Art of Seduction

Survival Instincts (Forward and Backward Pt. 2)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As it turned out, your mom had scheduled one of those monthly family dinners again for tonight. Since you were all away from home now, she was doing her best to make sure you visited home as often as possible, so you couldn't really complain about it. After the trainwreck dinner last time, you could understand why she'd be particularly pushy. Even though Bobby and Jinhwan had to work at the bar that night, the rest of you made sure to attend.

The moment she saw you, she smiled and affectionately smoothed out your hair. "Now this the daughter I know. Who was the grumpy girl who came last time?"

You didn't know how she could see such a difference just by looking at you (really, you were still at the door) but maybe it had to do something with the fact that you were scratch-free and didn't look so exhausted. Anyway, it helped from having to explain why. If Hanbin told her you and Bobby were together now, it saved you time.  

"I don't see any difference, Ma, Ahri's always grumpy," Hanbin joked as he walked into the house, immediately stumbling when he missed the raise in the floor. He caught himself, but it didn't erase the ungraceful trip or the amused reactions that came from it by the boys who walked in after him. 

Your mom sighed. "Twenty-one years old and I still have to worry about your safety. How many times have you walked through that door, Hanbin?"

"Instant karma," you mumbled as you looked at him, your expression just as cold as old times. Hanbin only glared, too used to tripping to lose much pride over it. He was just relieved he didn't drop the dish he brought over. 

"I'm sad Jinhwan and Jiwon can't be here," your mom replied as she exhaled tiredly with a slight frown. "My two favorite sons are too busy to see their mom now, I see."

"Excuse me?" Hanbin blurted as he widened his eyes and pointed to himself. "Me. I'm your favorite son, mom."

"Give me grandchildren first and then I'll think about it," your mom countered sharply, enough for Hanbin to bring his face back and clear his throat, shifting his attitude.

He nodded once, either to show he understood to fix his attitude or to show he understand what she said. Chances were it wasn't the latter. 

Minhee nearly choked as she passed by and heard your mom's reply. She pressed a mild, almost painful smile and bowed to your mom, pretending she didn't hear it. "Hello."

"Hi, Minhee," your mom replied, smiling warmly. She didn't really like Minhee in high school since she had a sort of rebellious air about her in a very obvious kind of way, but it seemed she realized a tough girlfriend was exactly who was needed to keep Hanbin safe and in line when your mom couldn't. Now, she couldn't be happier with Minhee, and accepted her with open arms. If he had a softer girlfriend, she probably wouldn't last very long or Hanbin wouldn't last very long. Now all she wanted from Minhee was a grandchild, which stressed Minhee out from time to time -- this being one of those times.

You didn't care as long as the pressure wasn't put on you. You didn't want kids... not now not ever.

"Ah, what a pretty daughter-in-law," your mom replied as she looked at Minhee and pressed a smile to her face. "A pretty girl to make pretty grandchildren."

Minhee's face mechanically turned to Hanbin but he could only offer an unhelpful shrug. Minhee always had to do the difficult dirty work. She gave him an even more urgent look and Hanbin struggled for a reply. "Mom, Minhee and I don't even have stable jobs and we're like basically kids still. This isn't the time for that."

"That's why you have me," your mom countered, unfazed and unconvinced. "Of course I'll help out. You two can live here if you want."

Minhee closed her eyes and sighed lightly. Hanbin didn't do much to show his obvious look of disgust. "Ma!" 

Junhoe took off his shoes and walked through the door just as your mom opened to protest. "What's that?"

"Babies," you answered plainly, only a sideline watcher in this entire ordeal.

"Oh, I love babies!" Junhoe beamed as he bundled his hands under his chin. Minhee and Hanbin glared unamusedly as he continued, not catching the hint. "Their heads smell so nice!"

"No one's having babies!" Hanbin blurted, finally reaching his boiling point. He gave everyone incredulous looks before throwing up his hands. "This conversation is stressing me out and I don't like it! I'm only twenty-one! That baby might be more mature than I am! I can't hold a baby if I can't even walk without falling!"

 

 

///

 

 


You were glad you and Bobby never got brought up for discussion, but it made a lot of sense. Everyone was still a little weirded out by how quickly things had changed, and they didn't quite know how to react, especially since your answers to their questions weren't really helpful. The only people that needed to understand you and Bobby were you and Bobby. You didn't need anyone else to keep up with you two.

As you finished washing the dishes, you answered your phone and pressed it between your shoulder and cheek. "Yes?"

"How much do you miss me?" Bobby answered with a slight chuckle.

You could hear glasses clatter in the background along with loud chatter. You furrowed your eyebrows and turned off the sink. "Are you calling me during your shift? You're going to get fired soon if you continue that."

Bobby laughed, a laugh that made you sigh dazedly. It was always a pain hearing Bobby's laugh without seeing the smile to go along with it. "No I won't. Jinhwan loves me. Jinhwan loves having me around."

It was obvious he intended for Jinhwan to hear that. 

"No I don't!" Jinhwan barked from the side in his usual grumpy tone.

"Anyway, you didn't answer my question," Bobby replied. "How much do you miss me?"

"Why ask if you know I do a lot?" you replied as you dried a bundle of chopsticks and slid them in the utensils drawer. 

"I just like hearing you say it," Bobby said simply. "It warms my heart. Besides, we need to make up for all of that lost time. My heart still remembers the pain like it was yesterday."

You shook your head. You hated thinking about the breakup period, not just from what Bobby said to you and what you and Bobby did on your own, but also what you said to him, which was at a constant forefront in your mind. A part of you, regardless of how things were now, would never forgive yourself for the things you said.

I hate you.

You look like crap.

I'm glad we broke up. You're a terrible person.

While he said similar things to you, it must've been harder on him. You just had the breakup to deal with, and even that you couldn't deal with. Bobby had the breakup and the rest of his life to cope with.

You sighed, your heart aching just as it always did when you really thought about all of it. It was a reason you were more vocal about your affection this time around. You may not be able to rewrite what you said to him in the past, but you could carve a much brighter future. There was more pressure now knowing the things Bobby was dealing with especially in viewing himself.

"You're right," you said as you slid open the kitchen door. "I miss you, too. I can't wait to see you again."

As soon as you said that, your mom came out of nowhere, her eyes wide as you two made eye contact. Her expression instantly turned to anger, which caught you off guard. She was a relatively mellow person aside from a few rare instances. "Who is that?! Your new boyfriend? Why haven't you told me about him?"

You blinked as Bobby replied. "I love you. Do y-"

You pulled the phone away from your ear and dropped your arm to your side, giving her a blank look, which was not helpful to her at all. "I'll tell you later, if you want."

"No!" your mom blurted, making you take a step back. "I don't care about that boy you're talking to. Bobby! Bobby's the only boyfriend of yours I'll acknowledge. Jiwon should be your boyfriend!"

You sighed, pinching the bridge of your nose. "What's up with your weird obsession with Bobby. How is it possible you love him more than I do?"

As the realization slowly spread throughout your mom's expression, you pressed the phone back to your ear and heard Bobby's continuous laughing. "Sorry, had to tell my mom about us. You know how protective she gets about you."

"You didn't tell her yet?" Bobby blurted, the spike in volume making your ear hurt. "Ah, give her the phone."

You handed your mom the phone with a blank expression. "Son-in-law says he wants to talk to you."

Your mom took the phone and hesitantly put it to her ear, her expression hopeful and amazed. "Jiwon, is it you?"

After a moment she pressed her palm to her chest and smiled in relief. "Ah, thank God it's you. I'm glad Ahri finally came to her senses. Thank you for taking that difficult girl back."

You frowned.

Why.

"It's too bad you couldn't make it tonight," she continued with a warm smile, obviously taking her sweet time. She nodded, though Bobby obviously couldn't see it. "Okay. Hurry up and give me pretty grandchildren, Jiwonnie! Ah, those kids will be so pretty. I want a lot of them. Can you do that for me?"

Your eyes widened and you immediately tugged the phone away, pressing it to your ear. "We are not having kids."

Your mom pouted, clicking her tongue as she walked away, though she wore a content smile that promised her a good night's sleep.

"I know," Bobby replied, still laughing amusedly. "Well, if you don't want kids, stop seducing me all the time as though you do."

Your jaw dropped. He was so.... wrong about that. He was the one who never wore a shirt, always gave you those looks that always hinted at something, and let's all assume we know what happens at night when you should've been getting a good night's sleep (which is almost always Bobby's idea).

Your jaw dropped caught. "You're the one all the time-"

By then you looked around realized your mom had left to see some of the boys off, so you cupped your mouth to the phone and whispered quickly, "You're the one dragging me to bed but not letting me sleep!"

"Ah, so it's my fault?" Bobby replied jokingly, though his words rolled off his tongue in a way that perfectly proved your point -- being with him, talking to him was like constantly being seduced at all directions. He clicked his tongue casually. "Okay, I'll try my best to keep my good looks from planting bad ideas in your head. I'll keep my hands to myself from this point on."

You blinked. How did this conversation turn on you? You didn't say you hated the seduction, you just had to prove that it was his doing and he should take responsibility for it even if it meant just acknowledging th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter