Suffocating

Do You See Me?

I was so lost in my thoughts, that I barely noticed Alice and Jungkook enter the cafe. Even though there was barely anyone in the cafe, I don't think they realized I was there, since I was sitting all the way in the back. 

I shouldn't have left this poor kid with Alice, I laughed to myself, looking at how uncomfortable he was at the moment. Oh well, serves him right for being so annoying.

"Um, I think we should call Jihye now." He stammered, pulling out his phone. "Let her know we're here."

Her lips twitched into an amused smile. "Why, are you that afraid of me?"

"What? No." He chuckled nervously. Oh man, this was golden.

"Ok then, I need to tell you something before you call her." She crossed her arms. "This is serious."

I sat up in my seat. This was probably going to be one of the times when she so much that-

"I like you. In a romantic way. I think you're cute, and I would like to go out with you."

The camera fell from my hands and on to the table, cracking the screen as the photo flickered and disappeared.

"O-Oh..." His voice trailed off. "I d-don't really know what to say to that."

"It's a yes or no question. Are you interested in me?"

I sipped my coffee. It burned my tongue, but I kept drinking it. 

 

Jungkook took a long time to answer. He kept looking at something on his phone and then up at Alice, as if pondering something.

"Yeah." He said finally, giving her a sweet smile. "I like you."

"Took you long enough." She giggled, reaching over and ruffling his hair. "I thought you were going to say no."

"Well, no one's ever confessed to me before." He grinned sheepishly. "This is all really new."

"I haven't confessed to anyone before, either." She smiled. "Was I too direct?"

"No, it suited you." He chuckled. "It was perfect."

I felt suffocated, even though the doors and windows were wide open. A cold wind blew in, but I didn't shiver. Jungkook placed his blazer around Alice, who looked down at her hands shyly.

"I'm not going to give this back to you." She wrapped her arms around her protectively.

"Oh man, are you going to start stealing my clothes too?" He whined.

"Too?" She cocked her head to one side. "Who else steals your clothes?"

"Ah..." He shook his head. "...No one."

I closed my eyes, feeling my chest tighten. I looked at him, anger building up inside me. Why was he so happy? He was crushing my heart with every word he said to her.

How dare he? 

 

I sat there for quite a while, simply glaring at them. 

"Should we call Jihye now?" She looked at her watch. "It's almost time to go."

"Just a bit longer." He played with her fingers. "It's nice to just sit here with you."

I got up and went out the back door. It kept getting more and more windy, but I took off my coat and tied it around my waist. The wind stung at my bare arms and legs, but it did a good job of stopping the tears from flowing down my face freely. Why was I crying? I had been so careful not to get my hopes up. 

"She has a nice smile."

He was talking about Alice.

"Her hair isn't really black. Like yours."

Alice's hair was similar to mine. I had known it was similar to mine.

"The girl I like is also nice-rude to me."

Each realization hit me like a ton of bricks. All the hints and clues that had gone right over my head came back to me all at once. I furiously wiped away the stray tears that peeked out of my eyes.

I was so stupid. So ing stupid.