Humiliation and Helping Hand

My Best friend, My Love

 

                A week has passed since Geun Suk and Shin Hye had their talk at the garden. Today Geun Suk mastered enough courage to approach Uee and ask her out. He’s been spinning different scenarios on how to ask her out but nothing seems good enough.

                It’s lunch break and he was on his way to the school cafeteria. As he a corner, he saw Uee on the hallway talking to someone on the phone. He stopped and stared at her. When he heard her say goodbye to her caller, he hesitantly walked towards her.

                “Hi Uee.” he greeted.

                “Yes?” she said, raising her eyebrow.

                “Uhh.... you… you look beautiful today.” he stuttered.

                “Thanks! You didn’t have to say that. I knew it already.” she smirked at him.

                “Ohh…. well… uhh…”

                “Was there anything else you wanted to say?” she asked impatiently.

                Uee raised her eyebrow and started tapping her toes impatiently. “Yes?”

                “Would you go on a date with me?” he rushed.

                “What?” she laughed rudely at him. “Do you even know what you’re asking and who you’re asking on a date?” she continued. “Yeah, you’re handsome but you’re just not rich enough for me!”

                With that parting shot she left him staring after her with a perplexed expression on his face.

******************************************************************************                                                                                                               

                “What’s with the gloomy face, man?” a voice asked a few distance in front of him.

                Geun Suk looked up to see Hong Ki, one of his close friends, staring at him with questioning eyes.

                “Nothing.” he mumbled.

                As he was about to walk towards the parking lot, he heard a familiar tinkling laugh a few yards away from him. He turned towards the sound and saw Uee laughing with her friends. He stared at her with a sad look on his eyes. He was unaware that Hong Ki was looking at him and Uee.

                “Oh man Oh Man! This is not good!” Hong Ki exclaimed.

                “What?” Geun Suk turned to look at Hong Ki.

                “You’ve got the hots for the ice queen!” Hong Ki said loudly.

                “So what? Every guy in this campus dream about dating her. She’s beautiful. So it’s a given.” he replied.

                “That’s just it! Every guy in this campus already asked her out but most of them were rejected. Only those who were rich enough got the chance to date her! And those guys did not last a week with her. Some of those guys were discarded after she got tired of them. The other half avoided her like a plague ‘coz she’s a witch!”

                “That’s not true! I’m sure those guys spread those rumors to save face.” he defended.

                “You really like her, don’t you?” Hong Ki asked.

                “Yeah, I do.” he confirmed.

                ‘Poor Shin Hye. Does she even know about Geun Suk’s infatuation with Uee?’ Hong Ki silently sighed.

                “Hey Geun Suk! Does Shin Hye know about your infatuation with Uee?” he asked.

                “Yeah, she knows. She knew it from the very beginning. I asked her last week if she think it’s a good idea to ask Uee out.” he replied.

                “What did she say?”

                “She gave me her blessing.”

                ‘Poor kid. She must be feeling very down these days.’ he thought. ‘I’ve got to help them realize that they are meant to be together. But first, Geun Suk needs to see that Uee is not an angel and that she’s not the right girl for him.

                Hong Ki was staring intently at Uee when he saw a guy approach her. It was Jung Yong Hwa. He is the cousin of Uee. It is well known at the campus that Yong Hwa and Uee are very close. Yong Hwa was adopted by Uee’s parents after his own parents were killed in a car accident. Yong Hwa’s dad and Uee’s dad were cousins and very close friends.

                He watched as Yong Hwa and Uee got into the car and drove away. Suddenly, an idea took shape in his mind.

                “Hey Geun Suk! I know how you can make Uee go on a date with you.” he said excitedly.

                “Yeah? So what will I do?” Geun Suk asked.

                “You know Jong Hwa, right?”

                “Yeah, he’s her cousin. Why?”

                “We know that he and Uee are very close. Why don’t you ask him for help in setting you up with Uee?” Hong Ki suggested.

                “What makes you think that he will help me with Uee?”

                “Well…. I heard that he needs a favor from you, too.” Hong Ki said with a devilish look on his eyes.

                ‘Haha… I think my scheme will work perfectly! You don’t know that Jong Hwa is very much in love with Shin Hye.’ Hong Ki quietly thought. ‘I wouldn’t have known this juicy tidbit if I didn’t overhear him and his friends talking about Shin Hye. That guy’s so crazy for her, he’ll be willing to help you with anything just to get close to her.

                “Hey Hong Ki! What’s with that crazy look on your eyes? What are you planning? Are you hiding something from me?”

                “What crazy look?” he asked innocently. “Me? You’re delusional. And besides I was not thinking of anything nor am I holding anything back from you. I’m just trying to be a friend and giving you a helping hand.”

                “Alright! If you say so. Gotta go. Bye!”

                ‘Good luck Geun Suk. I just hope that you realize your feelings for Shin Hye before it’s too late. It will be one hell of a ride for you once you see Shin Hye dating another guy.