Awkward

Do You See Me?

Jihye's POV:

This wasn't supposed to happen. I wasn't supposed to see him.

And yet we were at my graduation party, side by side, pretending that nothing had happened. All the hard work I had put in, all the guilt and pain I went through cutting him off, was for nothing. Just like that, he was my friend again.

I wasn't going to let that happen.

"...What about you, Jihye?"

"Hm?" I blinked, snapping out of my thoughts.

Jimin looked at me, giving me an amused smile. "Were you not listening?"

"Ah, sorry." I smiled sheepishly. "What were you saying?"

"What do you think you'll be doing in ten years?" Jungkook answered for him, taking a sip of his juice-box. 

"I don't know." I mumbled. "Working somewhere, doing something...probably."

"Inspiring." Yoongi laughed. I ignored him.

Jungkook gave me a weird look. "What, you're not going to sass him back?"

"No, why should I?" I smiled at him. He frowned and looked down at his shoes.

"Anyways," Taehyung cleared his throat. "Have you decided what college you'll go to?"

"Nursing school." I swirled my drink in my cup. 

"Really?" Jimin asked. "I didn't know you were interested in nursing."

I heard Jungkook mutter "neither did I" under his breath.

"I'm not." I said bluntly, staring at him. "I'm doing it for my parents."

"That's not right." Yoongi spoke up. "If you don't like it, then you shouldn't pursue it."

"I can't do much about it." I looked at my mom, who was proudly telling her friends that her daughter was going into nursing. "Besides, I don't really have anything else to do."

"You like to draw." Jungkook said quietly. 

"Yeah, I've seen your drawings." Jin smiled. "They were hung up at my university. You're pretty good."

"Thank you." I tucked my hair behind my ear. "I don't know, though. Going into art is risky."

"Taking up music is even riskier." Namjoon sighed. "But look at us now."

"By all means, let me know when I can audition to be an artist in a company that offers me stable income as well as fame." I said sarcastically. 

He held his arms up in surrender. "I'm just sayin'."

"Don't worry, Jihye." Hoseok slung an arm around my neck. "You'll be fine."

"Thanks Hobie." I poked his cheek. 

"J-Hobie from BTS, at your service." He grinned, making all of us laugh. Jungkook just stared at me, a wistful look in his eyes. 

 

"Thanks for having us, Jihye." Jin hugged me. "I'll tell you more about that restaurant tomorrow."

"Oooh, yes." I clapped my hands in anticipation.

"Bye Jihyeeeeeee." Taehyung and Jimin drawled, leaning on each other for support. "See you laterrr."

"Get some sleep, you dorks." I giggled.

Hoseok and Namjoon bid me goodbye as well, with Namjoon trying to use one of his song lyrics to impress me.

"I think your brain wrinkles are y." He smirked.

"Well, I think you're weird." I folded my arms. "Take him away, Hobie-Hobie."

"Yes ma'am." Hoseok saluted me, before pulling him away by his unusually long arms.

"Take care, kid." Yoongi walked up to me, ruffling my hair. 

"You're not that old." I laughed.

"I'm wise." He scoffed, turning to look behind him. "Oh, also, you should talk to Jungkook. He's been awfully quiet these past few days."

I shuffled my feet. "I'm sure one of you guys-"

"No, Jihye." Yoongi looked at me seriously. "It has to be you. Trust me."

"Fine." I sighed. "Goodnight."

"'Night." He smiled, patting me on my back before waddling off.

 

Jungkook lingered on my porch, kicking at the dirt.

"Hey." I said, wrapping my arms around myself.

He hummed in reply. We stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to say.

"Your dress." He spoke up. "It's navy-blue."

"Yeah, it is." I smoothed down my collar.

"It's a nice color." He cleared his throat.

"I guess."

"You told me it was your favorite." He mumbled.

"Did I?" I yawned, feeling sleepy because of the cold breeze. "I'm more partial towards olive."

"Yeah, you said you liked both." He said abruptly. "Last year, when we had gone to that one coffee shop in summer. You said that you liked the colors of the walls, because they were navy-blue and olive."

"You seriously remember that?" I laughed. "I'm impressed."

"I don't forget things easily." He looked at the sky. 

Silence befell us again. I looked at him properly for the first time since he got here. His hair was dyed in a deep shade of red, and hints of eyeliner dotted the corner of his eyes. He had grown much taller than me, and I had to actually tilt my head backwards to speak to him. Even though I had watched all of their music videos, and seen all of their interviews, the change in his appearance still surprised me. 

"Jungkook." I said quietly. 

"Yeah."

"I just wanted to say that what happened-"

"Hush, Jihye." He smiled, albeit sadly. "Don't speak."

"But-"

"Shhhh." He shushed me. "Just stand next to me. For just this once, don't say anything."

I obeyed him, standing quietly beside him. A gust of cold air blew, making me shiver.

"Are you cold?" He asked me. I nodded.

"Take this." He shoved a navy-blue sweater into my hands. 

"You don't have to give me-"

"No talking." He said firmly. "Wear it, it'll keep you warm."

I squeezed it in my hands. "Is it yours?"

"Mhmm." He muttered. "It's yours now."

I didn't say anything. I looked up at the sky too, at the shining stars and bright moon. It reminded me of the night we fought, when I was hiding from him. That night had the same crescent moon, the same clear air, the same cold breeze. I had crouched behind a tree, apologizing to him as he had yelled at me from the sidewalk.

I was doing that right now. In my head, I kept saying sorry to him. I said sorry for pushing him away, without giving him a reason. I said sorry for not being there for him. I said sorry for liking him.

His phone started ringing, breaking serene peace of the night. Alice's name flashed across the screen.

"She must be missing you." I nudged him.

He stared at me blankly, before suddenly leaning in and resting his forehead against mine. I held my breath as his nose brushed against mine.

"Goodnight, Jihye." He whispered, pulling away. "Please don't change."

With that, he left. I stood outside for a little longer, fiddling with the sweater in my hands.

"My little Kookie." I said quietly, holding it up to my nose.

I smiled. It smelled like the perfume I had given him on his birthday.