Progress

Survival Instincts (Forward and Backward Pt. 2)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You and Bobby were struggling to work up to the friend stage (especially with the pressure of your friends looming over you), but in any case, it was nice. You missed talking to him, hell even just being around him, so this was something you were entirely grateful for.

"I don't know why they left us alone like this," Bobby snorted as he let his legs hang down beside yours against the skate bowl. He leaned against his palms and sighed, strands of his hair blowing against the wind. Your friends were all on the other end of the park, doing God knows what. It was obvious this was intentional, and all you could do was sigh. 

You kept your eyes forward, not trusting yourself to taint the innocence of the moment by looking at him. You loved seeing Bobby skate, loved seeing him calm and at ease. You shrugged to his reply, pulling your sunglasses down over your eyes. "We have weird friends. I'm too lazy to understand them."

"Well, we understand each other and that's all that matters," Bobby replied as he stared out at the horizon. This was something the two of you loved doing when you dated, and you were unsure if it still held the same significance it used to. He winced and pushed the heel of his palm into his temple. "God, I still feel horrible. I drank enough last night to last a lifetime."

You frowned and lightly pushed his shoulder. "As a friend, I hate hearing that."

"As a friend, I hope you'll treat me better, so you won't have to," Bobby jokingly replied back, more and more of his usual expressions slowly returning to his face.

You cocked an eyebrow and nodded. "That's fair. Everything's settled right? Nothing to argue about anymore."

"Guess not," Bobby replied with a light sigh that was b a chuckle. "Now that we can't flirt or argue anymore, we'll be boring, just staring at the sky with meaningless small talk."

You glanced over at him. You liked the small talk, even if it was meaningless. Well, everything with Bobby had meaning to you, small or large, it didn't matter. "You have any better ideas, Jiwon?"

Bobby smirked as he got up to his feet and offered you his hand. "I don't know about you, but I'm hungry. Dinner?"

 

 

///

 

 

You chuckled airily as you looked around at the restaurant, the restaurant of many occasions -- many dates. To be fair, it was a small town and this was one of the only restaurants in it, but you couldn't help but laugh anyway at the irony. "Nice taste in restaurants."

"First time here?" Bobby replied playfully with a slight smirk as he set his menu down.

"I don't know," you jokingly replied back as you looked around at the restaurant. "Maybe."

Just as Bobby started to laugh, Chanwoo jogged up to your table, notepad between his lips as he tied his apron and patted down his messy hair. He looked flustered, but he immediately took a step back and looked even more frazzled once he noticed it was you and Bobby... together. His eyebrows furrowed as he tried to look in himself for an explanation, which he obviously wasn't going to find. "Whoa, hey... you... two."

"Hey, Chanwoo," Bobby replied, obviously getting a kick out of Chanwoo's reaction. "We're just... oh... you know..."

"Eating dinner," you finished once you saw Chanwoo's expression strain for the rest of the sentence Bobby was obviously taking his time giving. "We're friends now."

"Good to see mom and dad being civil for the kids," Donghyuk added shortly as he passed behind Chanwoo with his own serving tray in hand. "The divorce was hard on Chanwoo, you know."

You blinked, a slight furrow in your brows. Bobby rolled his eyes.

"He works here now," Chanwoo explained with a slight sigh as he looked over at Donghyuk setting down his tray a few tables over. "Anyway, can I take your orders?"

"Chanwoo, you served almost every one of our dates and we've ordered the same thing always," Bobby replied as he raised an eyebrow. "Is your memory that bad?"

"He does hang out with Yunhyeong a lot now," you replied with a sigh.

"Well, no," Chanwoo replied as he scratched his head with the back end of his pen. "It's just... I don't know. A moment ago, you hated each other and now you're on a date- friend date, I mean, so I just though maybe you'd want to try something new, since... you know, new beginnings and stuff."

Your expression remained blank, but you answered quickly. "No thanks, Chanwoo. The usual will do."

Chanwoo nodded quickly before scurrying off just as quickly. You looked back at Bobby and found him sighing tiredly. You shrugged, remaining unfazed and actually slightly amused. "This was your idea."

"And it's a great idea," Bobby said, sitting up straighter. He looked like he was trying so hard, you had to smile a bit because of it. "So, maybe we should catch up. We haven't talked in..."

"Months," you replied with a sigh as you propped your chin up on your palm. You could imagine Yunhyeong scolding you for your terrible 'friend' face you had on right now, but whatever. Yunhyeong wasn't here. "Life's okay, you know... not good, but I'm alive."

"You've always had a way with words," Bobby replied plainly, his expression amused. "I'm sure you know how I'm doing. I'm not as good at hiding when I'm not okay as you are."

"Trust me, it's harder than it looks," you replied. "Well at least with... you it is."

Bobby pressed his lips in a thin line and looked down at his drink. He shrugged, laughing slightly. "I guess friends tell each other these kinds of things, huh."

"Yup. Don't worry, I'll let you know when I find another boy to gush about," you casually said before taking a sip of your drink.

Bobby blanked. "Very funny."

"Friends are honest," you countered as you gave him an innocent look.

"You're really going to tire me down with this friends thing," Bobby replied tiredly as he gave you a helpless look.

You smiled. "Your idea."

Bobby sighed, his smile dissipating into one that was hard to pin down. "Great idea."

 


///

 

 

After dinner, you were reluctant to leave, but, after all, did friends get this attached? It was a reminder you needed to keep your feelings in check, which you had to be grateful for even if you weren't.

"What are you doing after this?" you asked Bobby as you got into his car. It was funny how places like this could trigger so many memories when in reality it was just a car. 

"Why? Already missing me?" Bobby laughed as he his car, throwing his arm over your seat to reverse out of the parking stall. You stiffened.

"Well, as your friend, I'm worried you're going to do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter