Deal

My Best friend, My Love

 

 

            The next day, Geun Suk approached Yong Hwa at the library.

            “Hey man!” Geun Suk greeted Yong Hwa. “Can I talk to you for a second?”

            “Sure. Why don’t we go outside so we can talk privately?” Yong Hwa suggested quietly.

            They stepped outside the library and went to a secluded spot near the parking area.

            “What’s up? Why did you want to talk to me?” Yong Hwa asked.

            “I’ll go straight to the point.” Geun Suk began.

            “Okay. That would be a great idea.” Yong agreed.

            “I need a favor. I want to date Uee. But she rejected me yesterday when I asked her out. I know you’re close to her. I hope you can convince her to go on a date with me.” he said with a slightly pleading note in his voice.

            “Huh?” Yong Hwa snorted. “You’re serious?”

            “Yes, I am.”

            “You really want to date Uee? Why?” he asked with a perplexed look on his face.

            “’Coz she’s beautiful.”

            “That’s all?”

            “Yeah, isn’t that enough?”

            “Why would you want to date her? She’s crazy and a witch most of the time.” Yong Hwa asked.

            “Hey! I thought you’re close to her? Why are you maligning her name?”

            “Yeah, we’re close. But it doesn’t change the fact that she acts like a spoiled brat most of the time. I’m not blind to her faults. And besides, I thought you already have a girlfriend?” Yong said.

            “Girlfriend? I don’t have a girlfriend.” he replied looking confused.

            “What about Shin Hye? Isn’t she your girlfriend?”

            “Shin Hye? No, she’s not my girlfriend. She’s my best friend.” he clarified.

            “Oh! I guess I was wrong.” Yong Hwa smiled.

            “So… will you help me with Uee?”

            “Yeah, sure! But I need you to do something for me in return.”

            “No problem. What is it?”

            “Well… since you’re asking me to help you with Uee, I want you to do the same for me.”

            “Huh? What do you mean?” Geun Suk asked.

            “Shin Hye. I like her. I want you to help me set up a date with her.”

            “What!?” he exclaimed.

            “Why do you look surprised? Shin Hye’s a very lovely young woman. I’ve always liked her but I didn’t ask her out ‘coz I thought she’s your girlfriend. Now that I know I won’t be encroaching in your territory, it’s time for me to make a move to win her heart.”

            As Geun Suk listened to Yong Hwa, he felt an instant spark of animosity toward the other guy. He didn’t understand the irritation and unease he feels at the thought of Shin Hye dating Yong Hwa or any other guy.

            ‘What is this I’m feeling? Why do I feel as if there’s a hallow hole on my chest? Why am I bothered at the thought of Shin Hye dating a man?’ he thought anxiously. ‘Haist Geun Suk! You’re just not used to the idea of Shin Hye dating, that’s all.’ he convinced his mind. But somewhere in the deepest part of his heart he knew he was lying.

            “So, what do you say? Is it a deal?” Yong Hwa asked.

            “Uhhmm….. Sure!” he answered absentmindedly.

            Yong Hwa left him staring in space, standing at the middle of a vacant lot, lost ion his thoughts.