Chapter 1

Scream. Jessica, Scream.

Hope you guys like this! Leave a comment and tell me what you think!

 


 

White. That was all I could see: white. Like legitimately white. There was nothing for the eye can see. Just nothing. It was as if I went to bed last night and woke up in a world void of everything from the dirt beneath me to the sky above.

Without another thought I began walking around aimlessly, just hoping to stumble upon something that my sanity can latch onto. I didn’t know long I’ve been at this, but I began to notice a flicker of something in the distance. A fire maybe. Not risking my chances of something, I began to run as fast I could towards it.

Keeping my soul focus on the flickering in the distance, I fail to notice how the white-world began to dim into darkness the closer I got. By the time I got there I notice the how colder and darker everything was. Releasing a shiver I finally notice my attire which consist of a white nightgown.

Before I could utter my disbelief and misfortune, I began to feel a sudden warmth. Probably emanating from the fire. Finally looking up, I saw what look like to be accident. By the looks of it, it seems as if a car accident. The driver must have not seen the tree or may have swerved off the road and crash. Whatever it was, I don’t think they can survive if nobody calls for help.

Looking back down at my attire, I ran towards the car to try and save them. But I stopped. Finally seeing the person in the car, everything began to look familiar. That’s my car, and if that’s my car, then that’s obviously me.

This isn’t true, it can’t be. Stepping even closer I notice something at my feet. A hat. And not just any hat. It was the hat my boyfriend Donghae had given me from his trip to France. Looking up I definitely saw myself in the driver seat. I began to hyperventilate. This can’t be. I can’t die.

I felt something churning inside of me. Probably my dinner about to come out. Wait, can a ghost regurgitate food. Soon the churning turned into a burning kind of feeling that rose to my throat. It was irritable to say the least. I thought it was because of the fire and smoke making me want to cough, but the burn wouldn’t stop. Scratching my throat and thrashing around seem futile, so I just let it out.

I scream.

At first, I thought nothing of it. A second past before I realized that it didn’t sound like my ‘dolphin scream’ as people would’ve pointed out. I mean it was there, but not all of it. If anything it sounded unearthly wail. It sounded like multiple screams, wails, and screeches all layer on top of one another, creating an eerie wail in its wake.

It didn’t even stop there. As soon as I stop to breath the burn came back, and I let it out again. And again. And again. And again. It was uncontrollable.

My body began to shake when I felt someone yelling in my ear. And then I scream back, as if the voice was real. I didn’t know how long that went before I felt the air leave my lungs and the world turn black.

 

--

 

Gasping for air, my eyes pop open while my body automatically jerks up into a sitting position. I stared into space for what felt like forever. I soon began to register panic voices calling out to me. Turning my head, I saw my sister, Krystal, and dad beside me.

“Sweetheart, are you okay?” my father asks me as he placed my head onto his shoulder.

Nodding my head in a jerky motion, I said, “Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?” My mind began to register how hoarse my voice was. How come?

“’Why?’! Are you seriously asking, ‘Why?’?” Krystal interrupted my dad. She sounded panic.

“Krystal,” he warned her. He gave her a look when she wanted to protest. Seeing her staying quiet, he turns back to me. “Did you have a nightmare?”

“Um, yeah. But what does that have to do with you being in here?”

“We heard your scream, sweetheart,” he told me gently. Releasing a breath of relief I relax in his arms.

“Is that all?” I ask. “It’s ok, I just had a bad dream, and so I scream. No biggie.”

“That’s the thing, Honey,” he told me slowly. Seeing my confused expression, he continues. “While we were trying to wake you up, the neighbors began to call. They thought our house were under attack.”

My expression must have shown my confusion because Krystal took a hold of my hands. “Sica, you awoken almost the entire neighborhood. They were calling the house up like a storm. I even swear you almost burst my eardrum if I hadn’t tackled you.”

“What? Dad, is that true?”

Seeing his solemn nod, I stayed quiet. Afterward, we just sat there in my room in silence. Soon enough I began to notice the sun rising through my window. Feeling movement I turn to see my dad getting up and kissing my sister and I on our foreheads before telling us to get ready for school.

Swinging my legs over the bed I got up and went to my closet. I prepared my uniform and got ready to shower. By then I notice my sister still sitting there on my bed.

“Hey, Krys, aren’t you going to get ready?”

“Are you sure you’re okay?” she asks totally ignoring my question.

Walking over to her I grabbed her hands and dragged her out of my room. “I’m fine. See.” I made a three-sixty to prove my point. “I’m one hundred percent fine. Now get ready. I’m supposed to pick up Fany and Taeng later.”

Finally leaving, I walk back into my room and went to take a shower in my personal bath. After finishing my shower, make-up, and hair, I went back into my room and got dressed. After I had finish putting on my tie, I began to hear something.  It was like whispers. And not just one person whispering, but multiple as is several people were trying to talk to me.

Turning in circles I tried to locate. Who’s in my room? It reaches to the point I stop spinning and look directly at my window. As if in a trance, I walk over to it. My hand had a mind of its own as my finger traced over a crack. Wait a minute! A crack!?!

I took a closer look and it was indeed a crack in my balcony window. It was too small for someone trying to break in, so what could it be. My mind was then drawn back to what my dad and sister said.

“…nightmare.”

“…awoken almost the entire neighborhood.”

“…burst my entire eardrum…”

“Am I really, okay?”