35: Kai/Kyungsoo

50 Fanfic Prompts (EXO One-Shots)

 

Prompt: “Cops and Robbers”

Pairing: Kai/Kyungsoo

Words: ~1200

 


 

‘It’s not like I want to steal things,’ Jongin thinks to himself, as he yanks the aerial chords out of the back of a TV, tossing them over his shoulder before clasping his gloved hands around the screen and lifting. He heads out the back door of the house, piling it into the boot of his SUV, along with the coffee machine, the desktop computer, PlayStation, and the extravagant and somewhat broken chandelier that he’d already marched out wordlessly. Another trip and he’ll be done, clearing the house completely of anything that would get him over $100 at the local pawnshop that didn’t ask questions.

 

If his vehicle hadn’t suddenly veered off the road and catapulted into the back fence (because, if he’s honest, he’s a driver), and if he wasn’t such an excellent lock pick, and the house wasn’t at the quiet end of a backstreet with the two next to it not currently lived in, maybe Jongin wouldn’t have robbed it.

 

‘But,’ he thinks with an unconscious chuckle, ‘I guess I gave up my loose morals a while back when I actually did steal candy from a baby.’

 

Stealing things just happened to be a steady income, and Jongin couldn’t help that his fingers were as light and as quick as his feet. Sure, he was a popular and extremely sought after backup dancer by night, but by day when he had little else to do but practice the steps (which, if he’s honest, are nine times out of ten too easy for him), Jongin can’t help but let his twitchy fingers come out to play.

 

Jongin smirks as he trots back into the house, doing a quick final check of the house and its contents. Nothing more seems worth his time, so he makes his way towards the kitchen, hoping to make himself a cup of tea using the tiny and well-used kettle the occupant of the place seems to be in love with.

 

Jongin freezes. A small, tired-looking owl eyed boy stands in the centre of the kitchen, eyeing the place where the coffee machine had been. Perhaps boy isn’t exactly the right word; more like adolescent, with a youthful and slightly chubby face and the wisdom evident behind those thick, wide-framed glasses. A mix between the innocence one would expect of childhood and aimlessness of an adult with bills to pay and little money in the bank to pay them.

 

‘,’ Jongin realises, ‘It’s Kyungsoo!’

 

Client Kyungsoo. Crush Kyungsoo. One of the lead vocalists in a cover band that he’s currently backup dancing for. Kyungsoo was always quiet and didn’t talk much to people, instead opting to sit to the side and snack on whatever the caterer’s had brought in with a cup of tea between takes. Whist he sung like an angel, his head would turn pedantically from left to right, double-checking his blind spots in the hopes that with increased vigilance, no one would start an unwarranted conversation with him. Not exactly someone Jongin saw himself ever having a chance with.

 

Jongin can’t help but feel slightly guilty, as Kyungsoo turns around and spots him, eyes widening in alarm. The adolescent freezes in what Jongin assumes must be fear, as he towers over him. But even without the height advantage, Jongin admits he probably looks a bit threatening with his black mask and equally black leather pants.

 

Instead of Kyungsoo’s mouth forming a giant “O” with a blood-curdling scream, instead the unexpected happens.

 

Kyungsoo twitches. His arms seem to contort above his head and he almost falls to the floor as his legs begin to spasm. Kyungsoo groans deep, guttural as his left eye closes and right eye blinks incessantly. Jongin takes a cautious step back and all of a sudden the dark-haired adolescent pitches forward towards the floor. Kyungsoo shakes, slowly twitching towards him, and Jongin hops back with a shriek of surprise as Kyungsoo’s head suddenly snaps up, eyes lifeless.

 

And then he starts to chant, and Jongin is pretty sure he hears the words “Lucifer” and “Satan” in amongst what is probably a dead, pagan language that is spewed from Kyungsoo’s lips.

 

Jongin sinks to his knees and holds hands above his head, bracing himself as Kyungsoo steps slowly and threatening towards him, eyes unblinking. He lets out a surprised (and somewhat undignified) squeal as Kyungsoo’s fingers seem to stick to the back of his wife beater like glue, the hairs on the back of his neck standing up. He shrieks in protest as Kyungsoo lifts him up off the floor, drags him into the centre of the kitchen floor, and grabs a knife.

 

Jongin looks about hopelessly for any chance of escape, but unfortunately Kyungsoo (or perhaps demon is the more accurate term) is blocking the doorway, and Jongin already removed most heavy objects he could toss in self-defense into his van.

 

Suddenly, an idea springs to mind.

 

Jongin gets up into a crouching position, wary not to get too close to the knife. He holds up two fingers and crosses them, holding them above his head and towards Kyungsoo. He shuts his eyes tightly and screams loudly, “THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!”

 

Jongin opens his eyes and watches Kyungsoo, who seems intent on watching him. Kyungsoo tilts his head to the side, his eyes widening in recognition.

 

“I know that voice!” Kyungsoo says.

 

He’s dropped the demon act, apparently.

 

Jongin flushes, red colouring his cheeks and neck in embarrassment as Kyungsoo bends over and cackles. Kyungsoo drops the knife to the floor and almost stumbles on top of Jongin as a fit of giggles takes hold. He slaps Jongin on the back, hard, as he struggles to control his laughter.

 

“Jongin, right?” he squawks between gasps of air.

 

Jongin gives him a sheepish nod as Kyungsoo’s lips form an irritatingly cute, heart-shaped smile. Kyungsoo grabs the edge of Jongin’s black mask and tugs it up, revealing a well-chiseled cheekbone and tanned skin. Jongin growls to himself as Kyungsoo tackles him to the ground, laughter finally subsiding.

 

“So who put you up to this?” he asks, a hint of annoyance colouring his tone. “If you say Jongdae, I might just be compelled to slap you in the face.”

 

Jongin gasps like a fish out of water, unable to find the right words to respond. ‘I’m actually a criminal that robs the innocent to make some quick cash on the side’ doesn’t exactly sound the most appealing thing to reveal. Instead, Jongin opts for something a little more deflective.

 

“You make a pretty realistic possessed person,” Jongin says, forcing a weak chuckle. “Jongdae didn’t tell me you were such a good actor.”

 

Kyungsoo looks pleased with himself as he grabs Jongin by the arm and drags him into the garden to retrieve his stolen appliances. Jongin marches the coffee machine, the television, and the PlayStation back into the house as Kyungsoo makes them a pot of tea. Kyungsoo is quick to point out that Jongin will definitely be paying to fix the fence, but Jongin doesn’t mind too much about that.

 

‘If he ever finds out the truth,’ Jongin muses, ‘I’m pretty much ed.’