Denial

My Best friend, My Love

 

It was more than a week since the two pairs went out on a date. Geun Suk and Shin Hye still went to school together but without the usual banter they share during the ride. There was always a strained silence whenever they are together. They do not spend their time together as they did before. Shin Hye was always making excuses not to talk to him whenever he came to visit her at home. While he, on the other hand, avoided Uee like a plague. He constantly saw Shin Hye with Yong Hwa, which angered him more.

“Geun Suk! What’s up man?” Hong Ki said from behind him, sitting down next to him.

They were at the basketball court of the school campus. This was Geun Suk’s hiding spot once he started avoiding Uee. He hated staying inside the school building. All the students were prattling about the upcoming masked acquaintance ball. He got annoyed hearing the girls talk about the gowns they will wear to the ball. Even the boys are caught up in the excitement of the coming event. He wanted to get away from all the chaos surrounding him.

“Nothing.” he answered.

“So… tell me.”

“Tell you what?”

“Tell me what happened with your date. How was it?”

“I don’t want to talk about it. Thinking about that night is giving me a splitting headache.” Geun Suk swore.

“Oh, come on! Don’t be a stinker. I need details, man. I’m dying with curiosity.” Hong Ki wheedled.

“Sorry! I’m not talking about it.”

“If you won’t tell me about it, I’ll tell Uee that you’re here waiting for her.” he threatened. “I know that you’re hiding from her. So, are you going to tell me or do you want me to call Uee?”

“Okay, fine. I’ll give you details just stop bugging me after this, alright?”

“Okay, okay! I’m all ears. What happened?”

“Well, we went to a restaurant and ate our dinner. Nothing exciting happened except that Yong Hwa suddenly became a leech, always touching and flirting with Shin Hye as if we were not around. Then we went to the amusement park and that stupid Uee threw up on me while we were riding the bumper car. So I went to look for a shirt since Yong Hwa refused to lend me his jacket. The idiot at one of the stalls cheated me and gave me a ridiculous orange shirt. And by that time, I was no longer at the mood to continue with our date. Shin Hye wasn’t even concerned when she saw me filled with puke. Instead, she laughed at me. I didn’t even know that she knew how to flirt. But she was clinging to every word he said, giving him a puppy-eyed look. It was sickening to watch. Then after we rode the Tunnel of Love, that girl Uee had the nerve to kiss me. And I didn’t even a feel a tiny spark of electricity at the kiss. I even kissed her again just to make sure and there was no spark at all. Not even a little smoke!” he said, his words coming out in a rush trying to finish the story immediately.

“I knew it!” Hong Ki exclaimed.

“You know what?” Geun Suk asked.

“I always knew you were not in love with Uee. You just thought you were because half of the male population in this campus is infatuated with her.”

“Well, I already know that I’m not in love with her since that night. It’s not even worth talking about.”

“And do you know what else I think?” Hong Ki asked, with an evil glint in his eyes.

“What?” looking at him suspiciously.

“I think that you were only convincing yourself that you were in love with her to hide from the truth…”

“What truth?”

“That you are actually in love with Shin Hye.”

“Come on! That’s pure baloney.” he denied.

“It’s not baloney. Did you even listen to yourself recounting the events of that night? There’s pure jealousy in your voice. You’re mad at Yong Hwa for flirting with Shin Hye and it’s bothering you to think of them together.”

“No, I’m not jealous, okay?” he denied again. “She’s like my sister and I’m just trying to protect her.”

But his words lacked conviction and it sounded false to his ears.

“I’m leaving. I’m already late for my class.” He stood up and left. He didn’t want to continue his conversation with Hong Ki for fear that more suppressed emotions will flow out from him. He didn’t want to face the possibility that what Hong Ki said is right. He didn’t want to admit that he’s in love with Shin Hye for fear that he made a very huge mistake in driving her towards Yong Hwa. He’s afraid that it’s too late for him to admit his love for her.

**************************************************************************                                                                                                                               

Later that day, Uee finally cornered Geun Suk outside his class. It was too late to avoid her for she was already standing in front of him.

“Hey, Geun Suk! You’ll be my date on the acquaintance ball next week. Pick me up at 7 pm at my house. I’m sure you know where it is. Don’t be late.”

Before he could protest, Uee was already walking away with her friends.

“Haist! What nerve! Ordering me around as if I’m her servant. It’s the man who should ask and not the other way. She’s one big trouble!” he hissed, walking towards the opposite direction.