Chapter Fourteen

Maybe Not
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter Fourteen

Confusion and Secrets Unspilled

***

It was the second week of October and almost all of the students in SM Academy were particularly busy as their school will be commencing their annual school festival next week.

Since Kibum's club was under the Performing Arts, they have designed different performances that needed to transpire within the week-long event. The last one being the grandest since the students will hold an open ground concert at the last day. Some of their funds raised will be donated to different charities in the nearby districts in Seoul.

"Since most of your sections are operating different booths for the week, we'll just give out the list of schedules of our programs so that you can partake in your booth-works. Along those schedules are the people involved in the said day so that you know when will your performance will be. Is that understood?" The Performing Arts adviser said to the students in front of her, the students nodding and voicing their agreement.

After the meeting, Kibum found himself on the his way to their own classroom. Their class decided that they'll just assist to the different school-supported booths since most students are busy with their own club presentations. Kibum, along with his friends, decided that they'll help out with the preparation for the open ground concert since most of their schedules are free. Taemin will be probably busy since their dance class will be the one with the most performances.

He found Nicole along with some of his classmates that will be his company during the preparation for the open ground concert. His eyes scanned the room to look for his best friend and stopped in track when he noticed Jonghyun talking to Woohyun, the former's back turned to him.

He saw how Woohyun nodded to something Jonghyun was saying, lifting his head when he noticed Kibum looking their way.

Jonghyun turned his head and saw the feline-eyed boy looking in their direction, Kibum breaking the eye-contact first.

Eversince the episode of Jonghyun kissing Kibum last week, the latter tried to avoid Jonghyun at all cost. He doesn't want any repeat of what happened. Even though what Jonghyun said that day is still embedded in the back of Kibum's mind.

I won't give up.

Jonghyun took long strides towards Kibum before stopping in front of him, whispering. "Take care of yourself."

Kibum just let his hair cover his eyes, Jonghyun inaudibly sighing before leaving the classroom.

"What's up with him?" Nicole questioned when Jonghyun was out of ear-shot, looking at Kibum. The blond decided to leave it uncommented.

Woohyun came up to them and dragged them off towards the Preparation Committee. Nicole soon forgot about Jonghyun and Kibum's behavior, pointing out the things they needed to do for the open ground concert.

"They really should keep that thing sturdy or I might as well sue the council for their stupid plans." Nicole grumbled under her breath, Kibum looking over to what she was referring to.

The student council decided to install attractions like rides to yield a more festive atmosphere.

It was close to lunch time when Taemin met up with them, looking forward to a break from his dance practices. They were still on the ground, surrounded by rides being installed.

"I saw some food stalls around. Wanna grab lunch from there?" Woohyun asked the group, feeling hungry from all the volunteering work they've made.

Nicole plays with her fingers before stuttering out, “I h-have lunch plans.”

Kibum’s smile turned teasing before asking, “With whom?”

The girl glared at him, her cheeks flushing slightly before answering. “With Jinwoon.”

“Aww, our Nicole is all grown up! Going to dates and all!” Woohyun mussed her head purposely, Nicole’s glare turning to him for ruining her hair. She tried to kick his shin but Woohyun was quick to evade it and hid behind Taemin who was watching their exchange with interest.

“Hey.” Jinwoon greeted them, stopping at their side together with Minho and Jonghyun. Kibum’s eyes widening at their arrival.

“Me and Nicole will go ahead first.” Jinwoon bid goodbye, placing an arm around Nicole’s shoulder which made the group grin teasingly. To avoid further banter from their friends, Nicole immediately dragged Jinwoon away.

“So what are your lunch plans?” Minho asked, “Jjong and I are hungry, too. We might as well go with you guys.”

Taemin bit his lip, glancing at Jonghyun discreetly. He can’t believe he’s going to have lunch with his crush!

“How about that meat restaurant a few blocks down. A lot of people might be in the cafeteria anyway.” Jonghyun suggests, Woohyun nodding his agreement since people are milling in and out for the festival preparations.

***

The group ordered a beef set good for five people. It’s a good thing that the place is not crowded inside that’s why their order was immediately served. Jonghyun and Woohyun took charged in cooking the meat, Kibum and Minho sitting beside each other since Taemin immediately took the seat beside Jonghyun.

While eating, Jonghyun kept on making sure that Kibum’s plate was full of meat, Woohyun and Minho sharing amused glances with each other.

“J-Jonghyun, that’s enough.” Kibum voices out, glancing at Taemin briefly who has a blank expression on his face.

“Yeah Jonghyun-hyung, Kibum-hyung can’t finish all of that.” Taemin says, disgruntled about the way things are going. Why does he keep on giving attention to Kibum-hyung?

“Minnie, do you want to have some?” Kibum was about to give his share of meat to Taemin but the latter refused, pulling his plate away.

“I lost my appetite. Excuse me, I need to go to the wash room.”

Kibum watched as Taemin went off towards the hand-washing area, biting his lip worriedly. He was pulled away from his thoughts when Jonghyun called his attention.

“Eat.” Jonghyun says, placing more salad on his plate without a care in the world.

 

“Now I want to sleep.” Woohyun grumbled while they’re on the way to their respective classrooms. “I’m so full I could go without eating tonight.”

Kibum laughs before turning to his friend, “You can’t. We need more manpower this afternoon.”

“Dang it.” Woohyun grumbled, Minho and Jonghyun walking behind them more sedately.

“You’re whipped.” Minho said out of the blue, watching Kibum laughed at what his friend said before looking at Taemin’s direction, immediately looking away when the younger boy looked towards them, more specifically at Jonghyun.

“Yeah.” Jonghyun smirked at him, “I think I am.”

“Minnie, are you okay? Do you feel hungry again? You’ve ate so little back there.” Kibum asks his silent step-brother, Taemin shaking his head before mumbling about going ahead to their club practice room.

Kibum eyed Taemin’s retreating figure worriedly before a hand settled on his lower back, “Where are you guys stationed this afternoon?” Jonghyun asked, not in the least bothered by Woohyun’s presence in front of him. Kibum stiffened on his hold and tried to move away but Jonghyun’s stare made him stay where he’s at.

Please log in to read the full chapter