Goodnight

Do You See Me?

Jungkook's POV:

I was laying on the floor of our dance studio two weeks later, exhausted from practice. My phone lay on my chest, and I debated texting Jihye. Was that being too clingy? We had hung out nearly everyday since our second date, but I'm pretty sure she was sick of me. On the other hand, one text couldn't hurt, right?

"Hey, let's go through that one more time." Jimin nudged me with his foot. "Why are you staring at your phone like that?"

"She hasn't texted me since yesterday." I pouted, tugging on his shirt to make him sit. 

"Ah yes, the struggles are so real." He shook his head, settling down next to me.

"This is serious." I frowned at him. "Should I text her? Or should I wait?"

"Well, I think-"

"Yeah, I think I should text her too." I opened my phone and began typing. "Thanks, Jimin."

"It's hyung, you brat." He hit my head, but I ignored him. I was too busy thinking of things to say to her. Should I say something funny? Something cheesy? 

"Send her a mirror selfie." Tae chimed in from back, reading my mind. "Ask her what she's doing."

I nodded, scooting towards the giant mirror in the studio. "Wait, what's the time?"

"Half-past twelve." Jimin said, drying his hair with a towel. "Why?"

"I wonder if she's had anything to eat..." I mumbled to myself, trying to adjust my bangs to show a little bit of my forehead. Out of all the things that she had complimented me on, my forehead seemed to be her favorite. I snapped a quick picture and send it to her, with the caption "Have you eaten dinner yet?"

She responded almost instantly. Had she been obsessing over texting me too?

"nope. Also, your forehead is nice."

I smiled. I knew she would say something about it.

"Don't skip meals >:("

"I'm already in bed, it's too late."

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. She had a habit of going to sleep without eating dinner, which I hated.

"Get up and make some ramen then. You're being unhealthy."

"How the is ramen supposed to be healthy?"

"Shhhhhhhhhhhh don't question it, just eat."

She send me a picture of her sticking her tongue out at the camera. "No."

"dammit jiHYE EAT SOME DAMN FOOD."

"YOU'RE NOT MY MOTHER SHUT UP."

"I'LL MAKE JIN YELL AT YOU."

"K"

I huffed at my phone angrily. Tae and Jimin snickered from the background.

"What?" I snapped at them.

"It's so funny." Jimin cleared his throat. "You're like a completely different person when you're talking to her."

"Hmm." I muttered, not really paying attention to them. I was too busy typing up a long paragraph telling Jihye off for being irresponsible.

"Aha, see?" Tae piped up.

"See what?" I asked, not looking up from my phone.

"Normally, you wouldn't be this invested in texting someone." He explained. "You're the kind of person that takes hours to text back. Nearly impossible to have a conversation with you."

"I guess Jihye's really special." Jimin cooed.

"Shut up." I mumbled, trying to look up articles detailing the dangers of not eating online.

"Jihye and Jungkook, sitting on a tree," Tae hollered, and Jimin joined in. "K-i-s-s-"

"What's going on here?" Jin poked his head through the door, stopping the wonder twins from continuing on with their little song. 

"Nothing much." Jimin giggled. "Our Jungkook is texting his girlfriend."

"She's not my girlfriend!" I yelled at him. I heard Jin mumble 'not yet, she isn't' under his breath.

"Well, anyways." He coughed. "We need to sleep, you guys. We have a concert tomorrow."

Jimin and Tae got up unwillingly, grumbling as they headed out of the room. I checked my phone once again, to see if Jihye had responded to my long rant, which she hadn't. I sighed and picked up my stuff, following them.

"Is Jihye asleep?" Jin asked me, slinging an arm over my shoulder.

"Probably." I pouted. "She didn't even wish me good night."

"Call her up." He suggested. 

"Wait, now?" I looked at the time. it was nearly one.

"Yeah." He yawned, opening the door to our shared room. "Call her up and say good night."

"She'll kill me if I disturb her sleep." I looked at my phone, wondering if should take Jin's advice.

"It's the right thing to do, trust me." He patted my back, before climbing into his bed and nuzzling up against his pillow. "She'll think it's really cute."

"Really?" I looked at him, surprised. He hummed in reply, closing his eyes. 

"Don't stay up too late." He muttered, falling asleep.

 

 

I dialed her number on my phone excitedly, nearly bursting with happiness when she actually picked up.

"Hello?" She mumbled, half asleep. 

"Hey." I bit my lip, smiling at how adorable she sounded. "Did I wake you up?

"Mmm, not really." She yawned. "I was just dozing off. Sorry for not replying."

"Nah, it's good." I sat down on the floor again. 

"So, is there a reason for this call?" She laughed sleepily. "You gonna tell me off for not eating again?"

"I want to, but you probably won't listen to me." I sighed in defeat. "But, um, I just wanted to say goodnight."

"Oh." She sounded surprised. "Oh, ok. Goodnight, Jungkookie.

"Goodnight." I smiled to myself. I secretly loved it when she called me 'Jungkookie'. "But seriously though, how can you sleep without eating?"

"Ugh, it's just one meal." She grumbled. "Quit nagging me."

"Not until you eat something." I said firmly.

"I'm hanging up then." She threatened. "Goodnight."

"Wait, no." I said hurriedly. Damn, this girl knew just how to play me.

"Wow, that worked?" She chuckled. "Guess I'm not the only one who's thirsty."

"I'm not thirsty." I muttered, knowing full well that it was a lie. "I just like you."

"Really?" She questioned, sounding like a little child. "You really like me?"

"Is that so hard to believe?" I laughed.

"Well, I'm a pretty boring person." I could hear her turn in the covers. "The only thing interesting about me, is that I can recite the first and second Harry Potter movies from memory."

"I like boring." I smiled. "And that's really impressive."

"You can't like boring for too long." She mumbled, sounding a little sad. "I can't imagine why you would like me. I'm not Alice."

"Yeah, I know." I said quietly. "And that's not a bad thing."

"But she was so pretty and perfect and pretty." She whispered. "She could even swim."

"I don't care." I said, feeling slightly annoyed. "She was in the past. I haven't thought about her in months."

"Why did you guys break up?" She asked me, sounding slightly hesitant. "You were so happy with her. What happened?"

"It's a long story." I played with my bangs. 

"I have time."

"Fine." I relented, sighing heavily. "She said she loved me, but I didn't feel the same way."

"That's unexpected." She commented.

"Ha, I know." I laughed half-heartedly. "I liked her a lot, Jihye. I really did. But after graduation, my feelings just faded away. I guess she must've noticed that."

"Sounds horrible." She said quietly. "I'm sorry."

"It was." I leaned my head against the wall, thinking back to the day it had happened. I had just gotten home from a tour, and Alice had come to the airport to pick me up. She looked really pretty that day, dressed up in my sweatshirt and sweatpants, her hair falling down her shoulders in soft waves. Normally, I loved seeing her in my clothes. But that day, all I felt was guilt. 

We had walked home together, hand-in-hand. She was telling me about her day, but I was barely listening to her. She eventually stopped me, her hand squeezing mine, and she asked me if I loved her. There were snowflakes in her hair and eyelashes, and the way she looked at me when wrenched my heart. I let go of her hand in reply, and she had laughed sadly, before giving me one last kiss and walking off by herself. 

I hadn't seen her since that day.

 

"Jungkook?" Jihye's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, I'm here." I coughed, clearing my throat.

"I shouldn't have asked you that." She said softly. "I'm really sorry."

"It's fine." I whispered. "It was a while ago."

"But now I feel like a bad person." She whined, and I could tell she was pouting. 

"You are a bad person." I reassured her.

"Shut up, , I'm trying to be nice to you." She spat. I laughed obnoxiously, knowing that it would make her even more annoyed.

"You make it very hard for me to like you sometimes." She grumbled.

"Yay! You like me!" I squealed. Jin groaned and pulled the pillow over his head, muttering curses at me.

"Of course I do." She huffed. "I wouldn't have put up with you all this time if I didn't."

"Were you trying to get into my pants the entire time we were friends?" I asked her, surprised.

"Pretty much." She replied nonchalantly. "Actually, it was before that. Like, from your first day of school."

"Holy ." I gasped. "Am I really that hot?"

"Don't flatter yourself." She snapped. "You were such a jerk to me. I hated your guts so much, that I literally dreamt about strangling you."

"Wow, that's not weird and creepy at all." I said sarcastically. "Tell me more about how much you liked me."

"No." She muttered coldly. "It's embarrassing."

"Well, you're gonna have to tell me eventually." I informed her. "I want to know everything about you."

"Yeah?" I could tell she was smiling. "You'll have to wait for a long time then. I'm a very secretive person."

"Oh, don't worry." I smirked. "I'm not planning on leaving any time soon."

She didn't say anything, but I knew that last line made made her blush. I wished I was there with her, so I could use my stash of cheesy lines to make her flustered. Actually, who was I kidding, I would probably be the one to get flustered just by simply being next to her.

Damn, I was smitten.

 

 

Hoseok peeked through the door right then, flicking the light switch off to get my attention. 

"Hey, it's getting late." He shook a finger at me. "Stop flirting with your girl and go to sleep already."

"Hyung, shut up." I hissed at him. 

"What?" He walked over to me, leaning close to the speaker of the phone. "Don't you have a picture of her as your homescreen?" 

There was dead silence on her side. I muted the call and put my phone down, glaring at Hoseok. He gave me a sweet smile and I threw my pillow at him, mouthing I'm going to kill you. He ducked and ran away, laughing like a maniac.

I picked up the phone hesitantly, my mind racing with excuses. "U-Um, listen, Hoseok was just being an idiot, I'm not that creepy, I swear, I'm a man-"

"Aw, what happened to my confident little Kookie?" She cooed, cutting me off. "Don't worry. You're my homescreen too. Goodnight!"

 

I stared at my phone, my mouth hanging open as she ended the call. Jin snickered beside me. 

"I think I'm gonna die." I whispered to him, clutching my heart. "She's going to kill me. And she hasn't even kissed me yet. Oh god, I'm gonna die."

"Yep." He agreed easily. "You're gonna die."

I sighed heavily, pulling the covers over me and closing my eyes. At least she wouldn't be able to kill me in my dreams.