Chapter 8

Scream. Jessica, Scream.

Three hours. Three hours were how long that I’ve been dissecting the book I had acquired a week ago. I only chose to look into it now because I was scared what I might find in there. But I was recently motivated to look because of an incident yesterday. Let’s just say the voices are very persistent. I am slowly losing my mind.

For the past three hours I had read the over the chapter about banshees. Ever since that incident with the ghost lady, that word has been stuck in my head ever since. I didn’t know that to think after analyzing the text over and over again.

Am I a banshee? What does that actually mean for me? Am I really going crazy?

I couldn’t really think anymore on it because a ‘ding’ broke through the silence in my room. It was my phone. It has been such a long time since I heard that tone that it was almost foreign to my ears. I picked it up to see a text from Taecyeon. I wonder what he needs this time. As of recently, he made a name for himself in school. Good looks, decent grades, and great in a number of sports. The only thing that people can’t believe is the fact that he hangs out with me. Even I still can’t believe he would hang out with me. He appointed himself as my official best friend when he learned of my circumstance. I don’t know if he is carefree or just stupid, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Opening the text it read: Up for a late night coffee run?

I felt a smile make its way across my face. As of recently Taecyeon has been the only person that didn’t treat me as if I was a murderer. Everybody has been so cautious around me, probably thinking that they might die if they wrong me in anyway.

After texting back an affirmative, I changed into a more appropriate outfit. Walking downstairs I beelined for the kitchen when I saw Krystal sitting with Sulli in the living room. Look at me, the older sister and afraid of my own little sister. I guess even I’m just as cautious around others.

“Hey, sweetie. What are you doing so dress up?” my dad asks. He was don in an apron while stirring in a pot.

I smiled while responding, “I am going out with a friend.”

“Oh? You and the girls made up?” That kind of dampened my mood.

“Uh, no, not exactly. It’s with a new guy from my school. Ok Taecyeon.”

His eyebrow raised at that moment. “A boy?”

Oops. “It’s not what you think daddy.”

“Uh-huh and what am I supposed to think?” At that moment the doorbell rang. Literally saved by the bell.

“Just a friend and nothing more. I’ve got to go.”

“Make good choices!” he yells while I put on some shoes.

Opening the door I was greeted by a Taecyeon in dress shirt and pull over with the sleeves rolled up. He was also in a pair of khakis. I couldn’t help what came out my mouth. “You know this isn’t what I expect a Taecyeon outside of school would look like.”

This made his eyebrows go up. “Oh, really? And what did you expect?”

“You looked like a leather-jacket-wearing-motorcycle-sports-car-riding kind of type.”

“Well sorry, princess but I’m not your stereotypical k-drama boy. And if we’re judging each other at the moment than you aren’t exactly what I thought of before.”

Looking at my own kitty cat shirt and skinny jean. My hair was in a ponytail, and I was wearing very little makeup. “And what did you expect?”

He just smirked at me while saying, “Skirt-or-dress-wearing-always-in-heels-lots-of-makeup-looking-like-a-doll kind of girl.”

“Well I guess we were both wrong, but didn’t you promise me coffee or something?”

“Right. Well this way to my moderately humble, used truck. We all can’t afford nice things, you know?” he teased.

“I get it, you can’t hold that against me forever.”

“Oh, we’ll see about that.”

The drive to the coffee place was not long, and the place had a very peaceful vibe. We sat at a window seat while waiting for our orders we placed earlier. I was playing my hands when Taecyeon broke the silence I had began to get accustomed to. “So screaming girl, why so quiet?”

My lips quirked up slightly at the joke. “Oh, I don’t know. Maybe I just haven’t found something worth my scream.” This had me cringing and blushing, and Taecyeon popping his eyes wide open in surprised. “You know I’m not even going to admit that even sound the slightest better in my head.” The waiter came by with our orders before leaving. “So what made you want late night coffee?”

He took a sip from his mug before saying, “Well you can say I just wanted an excuse to see you again. And outside of school for that matter. Plus now I think that you deserve the name cat lady.”

“Hahaha,” I laughed sarcastically. “I bet you think you’re really cute right now.”

“Well it’s not like I’ve been told otherwise.”

“And I’ll have you know I have owned a cat before when I was a little girl.”

“Aww I can actually see that.”

“What about you? Any childhood pets?”

“I had a dog actually. His name was Cookie.”

“‘Cookie’? Really?”

“Make fun all you want, but I loved that dog like my own son.” At my raised brow, he continues. “Plus he was always there when I had cookies around. But hey, a best friend is a best friend.”

“Okay, then. How about family?”

“Nuh-uh-uh,” he says while wagging a finger in my face. “My turn.”

“Fine,” I muttered while taking apart my muffin.

“How long have you been living in Seoul?”

“Since I was ten. My family and I moved from the US.”

“No way! Me too,” he exclaims in excitement. “Where from?”

“I thought it was my turn,” I pouted.

“Humor me,” he says with a pout of his own.

I just rolled my eyes before answering him. “California. San Francisco to be exact.”

“Ah, the western coast. I’m from the eastern, Massachusetts is what I like to call it.”

“Okay, family?”

“Mom, dad, both live in Busan right now. Older sister that’s currently taking care of me. How about you?”

“My dad and sister. I think you might know her. Krystal Jung.”

“Yeah, I’ve seen her around. Some of my friends thinks she’s cute.”

“And you?” He opens his mouth to say something but I quickly said, “Humor me?”

“Touché,” he says while a smirk settle across his face. “I didn’t really notice her. I mean I guess she kind of cute but not really my type.” He leaned a little closer over his crossed arms. “I actually have my eyes on another particular girl.”

“Can I get a hint?”

“Not this time. My turn?”

“Fine.”

“You said ‘dad and sister’, so what about your mother?”

My heart stop at that moment. “Oh, um she died actually.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“No it’s okay. It was a long time ago. Nothing could have prevented it from happening.” Finishing up the last of my coffee, I smirk as I asked, “So about this girl….”

“I think this coffee meetup is coming to an end. I’ll drive you home, it’s getting late.”

I pouted while saying, “You’re not being fair.”

“I like to think I am. I mean I invited you, drove you here, will drive you back home, answer you questions, and let’s not forget that I paid for everything. So I think I’m being quite fair princess.”

“I think you know what I mean, you are just deflecting.”

“And I think that it’s high time for you to go home. Come on before the real bad boys come on.”

“Oh. My. God~!” I groaned while falling into the truck. “Let that go would you.”

“Never,” he grins out at me while starting the car. “You should be like this more often in school. I like this Sica a little more.”

“We’ll see,” I mutter while he drive me home.

 


I know I'm sorry for the long update. But hopefully I'm back for now. Comment, subscribe, do what you feel. Thank you!