Crying Shoulder

The 11th Letter

"Does your mother knows?" Nam Woohyun uttered from the other line. His voice calm and smooth.

They both do not know how it actually happened but they began communicating with each other for the past two days. It may only be phone calls or text messages but Woohyun never felt elated. Being greeted by her warm messages every single day is enough for him.

"I'm not sure either. She's working overseas that time so I don't know if she has an idea. But maybe' her voiced slowly descended from loud to whisper. .

He didn't respond. Their breaths echoed through each others ears but no one decided to push the red button. The silence between them, on the contrary, felt a little more refreshing.

"It's Christmas eve,tonight" she mentioned as silence enveloped them. A tinge of sadness is drawn in her tone.

"Want me to come over?" he suddenly retorted. He heard her gawking from the other line, making him stifle a laughter. 

"O-Oh no! That's not what I meant! I-it's just that-"

"It's perfectly fine by me." Woohyun's grin widened a bit. He may sound cool about it but he can't actually control his feelings right now. With his pulse tripled, shaky hands combined with the ridiculous grin plastered on his face,he, himself doesn't know how he said such things with ease.

Well, it is true that coming over to her house is fine. Besides, he's been spending Christmas eve alone for the past 10 years. A bit of change is never a bad idea.

"What about your parents?" she said slowly, trying to hide the  happiness embodying her at the moment. She may like the idea but leaving his parents for her is surely a bad picture.

"My father died when I was seven. My mom is a  store manager so she works herself out every Christmas eve. I don't hate her nonetheless. Blame the last minute shoppers!" he said in a playful tone. Seolhyun wants to laugh but the image of a lone Woohyun every Christmas eve pinched her heart. That moment, she fought over her urge to run towards his house and hug him tenderly.

"You sure she'll be okay with it?"

"Of course, atleast she knows I'm with someone.I'm sure she'll be happier this way."

Seolhyun responded with a hum, thinking hard about the situation. 

"Hmmm, I guess it's fine. By what time will you arrive?" 

Woohyun's eyes popped out a little by what she said. His phone landed on his mouth and before he could even think, he rolled over and over on his bed while a happy grin captured his face. 

"Uhh, Woohyun ah?" he totally forgot that she was on the other line, making him a bit shocked upon hearing her voice.

"Uhh, Y-yeah! Yeah! By 9 PM, maybe? Is that good?"

"That's perfect. I'll get going now Woohyun ah, might as well help Mom preparing the table for later."

He answered with a smile and a long beep can be heard. 

He plopped his long legs, squatted beside his bed and pulled out a box underneath it. 

Woohyun's happiness easily disappeared upon holding the red box.

Tremors filled his body and the box stumbled a million times on his hands. He sat over his bed and uncovered the lid.
His head pushed up and he silently uttered his prayers.

----------

That is the night when Jang Seolhyun walked out from his life.