Confrontation

My Best friend, My Love

 

Geun Suk’s eyes are closed enjoying the sun and the gentle breeze blowing on his face when he felt a presence sit beside him on the bench of the basketball court. He opened his eyes to see Yong Hwa staring straight ahead.

“I know you were following us last night at the mall.” He said without preamble. “You spied on us while we ate at the restaurant. I also know that you were the one who called Shin Hye after we ate dinner. I don’t know what you said to her to make her want to go home immediately, but I can only guess.”

“If you already know, why are you telling me this?” Geun Suk asked.

“I just want to know why. Why are you suddenly shadowing her every move? Why have you suddenly assigned yourself as her jailer? And above all, why have you been avoiding Uee?” he asked, looking straight at his eyes.

“You really want to know?” he asked, at Yong Hwa’s nod he continued. “Because I love her. I love Shin Hye. I’ve been avoiding Uee because I realize that I don’t really like her. Satisfied?”

“I knew it! I knew you were always in love with Shin Hye. You were just too stupid not to notice what was right in front of you. And now because of your stupidity, you are about to hurt one if not two of them.” Yong Hwa exclaimed.

 “Hey, Hey! There’s no need for insults, man! I won’t tolerate you calling me stupid.” Geun Suk snapped.

“You are stupid!” Yong Hwa repeated. “You were blind to what was right in front of you. And now it’s too late for you.”

“Hey, it’s not yet too late for me, okay? Shin Hye and I can still be together. She loves me and I love her.”

“Do you really think that I’ll step back just ‘coz you realize you love her? No way man. I’m going to fight for her too! I’ll make her fall in love with me. And by the way, be a man and face Uee. Tell her upfront that you’re no longer interested instead of making her chase you all around the campus. Remember, you were the one who first made a move to catch her attention and not the other way around.”

“I do plan on telling Uee I’m no longer interested. I’m just looking for a good timing where there will be less showdown and less tantrums… or rather, less audience to witness her throw a fit.”

“Well, if you want less audience, you can visit her at home and tell her you changed your mind. That way, no one will witness you breaking her heart.”

“Well, thanks. I think I’ll do that.” Geun Suk said, for once grateful at Yong Hwa for his suggestion.

“And while you’re at Uee’s, I’ll be with Shin Hye spending quality time with her ALONE. Ha ha ha!” he laughed provocatively. At his words, whatever feeling of gratefulness Geun Suk felt immediately vanished.

“Ya! Just give up man before you’ll get your heart broken. It’s me she loves, not you!” Geun Suk taunted.

“She might have loved you first but it doesn’t mean she can’t fall in love again, and this time with me. You might have forgotten this, but she already said goodbye to you ‘PUBLICLY!’” with that parting shot, Yong Hwa left Geun Suk staring after him, a scowl marring his face.

*****************************************************************

Later that day after class, Geun Suk took Yong Hwa’s advice and went to visit Uee at her house. The door was answered by the housekeeper who showed him to the living room.

Uee was ecstatic to see him, but her smile vanished instantly when he told her why he came to visit her. To say that she was not happy with him was putting it mildly. She threw a fit the likes he never saw before in his life. She cried and cursed at him. He ran out of the house before she could throw a Ming vase at him. He was not totally unscathed since she was able to land one hard blow to his face and scratched his neck with her long nails.

He left the premises with a spring on his steps. Now, he was able to solve his problem with Uee. Next, it’s time to lay siege to Shin Hye’s heart and claim her as his girl forever.