Christmas List

The 11th Letter

The line went dead. Her breathing started to even but Seolhyun is still shaking because of the faint conversation.

"Why do I have to make the call?" she asked her younger sister, irritated.

Narra on the other hand just shrugged her shoulders at her sister.

"I'll just pretend not to know that you like it Unnie," she replied playfully, making her sister's cheeks flame out of embarrassment.

"I didn't said I like it!" she shouted and whacked Narra's head with a pillow. The latter touched her head lightly.

"A-Ouch Unnie-- Stop it! Please Unnie" the beating stopped but was shortly replaced by tickling .

Narra fell from the sofa and is now tackled by her older sister. She fought over her and soon enough their laughter filled the Jang's residence.

Their happiness is so genuine that Narra almost cried.

This is what happiness looks like, she thought

and her sister,of all the people, deserves to see it.

------

Despite the winter season the mall was jam-packed. Different people from different walks of life treaded along its massive hallways. Elders, children, parents, even students- after all it's winter vacation already.

Woohyun's favorite time of the year.

He didn't exactly remember but his mother always tell him that he and his father loves playing with snow during winter. Both of them plays along the milky land for a whole day, not minding that they might catch a cold. She also added that one Christmas season when Korea has suffered from dry winter, Woohyun cried and his father was the only one able to calm him.

He doesn't recall but Woohyun knows from the pit of his heart that it is true.

He can still feel the familiar warmth his father has left him.

He changed his balance from one foot to another then quickly saw  the sisters approaching.

Man, good looks run on their genes. 

Narra was looking so chic and fresh with her lavender top and light blue skirt but Seolhyun, God she looks beautiful.

The younger one dashed over him, hugging one of his arms while Seolhyun took her time walking. Her knees constantly shake from much tremor of her heartbeat. He looked over Woohyun and was mesmerized by his presence.

They smiled at each other and wordlessly entered the mall.

"Unnie, what do you think should I give to mom?" Narra asked her.

"Hmm, baking mats? I saw hers and there is a small hole into it."

"Your mom bakes?" Woohyun spurted, curious as to how their mom looks like. He bet she's as beautiful as the two.

"Yes and unnie too! Unnie's skills are legendary, oppa I'll tell you" Narra cried cheerfully.

"Stop exaggerating," Seolhyun responded flatly. "I'm not that good."

"Not good eh?" Woohyun looked at her. "I wanna taste some of your pastries if I'll have the chance" he added while gazing encouragingly at the other.

Seollhyun's flustered cheeks burned even more and she scoffed to cover it up. Woohyun's grin spread wider, while Narra was looking at them while keeping her shriek toned down.

They spent the day rushing over several stores and they are now sitting together at the benches in the center of the mall- relaxing their tired legs. Woohyun was munching over a pancake while the other two were sipping onto their juices. Narra suddenly stood up, making Woohyun and Seolhyun's eyes dart over her.

"I'm gonna go buy something."

"What?" the two chorused.

"It's a secret unnie, oppa. Oppa, go take unnie home okay? If you want you can spend the remainig time with her, just don't exceed over 11 PM, okay?"  She didn't wait for their response and swiflty ran over to the other side of the mall.

"B-but N-Narra!"

"She can manage herself, besides I want to go buy her gift will you help me?" He gazed over and held her hand onto him.

She just nodded and took his hands.

Their hands warmed over the chilly December while their hearts beat the same rhythm.

Woohyun, Seolhyun aimed wordlessly through the crowd, trying to find the perfect gift for the younger. 

The silence was ringing through them

but the two of them knows that they do not need words.

--

It was almost 10 PM when they reached the Jang household. The house lights are on so they assumed that there is already someone- Narra, preferably, that is inside.

Seolhyun noticed that Woohyun was in a rush so she turned at him as soon as they reach the front door.

"Thank you Woohyun-sshi," she said.

Woohyun just shook his head ,"No problem."

"Uhmm, so let's hang out again next time?" 

"Yeah, next time," Woohyun beamed and her eyes glowed. How she loves that look on his face.

"Uhhmm, so bye for now Seolhyun ah?"

"Yeah, bye for now" she said awkwardly and she watch him walk slowly then change his pace in a run.

She laughed lighlty and held  the doorknob.

Her pulse raced and her chest swelled all of a sudden. There is something wrong, her instincts says.

She refused to open the door, shaking and standing like a robot for several minutes.

She breathed deeply and slowly latch the knob,

"Do you think unnie will get hurt if she'll know the truth?" 

Narra, it was Narra.

"I can't even imagine," Hoya responded, almost a whisper.

The two bickered and Seolhyun crushed bit by bit by every word they say.

"Hoya oppa, will unnie ever forgive us if she'll know that we hid the truth?"

 A sniff came along and she knows Narra is crying.

"Hoya oppa, I'm scared. I know, I know that one of these days, she'll know *sniff* she'll know that she'll never be able to dance again. Seolhyun unnie. Oppa, what should we do?"

Seolhyun's eyes widen and tears stream after.

She squeezed the door shut and that December night, Jang Seolhyun  cried silently over her broken leg and broken dreams.