Rain Sound

Do You See Me?

I flopped down on my bed and pulled his snapback over my face. Was that last text an overkill? I was just complimenting him. Friends can compliment each other. 

I grumbled and checked my phone. He still hadn't responded.

I took off the cap and placed it beside me. I wonder if he had noticed why I got so annoyed? We were friends. He trusted me enough to share a childhood memory. That was my place. It would always be my place.

I heard a beeping noise. It was most likely a text from him, but I didn't open it. Instead, I decided to go for a walk to clear my head. It looked like it was about to rain, so I changed into an old sweatshirt with a faded logo of Coca Cola on the front. My dad used to wear it many years ago, but he outgrew it. I picked up an umbrella and told my mom I was leaving, who just nodded indifferently and told me to be home before dark.

 

The air was cool and dry, which was rare for this time of year. I liked it because it helped me gather my thoughts.

As I was killing my brain by making up random scenarios in my head, my eyes fell on a girl standing in front of the most posh house on the street. Rumor has it that the last residents were some noble blood from England, which I had a hard time believing. Nonetheless, she stood beside the gate as the movers loaded crates into the house.

I couldn't be bothered to interact with any humans, so I passed right by her. I could feel her looking at me, but I just kept walking. I'll welcome her some other time.

I walked for about half an hour or so, taking in the cool evening breeze. However, I stopped abruptly when I realized where I was.

I had absentmindedly walked to his house. I stood in front of the gate, contemplating whether to go in or not. I had just seen him a little while ago, barging in like this would be rude, and quite honestly, a little weird.

I looked down at my attire and sighed. I don't think marching into his house with a tattered old sweatshirt and faded sweatpants would make the best impression on his parents. Eventually, I decided against it and settled down on the bench in front of the wall that guarded the house. It felt oddly peaceful here, mainly because they lived in a more rural part of the town. Tiny wooden houses dotted the landscape, as old ladies gossiped on their front porches and little kids ran around playing soccer on the street.

That's when I heard singing. I stood up and peeked over the wall, just enough to make out a faint outline through the open window. I could barely hear what he was singing, but I knew it was Jungkook. Soft strumming accompanied the tune.

I sat back down on the bench and pulled my legs up to my chest, hugging my knees. Few drops of rain splashed on my nose, but I didn't move. Was it creepy just sitting in front of his house like this? More drops fell on my hair and shoulders, as it started to rain heavily.

I loved how the earth smelled during the rains. I inhaled slowly, giggling like an idiot as I stuck my tongue out and caught rain drops on it. My umbrella lay unused beside me. My clothes and hair were drenched by the bone-chilling downpour, but I didn't care. He had brought me to that little cabin. He had played the guitar for me. I was special to him, wasn't I?

And so I decided to stop obsessing. Honestly, it was fine. The way things were, it was fine. I didn't mind the awkwardness that surrounded us when we complimented each other or someone called us a couple. I didn't mind that he didn't look at me as I looked at him. I was willing to go on little trips with him, listen to him, sing with him and just be there for him, as just a friend. Who knows, maybe he would fall for me too if I waited long enough?

I could only hope.