Favor For A Favor

My Best friend, My Love

 

-          At Uee’s House    -

“Come one Uee! Just say yes! It’s just one date.” Yong Hwa cajoled Uee.

“No!” Uee said vehemently.

“What do you have against Geun Suk?” he asked.

“I would date him if I’m just a typical girl. But I’m not. I’m Uee, the richest, iest and most beautiful girl on the campus. I only date guys within my social level. You know that. I know that. Everybody knows that!” she said, turning her back on him with an exaggerated sway of her hips and walked away.

“Geun Suk is not that bad if you just give him a moment of your time.” he defended Geun Suk, following her to the kitchen.

“He’s just like all the guys at school. They are all trying to please me. There’s no sincerity at all.”

“How can you say that? You don’t even know him. You didn’t even exchange a dozen words with him, Uee.”

“Why are you so eager for me to date him? What’s in it for you?” she asked, bewildered.

Yong Hwa blushed, scratching his head.

“Well…” he mumbled, unable to meet her eyes.

“Well what?” she demanded.

“You know Park Shin Hye, right?”

“No. Why would I know her? Who is she anyway?”

“Oh, come on! You can’t really be that big of a snob, can you?” he exclaimed angrily.

“Helloooo!? That school is populated by thousands and thousands of students! Do you really expect me to know all of them?” she exaggerated, raising her arms.

“Not all of them. But you have at least three classes with her. And if you’re wondering how I know it, it’s because the three of us share the same three classes! Helloooo!?” he imitated her, his hands on his hips.

“Alright! Alright! You didn’t have to be sarcastic about it. So what does that girl have to do with me dating Geun Suk?” she asked, irritated.

Yong Hwa blushed again, looking away from Uee.

“Hey! You’re blushing!” Uee gasped, eyes widening and covering . “Don’t tell me you like this Shin Hye girl? Oh no oh no! Is this for real? The great Yong Hwa is finally in love with a girl? Ooohhh! I can’t wait until all the girls in school find out about this. I bet they will all break down and cry! Poor Shin Hye, I bet she’ll make lots of enemies! Ha ha ha ha!” she laughed hysterically.

After a few minutes of laughing, she suddenly stopped and looked back at Yong Hwa who was staring at her in irritation.

“Hey! You did not tell me yet what she has to do with me dating Geun Suk. Explain!” she demanded.

“Are you done laughing?” he demanded back. Uee nodded. “Well… Geun Suk is the best friend of Shin Hye. When he asked me for help, I thought that it would be my chance to get close to her. It’s like a ‘favor for a favor’. Got it?”

“Are you sure she’s not his girlfriend?”

“Yes, I’m sure. I asked Geun Suk if they have that kind of relationship but he said that they are just friends. And besides, he won’t ask you out on a date if they are already dating, right?”

“Oh! I didn’t think about that! Stupid me!” she said, slapping her forehead.

“So… you’ll go on a date with him?” Yong Hwa asked eagerly.

“I don’t know…” she hesitated.

“I’m not asking youto marry him. It’s just one date. If you really don’t like him, that’s fine. Ditch him. Just give it one shot. For me, please? Just go on a date with him once so he’ll help me with Shin Hye. Pretty, please? If you do, I’ll buy you that Hermes bag you coveted so much, I promise! Please please please!” he pleaded, shaking her arm.

“Alright! Alright! Stop shaking my arm! I’ll go on a date with him. But I have a condition. We’re going on a double date, okay?”

“Yes yes yes!” he shouted with glee, jumping around the kitchen while throwing punches in the air. “Thank you so much!”

“I bet you, that he’ll be just like every guy I’ve dated. They’ll spout compliments and nonsense at me. Pleasing me and kissing my feet. So boring!” she pouted.

“You never know. You might even be surprised.” he said. An idea forming in his mind on how to make Geun Suk win the affection of Uee.

*****************************************************************************                                                                                                                               

-          On the other side of town, at Shin Hye’s house   -

                Geun Suk is pacing back and forth in front of Shin Hye, wondering how to convince Shin Hye to go on a date with Yong Hwa. They were at Shin Hye’s living room. She’s sitting on the couch trying to watch the news on the television. She was distracted by Geun Suk’s pacing and got irritated with him.

                “Geun Suk! Will you please stop pacing in front of me? I’m getting dizzy here.” she complained. “What’s wrong with you? You seem to be miles away. You’re always spacing out when I try to talk to you. It’s starting to get on my nerves.”

                “Sorry.” he apologized, sitting on the couch next to her. “Shin Hye, are you in love with anyone?” he suddenly asked.

                “Huh?” she gasped, paling. ‘Oh no! Did he find out about my feelings for him?’ she thought anxiously.

                “I was wondering if you’re already in love with a guy and you just didn’t tell me about it.”

                “Why are you suddenly asking about my love life?” She sighed in relief. ‘For a moment there, I thought you already knew my secret.

                “Well… I have a favor to ask you.”

                “What is it? And what does this favor have to do with my love life?” she asked suspiciously.

                “Uhhmm… I asked Jung Yong Hwa for a favor. You know him, right?”

                “Of course I know him. Everybody does. All the girls at school swoon at his feet. He’s the ultimate prince charming. He’s so popular even blind, deaf and mute people know him. Why do you ask? And what favor did you ask of him?”

                “I asked him to help me set up a date with Uee since they are very close with each other.”

                Hearing this, Shin Hye felt the same tightening of the chest and clogging of the throat that she feels every time Geun Suk talked about Uee. She’s so used to this feeling that she sometimes felt numb to the hurt and pain.

                “Oh.” she said, blank-faced. “What does that have to do with me?”

                “Well… when I asked him for help, he asked if we’re dating and I told him that we’re not. He told me that he really likes you and that he wanted to date you. He asked me the same favor I asked from him.”

                “What did you tell him? Did you agree with him?”

                “Well… yeah.” when he saw the look of hurt in Shin Hye’s eyes he hurriedly explained. “But I was going to ask for your permission first. I didn’t say that you will definitely go on a date with him. I was just going to suggest it to you.”

                “Is that what you want? Do you really want me to date him?” she cried.

                ‘No, of course not!’ his mind screamed. ‘I don’t know why I’m bothered at the thought of you dating some guy. This is so confusing. I shouldn’t have these feelings at all.

                “Well… if you’re not dating anyone, why not give it a try?” he said instead.

                Shin Hye felt as if Geun Suk ripped out her heart and stomped on it. She wanted to scream at him that she loves him, that she’s not interested in other guys. But she remained silent. Her pride prevented her from making herself vulnerable to Geun Suk.

                “Alright, I’ll go on a date with Yong Hwa.” she sighed.

                At Shin Hye’s words Geun Suk did not feel triumph or glee that he thought he will feel. Instead, he felt hollow, as if he lost something precious. This feeling troubled him the rest of the night after he said goodbye to Shin Hye.

                Late that night Shin Hye had trouble sleeping. She kept going over her conversation with Geun Suk.

                “You really don’t care for me, do you Geun Suk?” she whispered. “Not the way that I care for you. I’ve been a fool in love while you only saw me as a friend.”

                Tears started to fall from her eyes. She crossed her arms around her chest as if to keep the pain from growing and exploding from her chest.

                “Shin Hye, you need to wake up from this foolish dream.” she berated herself. “You have to forget your feelings for him. You’re only hurting yourself. He’s in love with somebody else. You deserve to be loved as a woman and not just as a friend. Be thankful that he’s your friend, that you spend your days with him. Don’t ask for more. Find yourself someone who will love you. You deserve to be happy and in love. Don’t close your doors to the possibility of falling in love again. You owe it to yourself.”

                With that self-conversation, she resolved to forget her love for Geun Suk, to give herself a chance at finding happiness with someone, maybe with Yong Hwa.

                “Tomorrow is a new day, a new beginning. It’s time to start over and leave the past behind.” she breathed.

                For the first time in a long while she felt at peace with herself.