Letting Loose

Survival Instincts (Forward and Backward Pt. 2)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Nope. I don't approve."

Minhee rolled her eyes and gave Hanbin a look. "As if that kind of relationship is going to work with us. You have another thing coming if you think you can speak to me like that."

From the counter, Jinhwan raised an eyebrow as he brought his spoon to his mouth and watched what happened almost on a daily basis. Minhee was really... a dose of medicine Hanbin needed. Several thousand doses actually. You were somewhat glad you didn't have to do the babysitting anymore. She did a better job than you ever could've. Whenever he seemed even the slightest bit controlling, she called him on it. 

"Come on, Min," Hanbin said, his strong tone immediately dropping to pleading. Jinhwan snorted as he shook his head, already predicting that'd happen. "I'm just worried."

"Worried," Minhee snorted as she shook her head. "About what? It's just a party. I've gone to hundreds of them."

"College parties are different," Hanbin pointed out. "I know what goes on there." 

"Says the guy not in college," Yunhyeong added as he came back from the bathroom. He fell back on the couch and stretched out his legs. "Since when did you get so protective?"

"Since ever," you replied dully, vaguely remembering high school Hanbin who got into trouble everyday while also getting mad at you for having a boyfriend.

"Anyway, don't worry," Minhee replied as she threw an arm over your shoulder and gave Hanbin a smile. "I can take care of Ahri just fine."

You raised an eyebrow. "Take care of what?"

"Yeah, well, I also think someone should be taking care of you," Hanbin replied dryly as he curled a lip and gave Minhee an irritated look. It was amazing how many expressions and tones could cross through him over such a short period of time when he was talking to her. 

Just then, the door opened and Bobby walked in, his work shirt ed and stained with grease. He rolled back his shoulders and sighed as he removed his hat and tossed it on the table. "Jesus, I could hear your voice from the elevator, Hanbin."

Jinhwan moved over on the counter for Bobby to drop down on the stool beside him. He gave you a smile in greeting and ran a hand through his hair. He looked completely tired, but at least he was in a decent mood. You smiled once in greeting and another because you were glad he wasn't in the condition you'd had haunting you for months.

"All I'm saying is you two need to be careful," Hanbin replied as he knotted his arms across his chest. He scoffed and shook his head. "The least you could've done is ugly yourself up a little. I mean, are you looking for a second boyfriend, Minhee?"

You shrugged. It practically took Minhee an arm and a leg to get you to doll yourself up to this extent and even the extent wasn't that much. She thanked natural beauty for the harmless process.

"You're being unnecessary," you replied plainly as you started off to the door. "We'll be back when we'll be back, and you'll be happy with it."

Minhee gave Hanbin a satisfied look before following you through the door with confident strides. As the door closed behind you two, Hanbin gave Bobby a look as though he was disappointed in him for something. Bobby gave him an oblivious look as he balled up his uniform shirt and chucked it to the couch. "What?"

"They're going to a party," Hanbin replied. "A college party."

"You're the only one obsessing over this," Yunhyeong called from the couch. "You're too controlling, Hanbin. Even I feel smothered by you." 

"Then let them," Bobby replied with a shrug as he stuck a spoon in Jinhwan's food. "Not my girlfriend, not my problem."

Yunhyeong snorted as Bobby continued to eat without any care in his expression. "What a facade. Even when you dated Ahri, she did what she wanted. What are you trying to prove?"

Bobby curled a lip as he looked at Yunhyeong, but he didn't say anything because maybe he could've been right. Even though Yunhyeong did some questionable things, his observations were almost always correct. 

 

 

 ///

 

 

Minhee swung an arm around you as you both walked into the loud, crowded dorm room the party was in. "You, my friend, are in desperate need of a pick-me-up. Bobby this, Bobby that; well, Bobby's not here, last time I checked."

You nodded, knowing she had a point. It seemed like Bobby was doing much better now, so maybe you deserved to give yourself more breathing room. Parties were never really your thing, but it kept you in constant movement which was good. Besides, he could take care of himself. Like he said, the most important thing now was him finding out how to fix himself on his own. 

"Perfect," Minhee said as she reached down into a cooler and picked up a can of beer. She handed it to you and grinned as she caught your raised eyebrow. "Don't worry, there won't be any kissing random guys on my watch. Unless that's what you want, then... well you definitely have eyes on you."

You looked around and found guys eyeing you up and down, which probably made most girls uncomfortable, but was something you were desensitized to by now. Some of the guys were handsome, but that was nothing beyond observation. You looked back at Minhee and shook your head. "No kissing random boys tonight."

You took a sip of your beer and shrugged. "Doesn't mean we can't have fun, though." 

"Ah," Minhee sighed contentedly as she picked up a bottle of whiskey and tucked it under her arm as you two continued on, "college, the time for experimenting." 

 

 

///

 

Apparently while you and Minhee were at the party, Yunhyeong wanted a guys' night. Bobby was completely worn out from work, but Yunhyeong concluded Bobby was becoming "too boring" and Bobby decided to stay just to keep his pride in tact. He had to admit it, though; working nonstop everyday wasn't going to make his current situation any better. He needed to do something to keep his spirits up.

This, however, was not it.

He took a sip of his beer and blankly watched the drama playing on the TV.

Beside him, Hanbin was shaking his head. "I trust her. I do. It's them I don't trust."

"Hanbin, it would be a lot better if you thought quieter," Jinhwan said as he squinted at the TV, not looking that interested, but was the only one who was paying very much attention. He leaned back and shook his head, finally giving up on trying to figure out what was going on.

Bobby finally stood up as soon as the main characters started screaming and he felt a headache coming on. His back aching as he did so. He gestured with his beer to the TV and scoffed. "If this is all we're going to do, I'm just going to take a shower and go to sleep. Their voices are giving me a headache."

"Boring Bobby," Yunhyeong said under his breath as he shook his head. "You can't go to sleep now."

Bobby stopped in his steps and sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Well, then, you need to have a better plan than watching dramas. None of us even like dramas."

Jinhwan finally sighed as he got up and gave everyone a disappointed look for their lack of effort. "Why don't we just skate then? We haven't done that in a while." 

Bobby shrugged as he headed to his room. "Now that makes sense."

 

///

 

 

You laughed into Minhee's shoulder, the alcohol alive and vibrant in your body. You two were out on the rooftop, finally taking the time to catch up about everything. It was good to take your mind off of the things that had been weighing on you and actually have a genuinely good time.

"Who'd have thought things would end up like this?" Minhee said as she leaned against the wall and laughed contentedly. "It used to be so much easier when it was just me and you. Hanbin drives me nuts."

You laughed, much harder than you usually would've if you weren't so drunk, and even though it was not much of a display, it meant a lot when it was from you. You only laughed loudly with one person, and well... "He's always been the same Hanbin. I don't know why you're so surprised."

"You're right," Minhee said with a slight snort. "I love him. He's the only one who can put up with me and I'm the only one who can put up with him. We're stuck together, I guess."

"I wish Bobby and I could've made it work," you said with a sigh as you kept your eyes forward, not really in focus on anything. "We didn't work out so perfectly as you and Hanbin. You're lucky."

"Oh, please," Minhee replied as she shook her head and played with a bottle cap between her fingers. "Hanbin and I aren't perfect. Every so often I have to throw something at him, he'll yell, I'll yell, we make up and forget why. It's not perfect, but we make it work."

"But you still love each other," you replied as you tilted your head to the side and smiled slightly. "It's p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter