Chapter 4

Scream. Jessica, Scream.

Beep… Beep… Beep… Beep…

God, what is that awful noise? Just let me sleep in peace.

Beep… Beep… Beep…

Ugh, why do I feel like crap?

Beep… Beep… Beep… Beep…

That’s it.

Without further a thought, my eyes shot open and I regretted it immediately. I squinted for a while waiting for my eyes to adjust to the harsh light. When I deemed it okay, I slowly open my eyes and took in my surrounding.

On both side of me were machines that were connected to me one way or another. On my wrist was what appeared to be a hospital tag, and right across from me on a couch laid my sister. She was curled up in a fetal position trying to stay warm.

I continued to stare until I heard the door open to my left. My dad just step into the room, and I could tell by the way his clothes and hair look that he hasn’t been taking care of himself. He must’ve not notice my awareness as he went over to Krystal and fixed her blanket.

As soon as he finished, he turned my way and gave a shock expression. “Jessie?”

“Hi, daddy,” I said. I notice how hoarse my voice was.

Walking over to my bedside table, he filled a glass with water and handed it to me. Helping me sit up and drink, he asks me, “Are you alright? We thought we lost you.”

Looking back at him startled, I ask, “What do you mean by that?”

“Sweetheart, what was the last thing you remember?”

Thinking of his question, I began to recall what had happen to me before waking up. As slowly as I remember, I said, “I remember going to school. And then there was a carnival? Yes, I went to that carnival-thing with the girls. But then I went home early. And then…”

As those words left my mouth, my ears began to buzz. Looking around for the source I saw the fluorescent bulbs in the ceiling. I stared at it intently before it began to flicker rapidly, causing me to flinch away but I didn’t know why. That’s when it dawn on to me.

“Jessica.” My dad voice came out of nowhere, breaking me out of my trance. Turning to him, he looks even more concern – if that was possible. “What happen?”

“Lightning,” I said grimly. “A lightning bolt almost struck me.” Turning towards my dad, I saw him giving me a confused expression. “What?”

“What are you talking about, Jessie? Where would a lightning bolt come at a time like this?”

Looking at his facial expression, I knew that he wasn’t kidding. “But I saw it?” Without a care of my condition, I got of bed and walk over to my sister’s bag and took out her phone. Scrolling through the weather app, there seem to be no traces of rain let alone a thunderstorm. But how is that possible.

“Jessie, honey, are you sure you saw what you saw?” he ask me.

“I- I- I don’t know, daddy. I honestly don’t know.”

Turning around I cried silently into his shoulder overwhelmed by this confusion of what’s happening to me.

 

 

--

 

 

I sat on the bed and watch as the sun rose in the distance. It was currently 5:45 in the morning but I managed to get my dad to get me discharged. I was in the room alone while my dad was filling out the papers. Krystal was off at home getting ready for school. I kind of wish I was in her position right now.

Finally finding energy I walk into the bathroom and got ready for my shower. Without a care in the world, I strip and step into the ice-cold shower. I stood there feeling numb for a while before I began to wash myself. Halfway through my shower, I began to here it again. The whipers.

I tried to tune it out but it seems to be relentless. Finally having enough, I shut off the showerhead and step out into the bathroom. I stood there for a while in complete silence. I thought I was losing it until I heard it again.

Grabbing my clothes I began to dress quickly before practically running out of the restroom and into my dad.

“Whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa, where’s the fire?”

“I- what?”

“It was a figure of speech, honey.” He gave me a concern look before asking, “Are you sure you don’t want to stay another night?”

“Dad, I’m fine, really,” I said, trying to convince myself as well. “I just really want to get out of here.”

“Alright, how about I go grab some snack for the way home and you go find the car?” he ask handing me the keys.

I took them with a smile and said, “Sure. Be quick though, dad.”

“I’ll see you soon.”

Taking off I grabbed my bag with school supplies and walk out of my room and went to find an elevator. It wasn’t long until I had found one. I press the button and waited until I heard a ‘Ding’. I was about to step in to the already full elevator but the same time a nurse, who seem to be in a hurry, was about to step in as well. Being generous I allowed him access and waited for another one.

The next one to show was surprisingly empty. With no further thought I step in and pressed the basement button. I felt the jolt of the elevator moving and waited until I got to my destination. I pulled out my phone and began to distract myself with some newsfeed and gossip. It wasn’t long before I heard the familiar ‘Ding’ and waited for the door to open.

I kept my eyes focused on my phone and continue walking. I was surprised that the entire time I didn’t bump into any cars. I had just finished reading a gossip article when I began to notice surrounding. I wasn’t in the garage, but rather the on open garden for the patients.

I couldn’t comprehend what was happening until a retched smell entered my nostrils. Following the foul odor, I began to notice how nobody else was around. Everything in my body told me to go back and find my dad, but my curiosity got the best of me, and I continue to follow the smell.

By the time I came to a rose bush I began to notice little flies hanging around. With shaking hands, I pushed aside the bush and stared in horror at the sight before me. There behind the roses was a boy, no older than ten, covered in blood all over him. His chest remained still meaning that he has little to survive on or he was already dead.

Fearing the latter option, I did the only thing I could think of: I opened my mouth and let out a horrified scream, unaware that it was the exact same one from before.

 


Hello, readers. I know I know  this is really short. I just didn't it for this chapter but I'll try to upload another longer chapter soon. Until then comments please and subscribe if you wish...