Square 1

Survival Instincts (Forward and Backward Pt. 2)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Most people woke up every morning by alarm, but nope, not Hanbin, not when he his phone rang at the crack of dawn every morning for him to clean up one of Bobby's current messes.

At this point, you could say it was clockwork, not to say that it made him any less tired each morning.

He pressed his face into Minhee's neck and groaned as his phone rang from his bedside. "Please not be the police. Please not be the police."

In all honesty, he just really hated driving to the the other side of town. Picking up a decaying Bobby from the bar down the street was much more convenient.

He rolled over and blindly palmed the table for his phone. He pressed his phone to his face, eyes not adjusted enough to the light to check the name on the screen. He threw an arm over his eyes and sighed. "Yeah?"

"Hey, it's me."

He sat up and he immediately motioned for Minhee to switch on the lamp. He figured it'd be Bobby like it always was, but no, this was his little sister. You never called him, let alone this late at night. "Ahri? What's wrong? You sound different."

Well... not really. Your voice always sounded the same -- empty and disinterested. The Bobby Era of actual emotion was officially over months ago and now you were colder than ever. This was more so his big brother instincts kicking in.

"I'm fine. I just need you to pick me up. I'm at the police station."

He had already been up, grabbing his jacket and wallet before he could respond. "On my way."


///


You sat in the back of Hanbin's car, staring straight forward, eyes hardly caring enough to focus on at least something, anything. "I don't want to talk about it."

"You got arrested, Ahri," Hanbin said as he whipped around in his seat. Minhee grabbed the wheel for him as he continued, not paying any attention at all to the road. "Either you tell me what happened or I tell mom and dad."

You rolled your eyes and looked out of the window. You weren't the only one getting into trouble lately, but everyone seemed to be making the most fuss about you. Your hair was a little messy, your makeup was smudged, and part of your dress was ripped, so maybe it did make sense that Hanbin was concerned. It was weird in their eyes how you could act so passive about it, as though no one was expected to notice it, but you couldn't lend any emotion for their worries. You mumbled under you breath. "I just got into a fight."

"A fight," Hanbin repeated exasperatedly, before Minhee forced his hands back to the wheel so she could look at you. He shook his head and mumbled under his breath as he looked on to the road. "A fight. A goddamn fight."

Minhee's eyes widened as she turned around and looked at you. "Again?! That's the third time-"

You looked at her and replied calmly. "Yeah, and I didn't start any of them."

"So we're supposed to believe these fights just happen out of nowhere?!" Hanbin countered, his voice filling the entire car.  Any amount of exhaustion he had before that was now completely gone. "We're not stupid, Ahri!"

"Stop yelling," you mumbled quietly as you looked away to the window. You were still very drunk and with his driving, you felt a little nauseated. "I have my reasons. It wasn't my fault."

Hanbin shook his head and gave a resigned sigh. "Well, then, what happened?"

Well, it was as it always happened. A girl mouthed off to you from the moment she saw you enter the club -- everyone knew who you were and of course they knew who Bobby was. Of course all of the girls loved him. It was a small town. Just like the many others, she was too drunk and obnoxious not to go up to you and comment on your recent breakup. This was pretty much a usual thing whenever you went to clubs -- Bobby had a lot of fans in a lot of low places.

Places you just happened to be.

You ignored most of what she said, but when she said something about how "it was about time he gave up on you," you punched her right in the nose, mostly out of reflex. It didn't even take any thought, but maybe the alcohol had something to do with it. Even she didn't expect that to happen. You didn't expect it to be that hard, but she immediately crouched over with a bloody nose and it looked like you got your point across because she stayed silent and wide-eyed. Her friends flanking her sides wouldn't let things end there, though. One held you, the other punched you and slapped you. They played victim when the club manager came around, and of course you didn't care enough to defend yourself when he did. You just didn't care about anything these days.

You looked back at Hanbin and shrugged. "I don't know. Some random girls started it. I don't know why."

Hanbin shook his head and continued on down the street. It was clear he wasn't going to get anything out of you, and he was too used to having that from Bobby to get too worked up over it -- not when he was so tired, at least. He sighed. "Well, I'm taking you back to my place. I don't care what you say, I'm not leaving you alone."

For the first time, you showed emotion on your face. You bolted up and your eyes widened. You hated going to his place, mostly because Bobby was his roommate. "Hanbin, no!"

"Ahri, you're drunk and you're hurt! It's dangerous leaving you alone at your dorm!" Hanbin countered and Minhee nodded, avoiding the wrath of your glare.

"Drop me off at Minhee's place then," you countered. "I'm not going to sleep in the same place as him!"

"Well you used to an awful lot last year, so you should be used to it," Hanbin said, smiling sarcastically as he pulled into the parking lot of his apartment complex. "Just please keep in mind that there are people who have been working all day and need at least a few minutes of sleep before you think about strangling each other."

You sighed. You sometimes seemed to forget Hanbin actually did adult things during the day and that he went to sleep at a decent time now. Well, some could say this was him finally paying you back for all of the times you covered for him during high school. You looked out of the window. "Sorry."

"If you were really sorry, you'd stay out of trouble," Hanbin said as he turned off the ignition. "I'm the only problem child in our family."

"Oh, please," Minhee snorted as she jokingly nudged his forehead. "You gave up that act a long time ago, babe."


///


You spent a lot of time in the shower, letting the hot water run over your bruised skin, but you felt no pain at all. At this point, you wondered if you were desensitized to everything, even physical pain.

When you got out, wearing some clothes Minhee lent you, the first person you saw was Jinhwan slung across the couch, his backpack and shoes still on as he checked his phone. He glanced up at you and laughed slightly, mostly out of shock as he looked at your face. "Tough night for you, too?"

You shrugged as you sat down on the chair next to him. "I guess."

"Well, if you're staying over, you can take my room," Jinhwan replied, not looking like he was very curious to pry for anything you didn't feel like giving up on your own. He lifted up his hoodie over his head and yawned, crossing his arms over his chest. "Bobby's not home yet and if you want to prevent the ugly, safest bet is my room."

You raised an eyebrow, already set on sleeping out on the couch (it's not like Hanbin could give up his bed since he and Minhee shared it). Jinhwan was always the most mature, and now that he was out of high school, this seemed the most obvious. 

You got up and grabbed your bag. "Are you sure?"

"Of course," Jinhwan replied, eyes still closed as he readjusted his head against a throw pillow. "It's better for everyone that you avoid each other tonight. I'm too tired to get up, anyway."

You nodded, though it was mostly to yourself. Whenever you argued with Bobby, it was your friends who ended up getting pulverized by the blow back. At this point, everyone had given up on trying to get you two to make up and instead tried to minimize the explosions as much as possible. You had to admit you were too exhausted to think about what would happen if you saw him.

"Thanks, Jinhwan," you replied quietly as you threw a blanket over him. He hadn't even taken off his backpack or shoes, but his odd hours at the bar always exhausted him so much to where he always knocked out first chance he got.

You quietly walked down the hall to Jinhwan's room, but for some reason you forgot which one it was. Well, to be fair, you hardly came to the apartment, and when you did it wasn't like you hung out in Jinhwan's room or anything.

You peeked into one room and tentatively flipped on the light. Oh, great. Bobby's room. You'd never been in it since you broke up before he moved into this apartment, but it didn't take a genius to figure it out. The mess was his, the skateboards were his, the collared shirt on the post of his bed was his, and everything else, even the subtle things like the type of crumple in the sheets and the places he tossed his clothes, had his name on it. You hated yourself for remembering these things so well but you did.

It shook you a little to see it.

"Miss him?" a voice said over your shoulder and you turned to see Hanbin leaning against the wall, his expression tired but thoughtful.

You flicked off the switch and shrugged. "I was just trying to figure out if this was Jinhwan's room. He said I could sleep there tonight."

"It's the last door," Hanbin answered as he gestured down the hall. He finally stood back up and be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter