exam results and bet against myself if I got a perfect score or not.”

“You’re hopeless.”

“You will be too if you don’t study more, Wendy.”

“Shut up.”

 

Like everyday, Joohyun won against Wendy. They ate in their classroom while Wendy talked about how this one guy in a movie looked so hot and Joohyun just nodding to everything. Even eating lunch couldn’t be a second longer for her, it should be spent on studying.

After all, she was always like this. She was born like this. Bae Joohyun, the girl who had everything with her face, body and even skills and talents. You could say she’s near perfection, but for her, she is still far from that.

When her parents died while she was 5, the little girl didn’t even shed a single tear; instead, she went to those who cried and soothed them. She loved her parents so much, but for her, that’s it. That happens. People die. She quickly accepted that and since then, she had to live with her grandmother in Seoul where she met her neighbor and long-time friend, Wendy.

However, despite her nature, she’s having a hard time with her feelings from time to time. There are times when she wanted to care, but she can’t. Times when she wanted to feel what love is, but can’t. It was like her brain overtook her heart completely and she worked like a robot. She didn’t want to be one, but she is.

 

“Class in 10 minutes and we haven’t gotten out of this freaking room, Bae Joohyun!”

 

She looked up at Wendy and gave her a gesture to go out, her eyes not leaving the textbook she was reading since the bell rang earlier.

But Wendy isn’t letting her have her way today. No, not today. She’s sick of seeing her friend practically live her life in the classroom with the books and notebooks and all those Wendy didn’t even bother touching. In a swift motion, she grabbed Joohyun’s wrist and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter