03: Kai/Kyungsoo

50 Fanfic Prompts (EXO One-Shots)

 


Prompt: "One has had a crush forever and admits it in an angry outburst."

Pairing: Kai/Kyungsoo

Words: ~1300


 

Jongin kind of has a thing for Kyungsoo. It’s not just the way he sings; it’s the small things. His adorable smile, his big boggle eyes and his short temper – especially if Baekhyun’s around and Kyungsoo’s (provoked) outbursts are taken out on that loudmouth. Kyungsoo swears a lot when he’s angry, and Jongin loves every minute of it.

 

Yes, Jongin has a thing for Kyungsoo. And not just the Kyungsoo that is shown to the world on stage, but all of Kyungsoo. Unbeknownst to Jongin, Kyungsoo has a bit of a thing for him, too.

 

It is a boring day for Jongin. The group was supposed to practice the dance for their new song, but Jongin sprained his ankle that morning and putting any amount of weight on it has him groaning and flapping his arms about as he plummets himself face-first into the couch, or the carpet if luck is not on his side. He can hobble, and his way around the apartment with one hand firmly grasping the edges of walls, and one leg up in the air in a hop, but Joonmyun said he should stay home and rest his leg. No dance for Jongin.

 

So Jongin sits in front of the television in their living room. He has his foot draped over the coffee table sitting in a pool of water, as Joonmyun put an ice pack on top of it when he left and Jongin hasn’t gotten up in almost four hours. As the puddle grows steadily, Jongin flicks through channels on the remote and groans to himself about how boring his life is and how uncomfortably wet his socks are. Jongin gives up, turning off the television and staring at the ceiling when he realises absolutely nothing is on (save for reruns of ‘The Bold and the Beautiful’ and equally boring and/or lame dramas from the 90s judging by the state of the hair). He’s about to fall asleep when he hears the front door close with a slam and light footsteps down the hallway.

 

Wordlessly, Kyungsoo steps into the lounge, and it’s obvious to Jongin that he’s pretty pissed. Kyungsoo grabs the ice pack off Jongin’s foot and hurls it into the kitchen where it smashes against the tiles above the sink. Kyungsoo grabs Jongin’s heel, pulls it up, and uses his whole forearm to fling the drizzle on the table onto the floor, which seems to make more of a mess than Jongin thinks Kyungsoo had planned. He then plants Jongin’s foot on the table (with as much force as possible) and careers over Jongin, dumping himself into the couch.

 

“What the ?” Jongin asks, and he regrets it the second the words slip from his lips, as Kyungsoo turns his head and glares at the taller of the pair. Jongin is sure he’s seen some reincarnation of a fallen angel – both because Kyungsoo is gorgeous and because he seems to have flames him from all sides, so fierce is his glare.

 

“ing Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo mumbles, burrowing his face into the pillows again. “ing can’t keep his ing mouth shut. him.” A pause.

 

“And then I come home and you’re sitting like Chanyeol would – a giant invalid without a single cell in your brain. Why the did you not get up or at least kick that off your feet? You’re going to get a cold if you keep your foot in a mini lake. Also – take your ing socks off when they’re wet.” With that said, Kyungsoo grabs Jongin’s foot once again and tears Jongin’s multi-coloured sock off his foot. Jongin winces as Kyungsoo applies too much pressure, giving the smaller a shove. Kyungsoo, of course, is light as a feather and flies into the coffee table, bumping his nose against the glass.

 

“, sorry,” Jongin says, jumping to his feet in an attempt to pick Kyungsoo back up. As Kyungsoo seethes at Jongin from his place on the floor (in the puddle that he created and his now as wet as Jongin’s sock), Jongin puts too much pressure on his ankle and ends up flailing all over Kyungsoo.

 

“, sorry!” Jongin repeats, louder this time, his voice rising an octave as he anticipates his impending doom. No one likes to be around an angry Kyungsoo, and Jongin’s counted his blessings that Kyungsoo hasn’t gotten angry with him before – at least not until now. Jongin braces himself for a kick in the groin or a banshee scream at his face (which are Kyungsoo’s usual reactions to things/people that anger him) but Kyungsoo remains oddly quiet. He firmly plants his hands on Jongin’s chest, pushes the taller back up, and drags himself back onto the couch. He glances at Jongin who is stunned, and holds out a hand. Jongin hesitates before he takes it, finding himself pulled back up onto the couch with Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo isn’t even glaring at him anymore; he won’t even look at him. Jongin lets out a sigh, and shifts uncomfortably before setting his eyes on the ceiling.  Finally, Jongin attempts to stand, shifting his weight back onto his heel and hissing as he presses it down. His foot is entirely numb, and he almost falls again. He holds out an arm in front to steady himself as he hobbles across the carpet and into the main hallway. He’ll be damned if he has to sit one more minute in silence with his crush, especially if he’s as angry as he is now. He knows whatever Baekhyun did has made Kyungsoo (a bit) ty, and he’s only taking it out on the first living thing he’s come into contact with that is not Baekhyun (which is usually Chanyeol’s role, but he’s not here). Jongin shuts his bedroom door and flops onto his bed, not bothering to turn the light on or draw the curtains.

 

“Jongin…” comes a small voice from the other side of the doorway. Silence. A knock. More silence. Two, three, four knocks.

 

“What do you want?” Jongin finally growls.

 

“I’m ing sorry, okay?” Kyungsoo yells.

 

And he’s snapped. If Jongin thought the seething, swearing Kyungsoo from before was bad, this Kyungsoo seems absolutely terrifying. Kyungsoo pounds on the door repeatedly, thud thud thud, and finally kicks it in. Jongin jumps as the thing slams into the carpet and rattles his bed, dragging himself under his duvet in an attempt to hide himself from Kyungsoo. The shorter snarls at him and jumps onto the bed, dragging Jongin’s head out from the covers and pulling it to his chest.

 

“I ing hate you, but I ing love you, you little !” Kyungsoo shrieks. “You’re a ing idiot for leaving the ice pack on for that long! Thanks Jesus I came to check on you, otherwise you would have developed a mild case of hypothermia by the end of this afternoon!”

 

Jongin is stupefied. He tries to look up at Kyungsoo’s face, but the other has his hands pressed to his cheeks. Jongin can hear the rapidity of Kyungsoo’s heartbeat. Jongin pushes Kyungsoo’s arms away, wincing as Kyungsoo’s eyes fill with hurt. Jongin grimaces and pats the bed beside him, tugging Kyungsoo into a hug.

 

“You ‘ing’ love me?” he asks, a grin spreading to his face as Kyungsoo’s face goes beet red.

 

“You f-ing bet I do, you ,” Kyungsoo stutters. “You know why I was so ing angry? I had to come up with some ty excuse to leave practice and come back to check on you without looking like a lovesick retard. So I blamed Baek and left. And when I get back you have your foot in a ing puddle of water with your eyes half closed like you’ve got some weird infectious disease and I couldn’t bear the thought of you moody and sniveling all over the place, especially with your ing foot how it is…”

 

Jongin’s heart stops for a few seconds, before he feels the awkward flutter he usually gets when Kyungsoo smiles at him. Jongin pulls Kyungsoo into his lap, smiling a little as he notices Kyungsoo make sure to avoid his incriminating ankle.

 

“I ‘ing’ love you too,” Jongin finally whispers, nuzzling into Kyungsoo’s neck.