The Coldest Winter

The 11th Letter

It has been days since Seolhyun locked herself up in her room. She spent her days staring onto the white ceiling -her mind blank and placid. She refused to eat, refused to sleep but her eyes were numb and dry. She stopped tearing up but she knew that her heart already torn  to pieces. 

She walked over her windowpane, folded her curtains to knot and saw Woohyun standing on their front door. His face is filled with loneliness and she has an inkling that the guy hasn't gotten  sleep as much as she does for the past few days.Woohyun is still clueless, Seolhyun reckoned but for some reasons her heart cramped by the mere sight of him. She climbed back to her bed and stared into space.

She couldn't face him, not Woohyun, not anyone.

Woohyun's knocks reverberated through the silent hall. He called if someone's home but there is no response. He knocked again and the door opened revealing what he guessed is Seolhyun's mother. He stared at her wide-eyed.

She looks so gorgeous. 

Age is painted on her face but her bright eyes make up for it. She got Narra's smile but her physique in general looks more of Seolhyun's

"Hi Good Morning," the ahjumma greeted.

"Annyeong Haseyo eommonim. I'm Seolhyun's friend Nam Woohyun imnida," he politely replied and the latter beamed at him. She opeend the door and  gestured at him to go inside. He did and made himself at home. He looked over his surroundings. The house is colored white accented by pastels fixtures. It looks like a doll house and Woohyun's eyes was feasting with Seolhyun's pictures.

The lady sat across him. "So what brings this young man in our house in this early morning?" Seolhyun's mother asked,.

Sadness washed over him. It has been days since Seolhyun stopped talking to him and he is starting to get paranoid. Did she get angry because he left too soon that night? Did he said something bad? All these thoughts came lurking inside his head and it prickled his heart.

He misses her so bad. 

"You want to talk with my Seolhyun?" 

"Uhh, yeah. Is she at home eommonim?"  the latter nodded.

"She's specially silent these past few days. I think she and Narra got into a fight, so it will be good if she has someone to talk to," the mother stood up and lead him into a staircase. She knocked over a pastel blue door and called her daughter.

Seolhyun opened the door and her shocked eyes welcomed the two. "O-oh Woohyun ssi," she said and it is her mother's cue to leave them alone.

Woohyun suddenly felt awkward. It is his first time to be in a girl's room except his mother's.

"You're not talking to me for days," he uttered while sitting up straight in her bed.

"Yeah, I'm just.. you know busy with stuff and all. I'm.." Seolhyun is at loss for words. She wanted to lie but she just couldn't, even the word "lie" felt sour in .

Woohyun understood, he latched onto her wrist and forced her downward. They are now sitting beside each other, both silent but with brain full of thoughts.

"What happened?" The phrase caught her attention and tears started popping on her eyes.The waterworks started and Woohyun tugged her lightly in his arms. She felt whole suddenly, like her legs were never broken and she can still dream. She cried her heart out and Woohyun can't help but to feel pained by the sight. He loves her so much that it is torture to see her like this.

He's not surprised by the realization.

Since day one, he knows that it is her that his heart yearns for.

"I used to dance before" she started. He answered "I know" in his thoughts.

"But something happened and it lead to a disastrous moment-I broke my right leg. Do you ever felt like when the world came crashing down to you? My dreams, my world- they left me so easily. I wanted to die that moment. But then I found light in someone and it inspired me to move on. I started doing Physical therapy in the hope that I will fully recover and dance again but N-Narra" she started sobbing again

"Narra and Hoya oppa hid the truth from me. the truth thta Ic an never dance again, that my leg will never go back the way that it used to" he hugged her with all his might.

"I don't think I can forgive them so easily. I want to, God knows how much I want to but I just can't. I felt betrayed, Woohyun ah."

Silence lingered and moments after, she passed out. He laid her softly in her mattress. He sat beside her and slowly, he began caressing her face. She let out a small snore and he laughed at his cuteness.

He turned around and was about to go out when she mummed,

"Woohyun ah, please don't leave me. You are the only thing I have right now."

He was shakened by what he heard. Nam Woohyun never felt this scared his whole life. He's so afraid because he knows that he is about to lose the first girl he have ever loved.