Chapter 6

Scream. Jessica, Scream.

Putting away my last book I turn to see some student making their way to the auditorium. A frown made its way onto my face as I watch as my friends making their way there without turning to me. The boys were even with them. I saw as Donghae place his arms around Yoona’s arm in a very intimate way. She didn’t even object. That hurt. I guess I lost a boyfriend as well.

I didn’t know how long I was standing and staring until I felt a presence behind me. Turning I found the new student from before standing behind me with a smile. Returning it with a small one of my own I ask, “Can I help you…?”

“Taecyeon,” he answered. I stared in awe as he actually answered me. Had he not heard what people had talk about me?

“Taecyeon,” I repeated. “What can I do for you?”

Taking a quick look behind me he then asks, “What’s going on in there?”

Without turning to see, I answered, “It’s just auditions for the upcoming talent show in Christmas.”

“And you aren’t going to try?”

“Um, excuse me but who do you think I am?”

“Uh Jessica Jung. Student. Senior. Potential friend?” He finishes with a smile.

I was shock at his honesty. “Wow. How do you know my name?”

“People talk,” he replied with a shrug. Nodding I began walking away from him. He began to follow. “I didn’t mean it in a bad way.”

“Well with the way things are going my way, there probably isn’t a good way.”

“Hey, I don’t believe in that stuff if that’s what you think. I just moved here, and I just don’t want to start by avoiding the girl that helped me on my first day.”

Turning to him I gave him a nod while saying, “Ok.”

We began to continue walking in silence before he continued. “Plus if you did kill that kid, then hey, that’s cool. I always wanted a killer friend.”

“You’re very weird aren’t you?” I couldn’t help but asking.

“And you’re just blunt.” he countered with a smirk. With an eye roll we continued walking in silence. It lasted for five minutes before Taecyeon started talking again. “Where are we headed to by the way?”

With an eye roll, I answered him. “I am going to my car.”

With an eye roll of his own he said, “Well I might be new here but this isn’t the way to the front door.” Pulling out a map – probably from the front office – he pointed to a random location. “This is where we are at. See? The mathematics hallway.”

“No possible way this is the-” I turn to point at our area until I realized that the room numbers on the map match the ones displayed in the hallway. “What?”

“Are you ok?” he asks me concern.

“Yeah but how is this possible? I took the same directions as always. Left-left-downstairs-right.”

“No you took a right-left-and then a left.”

“But that makes no sense.” Looking up I noticed an eraser on the ground. Somehow that little object just took me to another world. Almost as if the nothing else existed but the eraser and me. Following my instinct I walk up to it and bent down to pick it up. Coming back up I turn towards the classroom it came out of – its door was wide open. Feeling the strange pull I walk into the room, totally missing Taecyeon’s constant call of “Jessica” behind me.

Making my way into the room, I didn’t notice anything out of order except for the writing on the board. I turn towards the back of the room and found a horrific sight. A man, possibly the teacher, hung by his neck and a chair kicked from beneath him.

With wide eyes I belch out a horrific shriek, one that can definitely pierce human ears.

 

 

--

 

 

Thirty minutes. That’s how long it took before the police came to the school to investigate. I was sitting in a different classroom not far from the scene. The remaining students that stayed behind had apparently heard my scream as they soon came to see what was going on. Great more things to drive me down the social ladder.

I was interrupted from my thoughts by Taecyeon. He managed to calm me down after my panic attack. He came into the room with a cup of coffee? He must have seen my confused look because he told me, “I snuck it from the teacher lounge. You look like you need it.”

With a strain smile I told him thanks before taking the beverage.

We settled into a comforting silence before it was interrupted by two officers coming in and began their interrogation. It didn’t last long before they left. Even after they left I continue to stare off into space. It didn’t last long before Taecyeon nudge be back into reality. I saw his concern smile and waved it off.

I got up and made my way outside to my car. This time without walking into a crime scene. On the way there I felt my phone vibrating, notifying me of an update. Taking it out, I found what the notification was. It was a post of what happened earlier. In big caps read ‘Danger: Jessica Jung Strikes Again. Mr. Jeon found dead in his own classroom…’

“Oh, great just what I need,” I muttered to myself.

Turning to me with a questioning gaze, Taecyeon asks, “What’s the matter?”

“Just another reason for people to hate me and/or think that I’m a crazy psycho. Other than that I’m fine,” I replied sarcastically.

Turning me around to look at him he looks into my eyes and said, “I don’t think you’re crazy.”

Heaving out a sigh, I look down at my shoes and replied, “Well you might want to start. Sooner or later you’re just gonna be like everyone else. And then it’s just me against the world.” Uttering out that last part, I turn on my heels and walk the rest of the way to my car, not caring if the boy was following me or not.

 

 

--

 

 

After getting home I stumbled upon a study-sesh between Krystal and her friends. She wouldn’t even greet me normally anymore. I really wanted to cry. But instead I ran upstairs and changed into some comfortable clothes and left through my balcony window. I climbed up the roof and just sat there.

This was where I use to go when I truly wanted to be alone. I found it comforting when it seemed like fate was against you. As I sat there now I finally began to let out everything that I was hold onto the entire day.

I cried. I yelled. I screamed. I hit the roof. I regretted it. I just unleashed all the tension I didn’t know I was withholding. It almost felt comforting. Almost.

As my crying subsided, I look into the cloudless night and watch the twinkling in the stars. Sometimes its times like this that I truly wish to leave this place. To leave this world. To join the stars above and never come back.

“I just wish to understand why I am even on this earth…”

Unknowingly a star shot a across the sky as those words uttered to life.