Not Really

Do You See Me?

I tapped my pen against my cheek as I watched the students pour into the classroom. School had finally begun again, which meant that I would get to see Jungkook almost every day. I couldn't have been happier.

Hyerin sat next to me, twiddling her thumbs and sulking in silence. Junghyun had left when she was asleep, so they didn't get to say goodbye to each other. I reached over and patted her head, earning a small smile from her.

"You should start off the school year with a smile, you know." I turned my chair to face her.

She grunted in annoyance. "Tell me exactly what he told you again."

"Well," I began, sighing deeply. "He told me that he was really sorry that he had to leave so suddenly, and to take care of you because he liked you a lot."

"He said 'like', huh." She scoffed. "Of course."

I pursed my lips together and faced forward, afraid of accidentally telling her that he actually had said 'love' and not just 'like'. It had slipped out of his mouth and he made me promise to keep my mouth shut until he could tell her himself.

Jungkook walked in right that moment, strutting proudly as all the girls cooed and fussed over him. He trotted over to us and sat on my desk, leaning against the wall.

"Yeah, Jungkook, you can totally sit on my desk whenever you want." I said sarcastically, trying to push him off.

"You should be honored." He looked at me smugly. "I'm blessing you with my frienship and attention."

"She wants to be blessed by something more than friendship." Hyerin mumbled, and I kicked her shin under the table.

"Anyways," I glared at Hyerin who was clutching her leg in pain. "Did you guys know that there's gonna be a new student in this class?"

"Yeah, I heard about that." Jungkook toyed with my pencil absentmindedly. "She's from Seoul, apparently. Her dad's the CEO of some big company and they're thinking about opening another branch here."

"You seem to know a lot about her." I commented, feeling a little surprised.

"She lives pretty close to us." He explained. "They moved into that huge house near the park."

"It would be nice to have a new face around here." Hyerin smiled. "I hope she's nice. I could do with a new friend."

I gasped and clutched my heart. "What about me?"

"Jihye, you're like a comfort food. I'll never grow tired of you." She patted my hand. "But I would like to try some new dishes as well."

"Weirdest comparison ever." Jungkook laughed.

 

"Good morning, everyone." The teacher walked in, effectively silencing the noisy classroom. A girl of my height trailed after her.

"Good morning, Mrs. Park." Everyone chorused in the standard sing-song tone.

She turned to the girl and smiled, nudging her to the front of the classroom. She stood there meekly, playing with her fingers while staring at her shoes. Her hair was pretty long, longer than what the school allowed. It fell in soft waves around her shoulders, and the sun made it look like it was a light brown color. It was actually quite similar to mine.

"Oh my god, she looks like a ing model." Hyerin whispered to me.

I simply nodded as the teacher began introducing her.

"I'm sure you all have heard that there was going to be a new student in our class." She said, putting her hands on the girl's shoulder. "This is Alice, and she's going to be joining us for this semester."

Alice peeked up, her brown eyes shining and grinned a toothy grin. I swear, all of the guys in our class held their breaths as she did that.

"Hello everyone, my name's Alice." She smiled sweetly. "I've come to Busan for a few months since my dad's overseeing the opening of a new branch of his company. Please treat me well."

"Why is she talking so strangely?" I whispered to Hyerin.

"She's from Seoul, her accent is different." Hyerin explained. "It's weird to hear someone speak like that in real life, though."

"Do you think Jungkook is going to sound as obnoxious as that, too?" I bit my lip, feeling slightly panicked. "I don't want his accent to change."

"Shhh, Jihye." She reached over and squeezed my hand. "Don't think about that right now."

"Who's in charge of the new students this semester?" The teacher flipped through some papers in her hands, before looking at me. "Ah, it's Jihye. Jihye, are you here?"

"Present, ma'am." I squeaked, clearing my throat.

"Good." She sighed. "You know the drill, I hope. Give her a tour, show her the classes, stuff like that."

"Yes ma'am." I looked at Alice gingerly, who smiled widely at me.

 

"So, do you have any other questions?" I turned to look at Alice as we exited the main gym. It was nearly the end of the day, and I had shown her pretty much the entire the school.

She shook her head and smiled again. She seemed to smile a lot for some reason.

"Um..." I scratched my head, not knowing what else to say. "What do you think of Busan so far?"

"Oh, it's simply marvelous." She clasped her hands. "I think your accents are just too adorable."

"Thanks, I guess." I chuckled awkwardly.

"Oh look, I think school's over." She pointed at the herd of students making their way out of the school gates.

"Yeah, I see that." I spotted Jungkook in the crowd and waved to him.

"My car's probably waiting for me outside." She took my hand and shook it fervently. "Thank you for giving me a tour. Let's be friends, ok?"

I nodded and she took off running to the gate. The huge group of students seperated into two, making her a little pathway. Not even one day here and everyone loved her already.

I sighed heavily as Jungkook came up to me and slung an arm around my shoulder.

"Why so glum, chum?" He asked, booping my nose with his finger. "Was school too challenging for you?"

"Ugh, why are you so annoying today?" I pushed him away. "Go away, I don't want to talk to anyone."

He responded by clinging to me again. "Someone's got the grumps."

"I don't like new students." I pouted. "They should just stay where they are."

"Hey, I was a new student at one point." He furrowed his brows. "Does that mean you didn't like me?"

"I hated you." I laughed. "God, you were so ing arrogant."

"I'm not ashamed of it." He smiled smugly. "Let's be real here. My arrogant nature is what attracted you."

"Nope." I shook my head. "I just wanted to beat you so that smrik you have on now disappeared."

He flicked my forehead and I winced in pain.

"This smirk isn't going anywhere." He laughed triumphantly. "Girls like it when I smirk."

"Name one person." I crossed my arms.

"Hmm." He tapped his chin. "The girl I like?"

I stopped dead in my tracks and looked at him. "You...like someone?"

"You didn't know? He sounded surprised.

"No..." I looked down at my shoes, a weird sense of sadness washing over me. "Who is it?"

"Well," He looked at me, blushing slightly. "She has a nice smile. And legs. I think her legs are pretty."

My eyes widened ever so slightly as I thought back to yesterday. Hadn't he complimented my legs?

"I think I n-need a little bit m-more to go on than that." I stammered.

"Her hair isn't really black." He continued to walk. "Like yours."

"U-Uh..." I looked away, hiding my beet red face. "I still don't know who it is."

"Oh." He sounded a little disappointed. "I thought I had made it pretty obvious."

"Y-You could just tell me, you know." I mumbled.

He thought about it for a while. "Nah."

"Why not?" I whined.

"It's fun to torture you." He shrugged. "You'll find out sooner or later."

Before I could say anything else, he ran away, giggling like a maniac. I kicked at the dirt on the ground, hiding my face in my hands.

This was going to be an awesome semester.