Happy Lies

Do You See Me?

"Jihye, I am going to seriously punch you in the face." Hyerin's dangerously calm voice threatened me.

I buried my face in my arms, seeking refuge from her anger. "I didn't do anything."

"Like hell you didn't." She pulled out my books from underneath me, making my face hit the desk with a thud. I winced in pain and looked up at her, trying my best to look intimidating. She didn't buy it.

"Do you seriously think cutting him off is the best thing?" She yelled, and I clapped a hand over to shut her up. We were in class, and I didn't want to draw any attention to myself. 

"Shhh, people are looking at us." I hissed.

"Yeah, well, I don't give a ." She spat. "What the hell did he do to deserve such treatment?"

"He completely stopped talking to me, hanging out with me-"

"Oh yeah, that completely justifies you behaving like a tool." Sarcasm dripped from her words. "I mean, let's not consider the fact that he has a girlfriend now, right?"

"That kind of makes it worse, since I like him. A lot." I folded my arms.

She sighed, her expression softening. "Jihye, I think you're forgetting that he has no idea why you're so upset. You need to tell him."

"Tell him what?" I looked away. "Do I say 'Hey, I know you really like Alice and she makes you very happy, but I just happen to like you too, so seeing you guys together crushes my soul'? How does someone react to that?"

"Not like that." She held a hand to her forehead, furrowing her brows. "Tell him you're upset that you guys don't hang out anymore, and leave it at that."

"Why should I? I'm not the reason why we don't hang out. Plus, that isn't even the real reason I'm upset." I ran a hand through my hair. "I don't owe him anything."

She caught my hand and pulled it towards her. "Yes you do. You owe him a million things, so for everyone's sake, stop punishing him."

I looked at my feet, guilt piercing my heart. Hyerin was right. I was being a tool.

"I know you're upset, Jihye." She said softly. "I really do. But have you ever considered how he feels? You might deny that you're one of his closest friends, but you know that he hangs on to every word of yours."

"So what should I do?" I said in a voice barely above a whisper.

"Stop acting like a child, and go talk to him. I'm sure he would appreciate that." She squeezed my hand. "Just this once, apologize to him. Don't let him leave for Seoul with one less friend by his side."

 

Jungkook walked into class just then. Alice was by his side as usual, talking away happily. Dark circles formed under his eyes, and his bright skin had become pale and tired. 

He kissed Alice on the cheek and sat down on his chair, while she bounced away to talk to her other friends. I looked at Hyerin and she gave my hand one last squeeze, turning away to face forward. I was on my own.

My phone beeped just then.

"Hey."

I looked at Jungkook, who was staring at his phone intently. 

"Hey." I was quick to respond.

"Do we have any tests today?"

"I don't think so. Why?"

"Let's skip school."

I looked at him again. This time, he matched my gaze and smiled.

"Are you crazy??"

"Yeah."

I bit my lip. Was this his way of mending things?

"Look, I'm sorry about-"

"Please."

I sighed. Was I really thinking about skipping school?

I glanced at Hyerin and pointed to my phone. She looked at the messages, looked at Jungkook, before finally turning to me and nodding.

"I'll get your notes for you. Go."

I smiled at her gratefully, before texting Jungkook again.

"Fine. Let's go."

"Meet me at the back gate. No security there."

I turned my phone off and quietly gathered my things, before the teacher got to class. I looked at Hyerin one last time, but she was preoccupied in giving Jungkook an odd sort of stare. He nodded, as if they were having a silent conversation. Whatever, I thought. She's probably intimidating him.

I watched as he slung his bag over his shoulder and walked out of the class. Alice stared at him as he left, probably wondering where he was going without telling her. I followed soon after, careful not to draw any suspicion. I felt Alice's stare on me too, so I quickened my pace as I speed-waddled out.

 

"Honestly, I didn't think you would agree to skipping school with me." Jungkook chuckled, as we strolled through the streets of Busan. Mostly old people and shopkeepers dotted the streets, while all other children and adults worked and studied.

"I know right." I wrapped my arms around myself. "What the actual am I thinking?"

He laughed again. "You are so weird, Jihye."

"Mmm?" I yawned, the cold making me feel sleepy. "How so?"

"I mean, just yesterday we fought, and you're pretending like everything's ok."

I looked away from him. He walked in front of me like he had yesterday, blocking my way again.

"Why?" He kicked at the snow beneath our feet. "Why won't you tell me why you're upset?"

"It's a stupid reason." My voice cracked. I like you. See, isn't that stupid?

"You're a stupid person." He flicked my forehead. "I kind of expect it."

"Very funny, you brat." I swatted his hand away.

"What were you going to tell me yesterday?" He asked, running a hand through his hair. "Why were you angry?"

I shifted my weight from one foot to another.

"Did I do something?" He persisted. "Did I say something?"

I didn't say anything.

"Come on Jihye, you're killing me." He groaned. "Why are you acting like a child?"

"Because I am one." I stubbornly blew my bangs out of my face.

"Oh my god." He covered his face with his hands. "Have mercy on me, please. Just tell me why you're mad."

"Why are you so eager to know?" I snapped.

"You're my friend!" His voice sounded sad. "It's your duty to tell me if something's upsetting you!"

"Oh, like hell it is." I folded my arms. "Why should I tell you anything if you forget about me the minute you get a girlfriend?" 

"Well, excuse me for trying to spend time with the person I like." He laughed sarcastically.

"All right then, I guess we're done here." I walked past him, shoving him out of the way.

"No we're not." He growled, yanking me back by pulling my arm.

"Get the off of me." I glared at him, pulling my hand away from his grasp. "Why don't you run along to that pretty little girlfriend of yours, hm?"

"Don't bring her into this." He hissed.

"Why not?" I asked. "You asked me why I'm upset."

"What, you've got a problem with her?" He questioned, getting defensive.

"I've got a problem with you." I spat.

"What is it?" His voice got really quiet all of a sudden, taking me by surprise. "You like me too?"

 

Things seem to slow down. The wind blew slower, the people were slower, my heart beat slowed. I could tell him now. Just a nod, or a 'yeah, I do'. A few words could solve everything. It was perfect, because he was asking for it. And for a moment, I thought I was going to say yes.

But I didn't.

 

"What?" I laughed. I wasn't laughing sarcastically, or mockingly. I was laughing at myself, for being such a huge . "No."

He gave me a weird look, as if he expected me to say something else. You think I would say yes? I kept laughing. I wish I could.

"I'm sorry, Jihye." 

"Why?" I wiped at the tears at the corner of my eyes. I couldn't decide if they were from my laughter or sadness.

"I'm sorry." He was barely whispering.

"For being a terrible friend?" I giggled. He looked at me gravely.

"Yeah. A terrible friend." He shook his head. "I'm an idiot."

"You really are." I sighed.

"You're important to me." He fidgeted with his shirt. "You're like this wise old man that offers awesome advice."

"Wow, thanks kid." I said sarcastically, as we started to walk again.

"I don't mean that in a bad way." He flapped his hand. "It's like you're always there when I need you. You always support me."

"Of course." I smiled. "I'm a much better friend than you are."

He rolled his eyes. Things seemed to be normal again.

"Everyone except for my mom is mad at me." He chuckled. "They all hoped I would grow up and become a businessman, or a doctor or something like that."

"Really?"

"Yeah." He sighed. "That's why it's nice to know that you aren't angry anymore. At least I have one supporter."

"What about Alice?" I asked, rubbing my eyes sleepily.

He shrugged his shoulders. "She's ok with it, I guess. That doesn't really count."

I yawned again, but Jungkook grabbed my arm and yanked me to side, nearly making me scream.

"Dude, what the hell?" I screeched.

"Your forgetfulness is going to kill you one day, I swear." He grumbled, pulling me to the other side. "You nearly walked on to the ing road, you dumb ."

I frowned and pouted, mostly because he was right. He switched places with me so I was no longer by the road, ensuring my safety. I smiled softly. Maybe this was his way of saying he cared about me.

 

"Sooooo what do you wanna do?" He stretched his arms. "It's been an hour since school started."

"I don't know." I sighed. "I've never really skipped school before."

He looked around for a while. "Hm, are you hungry?"

My stomach growled just then, and I smiled at him sheepishly.

"Well, there's my answer." He chuckled. "Let's get some cake."

"I want a whole cake." I demanded.

"I'm not made of money." He clicked his tongue. "I'm not paying for you if you buy a whole cake."

"Pfffft, yeah, ok." I laughed. "If you don't buy me a whole damn coffee cake with chocolate icing and cherries on top, I swear to god, I'll make you suffer."

"As if." He scoffed.

"So has Alice seen that photo of you in your Sailor Moon boxers yet?" I asked sweetly. "You know, the one taken when you were 14?"

"A whole coffee cake it is." He announced happily.

"Also, I'm putting you in charge of bringing cake for my birthday." I patted his head. "You always seem to get the good ."

"Sure sure." He mumbled.

"Don't you dare forget, Jeon Jungkook." I threatened him.

"Jesus Christ woman, stop scaring me." He cried. "I won't forget!"

"Attaboy." I smiled and skipped ahead of him, singing as happiness warmed my cold hands. It was just like old times. Only me and him, with the awkwardness and insults that I loved so much. 

I felt happy.