Phone Call

The 11th Letter

That morning, Woohyun's mother was awakened by a loud thud coming from her son's room. Out of maternal instinct, she quickly slipped from her bed- her hair flying in all direction, pulse beating wildly in her chest, a mix of fear and worry enveloping every line of her face. She quickly latched  his unlocked door only revealing her son faced to faced against his carpeted floor.

Relief washed over her. There's nothing to worry about, she thought. She's fully aware that her son has a weird affinity with floors and falling flat face against it. 
She clicked her tongue and a sweet smile shone on her face. Her Woohyun,he never changed.

Woohyun bobbed his head up, taken aback to see his mother gazing over him with her head slowly shaking. 

"Eomma," he said in an alert tone.

"Woohyun  ah~" she chirped

"You're all grown up now but you're still lame" she finished with a chuckle.

Woohyun didn't replied instead he inched closer to his mother and wrapped his arms around her.

This is what he needs in the moment. Most specially when his mind is clouded with anguish.

"Aigoo, our Woohyun is acting like a kid. Didn't I just said that you're all grown up now? Start acting like a man." They both erupted into a laugh.

"I know but I  missed you alot mom," he replied.

Mrs. Nam suddenly remembered those mornings when the three of them- Woohyun, his mom and dad  used to spend morning like this, cuddling and talking happily to each other. She hugged her son back, tears prickling in her eyes. She misses her husband alot but she knows that he is out there,  somewhere between the afterlife, looking over and loving them with all of his heart. Her breath shortened and because she doesn't want her son to see him hurting, she capture Woohyun's face with her hands, caressing it with maternal gentleness.

"Woohyun ah, I'll be cooking breakfast now okay? Go clean your room before heading to the kitchen." Woohyun nodded and soon she exited the door, tears and nostalgia came running on her cheeks. She wiped them one by one. She needs to be strong,for her and Woohyun.

Woohyun sat back on his bed.

Thoughts came haunting him again. 

He can't help but to feel guilty.  Somehow, he felt as if he's luring Seolhyun,  feigning innocence on something that she needs to know.

But he can't. Woohyun can never digest the picture of Seolhyun being depressed or lonely.

He breathed in deeply, slowly collecting patches of memories so he can guess if Hoya or  Narra knows something about Seolhyun's condition.

Flashbacks consumed him.

Hoya and Narra talking secretly in the isolated garden.

Woohyun and Seolhyun's first meeting.

The letters.

Seolhyun talking animatedly about the physical therapy on the lunch table in the same day he found out that Narra is her sister.

Hoya's stare.

Narra's silence.

Assumptions exploded in his head and it turned him nauseous. He laid back on his bed again. 

His phone suddenly rang.

Seolhyun calling...

Woohyun's eyes budged from its sockets and he turned  panicky.  Before he knew it, a loud thud filled their eerie home again.

Mrs. Nam heard it too but she just shrugged it off, smiling.

Meanwhile, Woohyun fell flat faced from his bed again, phone clutched in hands and wide happy grin plastered on his face. He quickly answered the phone and Seolhyun's voice bounced back from the other line.

"Yo-Yobeoseyo?"

"Oh, Seolhyun ah. how may I help you?" Woohyun uttered, keeping it hard to keep his cool.

"Ahh, Woohyun ssi. N-Narra asked me if  I can ask you to accompany us to the mall later. you see, Hoya oppa is  busy and we will go Christmas shopping

and-"

"Okay"

"REALLY?" the last came out as a shriek. Seolhyun suddenly cleared while Narra's laughter can be heard on the background.

"Ah, sorry about that. Narra's messing with me"

"I'm not oppa" Narra suddenly barged

"Shut up Narra! So Woohyun ssi, uhmm see you later?"

"Yeah, see you later."

The line went dead leaving Woohyun who was still frozen on the floor.

He blinked a million times.

He must be dreaming.