Chapter 3

Scream. Jessica, Scream.

Sighing to myself, I watch as Leeteuk wrapped his arms around Taeyeon as he taught her how to shoot the water gun into the target to make the water balloon explode. It was the cutest thing to watch yet at the same time, it made me feel like I’m third wheeling – or more like 17th-wheeling. It turned out that Donghae had to stay home for a family party-thing and only remembered to call last minute to let me know.

Looking back around at the couple, I began to walk away to distract myself. I manage to walk over to a ring toss booth when I heard a whispering. It sounded faint, as if it didn’t necessarily wanted me to hear it. I look around until my eyes came upon a man across the crowded area. Before I could continue to stare, I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning around I found Sooyoung standing there with a worried look etch on her face.

“What’s wrong?” I blurted out, concern for my friend.

She shook her head and asks me, “Where did you go? Everybody was getting worried when you didn’t return.”

“Sorry, I just felt a little left out when everybody have their significant others and I’m all alone. I just wanted to escape that love fest.”

“Hey, if you feel left out, we can just get the girls together and leave the boys to their own shenanigans. How does that sound?” she asks with a hopeful look. I knew I couldn’t deny that face of hers.

“Alright, let’s head back.”

“Actually, I have to go to the ladies room. Come with?”

Scoffing at this girl’s bladder control, I shrugged and agreed. We walk all the way to the restroom area but I told the taller girl that I’ll be waiting outside rather than going in. She thought nothing of it while she made her way inside the building.

I stood there for quite some time before I heard the whispering again. I turn my head left and right but I still couldn’t find anything out of the ordinary. I did another three-sixty when I felt a sudden tap on my shoulder. With a sudden jerk I came face to face with Sooyoung. Letting out a breath I didn’t know I was holding I ask her,

“What took you so long?”

She gave a confused look before answering me. “I was only gone for a couple of minutes. Are you okay, Sica?”

“Yes, I promised that I’m fine,” I said as I grabbed a hold of her hands.

“Alright, I guess I can let you off the hook for now.” She turned her head and notice something in the distance. “Hey, Jessica, let’s check out that fortune-telling booth, please,” the tall girl pleaded while dragging along her best friend.

“Sooyoung, my feet are practically dying. Can we just sit?” I complained. “Plus we’re supposed to be going back to the others by the food court.”

“Just come on!” she exclaimed, successfully reaching her desired designation.

“Well hello there you two. Would you like your fortune told?” a young woman greeted them. Based upon her looks, the lady appeared to be in her mid to early 20s.

“Not me, but I think my friend would like to have a crack at it,” Sooyoung said while pushing me into the chair.

“Uh, excuse me?” I exclaim in shock.

“I’ll be outside,” she patted my head.

“Um, I really don’t wanna be here, so I’ll just leave you be,” I tried to bail.

“You’re very pretty, dear. An innocent flower one would say,” the woman spoke. Seeing no other options, I sat back down. “But do you know what I see? I see a serpent. A demon, you would even say.”

“Excuse me!”

“Come on, contrary to popular belief I am very much real. And I can see what’s underneath this good girl image,” the woman sneered. “And I see death. I see a woman about to scream for mercy.”

“Ok, I’m not going to sit here and have you make false accusations!” I finally exclaimed. “I’m leaving.” The moment I made it outside, I was hit with a cold breeze. “That woman, who does she think she is?”

I continued walking until I heard someone calling for me. “Jessica!” turning around I found Sooyoung looking frantic. Once she caught up, she began talking really fast, “Where were you? I thought you were waiting for me outside the restroom. But when I came out looking for you, you were gone.”

“What are you talking about? We left together and you took me to a fortuneteller, right there,” I told her while pointing towards the tent. Turning around though, I was surprise to see a different booth for shooting darts.

“What fortuneteller?”

“It was there. Wasn’t it?” I began questioning myself.

“Come on, everybody else is waiting for us,” she said while dragging me along.

Am I going to die?’ I thought as the woman’s words replayed in my head.

 

 

--

 

 

Looking at my phone screen, I sighed at the thought of being single surrounded by couple. Sure they offered me to join in on their festivities but I didn’t want to burden them. Choosing comfort over anything else, I grabbed my purse and made my way to the parking lot. After sending a quick text to the girls, I started my car and made my way back home.

As I began the journey home, I heard the thunder from earlier and look up towards the sky. ‘That’s odd,’ I thought to myself. No clouds but there were lightning. Not taking my chances, I chose a quick detour home. It slowly dawn on to me that I seem to be the only one on the road.

Before I could continue my train of thoughts, a lightning bolt came down and struck the road in front of me. Out of pure shock, I swerved off the road and a moment of déjà-vu dawn on me before I crashed into a tree. In my weary state I heard the whispering again, but now I could decipher what it’s saying.

“…excellent…”

“Got her where I want her…”

“…nothing stands in my way…”

 


 Comment & Subscribe plz! I'm begging!