Chapter 2

Scream. Jessica, Scream.

Did I really crack the window glass? I mean how can I even? My voice can go high but never that dangerous; let alone waking up the entire neighborhood. How can that even be possible?

“Ms. Jung,” a deep voice interrupted my thought, “I would prefer it if you would pay attention in my class and save your sketching skills for art class later.” Now aware that most of my peers were snickering at my misfortune, I look up at Mr. Lee.

“I’m sorry?” I ask idiotically.

Scoffing at my lack of excuse he said, “Detention with me after school.” After putting a note for detention on my desk, he turns to walk away.

I just continue to stare at him as he walks back to the board, continuing his lesson that I must’ve missed. I was left dumbfound in my seat for a while until I felt a tap behind me. Turning in my seat, I saw Taeyeon looking at me with a concern look.

“You okay, Sica.”

“I don’t- I don’t know,” I said honestly. Without giving her a chance to voice her growing concern I turn back around and look at my notebook. What was in it though caught me off guard. Rather than notes on wavelength and pulses, it was a picture of my cracked window. Except it was more up close on the crack. What was most disturbing was that the crack was in the exact same form; from every indent to the ending points.

Jumping up in my seat, I stared at the sketch with fear running through my body. Why am I drawing this? Why does it look exactly the same?

Before my mind could comprehend this phenomenon, the bell’s shrill sound broke me out of my stupor.

“Sica, come on let’s get to lunch,” Taeyeon said beside me.

Putting all my stuff inside my bag, we made my way to our lockers to put our stuff away. After replacing books for our afternoon classes, we both went to the cafeteria and met the other girls on the way.

Sitting at our usual table, I chose to stay quite while the other girls chat about their everyday lives. Playing around with my food, I began to tune out the world when Yoona nudged my shoulder with hers.

Turning her way, she ask, “You okay, Jessica.”

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?”

“Well we were talking about going to a carnival later with the guys, but you zones out. Are you sure you’re not feeling well?”

“Yoona, I’m fine.” Turning to the other girls I said louder, “I’m fine, really.”

“But what about earlier?” Taeyeon asks.

“I had a nightmare last night and I guess the chills are still there,” I shrugged. “I’ll get over it.”

“What kind of nightmare?” Seohyun asks, obviously interested. In fact they all were.

“Nothing, I just had a dream that I died and stuff.”

“What did you jump off a cliff or something?” Yuri asks jokingly.

“Or something…” I muttered to myself. Putting on a smile I asks, “So what’s this carnival you guys are talking about?”

And like that, the girls went off on the plans on going to a carnival with their boyfriends. I just smiled at their excited auras. Nothing can ruin this for them.

 

--

 

Planting myself onto my bed, I let out an exhausted sigh. Detention with Mr. Lee is never fun. I got up and got myself dressed for later. Apparently the guys are meeting us there. As I place the finishing touches to my make-up, I felt drawn to my window again.

Walking over I went to where I last saw the crack. To my surprise, it wasn’t even there. But why?

Getting up I walk down stairs and found my dad watching a soccer game. “Hey, dad, were you in my room earlier?”

“No, honey. Why?” he ask not turning away from the screen.

“Nothing, just asking.”

Hearing a jingling, I look at my phone in my hand and saw a text message from Sooyoung. She was wondering why it was taking me so long to pick her up. Sending a quick text, I returned to my room and grab my purse, hat, and keys.

As I left the house I swore I heard thunder rumbling, but when I look up I saw an endless clear blue sky.

I am going insane.

Without thinking about it, I walk into my car, unaware that my life was about to change. For the better, or for the worst, though?