Chapter Eleven

Maybe Not
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter Eleven

Natural Enemies

***

Jonghyun chuckled lightly at one of his friend’s antics and crossed his legs against the table he was sitting on, just in time for a newly hair-dyed boy came in his line of sight, eyes widening at how cute a certain nerd with his new blond hair.

“Yah, isn’t that your nerdy frenemy Kibum?” Changmin, one of Jonghyun’s friends, joked, checking the newly arrived boy who was being fussed over by Woohyun and Nicole with his new hair colour.

Jonghyun glared at Changmin for a moment who raised his hand in defence. He didn’t respond and just stared at Kibum’s form. Damn, he thought, he looks so good with blond.

Kibum laughed at one of his friend’s remark about his new hair colour and lifted his head when he felt someone boring a hole on his head, making an eye contact with a certain soccer athlete.

“Waah, you look so cute with blond Kibum-ah!” Minho exclaimed, walking over to the male and patting his head, Kibum ducking his gaze with a light blush covering his cheeks. “Thanks.”

Jonghyun’s narrowed eyes travelled to Minho which quickly turned to a glare when the taller boy patted Kibum.

The class’ excitement about Kibum’s new hair was short-lived when their homeroom teacher came in with the usual first period. Minho just smirked at Jonghyun at his way back to his table when he noticed the shorter boy’s glare.

***

“Yubin and I talked about you moving in on us,’ Kibum’s dad informed the teen who froze at the front seat, looking at his Dad briefly.

It’s Friday afternoon and they were on their way to the said doctor’s house after Kivum’s weekly visit with his Dad.

“She told me that it depends on you on when you’re ready,” Kibum’s dad said, a hint of anxiousness seeping his features at Kibum’s blank expression, “You don’t have to decide now, son. It’s all up to you so don’t pressure yourself.” His father smiled, the car rolling to a stop once they’ve arrived at the familiar looking gates Kibum spent nine years of his life.

Kibum bit his bottom lip before nodding to what his father had said, whispering a timid goodbye.

Once the car was out of sight, he released a small sigh and opened the gates, half-heartedly noticing that he was alone after reading the note by his JinHae noona that the food was ready for reheat in the microwave. He peeked at the garage and noticed that his Rain-hyung is probably fetching Jonghyun from school since they’re having a late council meeting. He dragged himself towards his bedroom and pressed his face on his pillow, facing to the side and blinking at nothing specific.

He doesn’t know if he really wants to leave this place; the place he called home ever since he was six-year old. Jonghyun’s brat personally all those years never fazed Kibum on feeling at home because his Imo was there, singing something whenever he had nightmares. A tear fell from his feline eyes when he realized that his Imo has always been there for him yet he never gave her anything to repay that everlasting kindness. And now what? After all those years, he’s just going to leave her?

With all those things in his mind he didn’t notice the rumble outside until it’s too late. A flash of lightning broke out from the glass windows followed by a loud thunder, the sky darkening consecutively and heavy rains drenched the hard ground. He tried to turn on his lamp, whimpering when he realized that the power was out.

‘Mom~!!!’

Kibum’s chest heaved with nervousness as his breathing became laboured, hands grasping his blanket tightly at the unfavourable weather condition. He bit his bottom lip as tears sprung from his eyes, realization dawning on him that he was all alone and no one is there to comfort him.

A sudden outcry from the heavens made him strangle out a chocked sob and forced his eyes to stay close, his frame quivering under his protective cocoon of blankets.

***

“That’s odd. Where’s everyone?” Jonghyun whispered to himself once he noticed the house was unusually quiet, especially with this horrible storm. He tried to turn on the main lights yet it didn’t open, concluding that the power was out due to the thunderstorm occurring heavily outside.

He was brought out from his reverie when his phone vibrated from his back pocket.

“Mom?”

“Jonghyun, please tell me you’re home...” His Mom’s voice from the other line sounded weird, like she’s on the verge of having a panic attack.

“Yes. Why?”

“Honey, please check if Kibum’s already there. You know what’ll happen to—” Jonghyun’s eyes widened before rushing towards the stairs. “Okay mom, I’ll check on him.” He stopped her midway, ending the call.

, he cursed, how could I forget about it!?

He rushed down the halls and opened Kibum;s bedroom..

Jonghyun don’t do that again, okay?

“K-Kibum?” He called out, immediately noticing the shaking lump on the bed,

Kibummie is scared of thunderstorms.

He didn’t receive any response so he stealthily walked towards the other’s large bed, calling softly yet again, “Bummie?”

Upon hearing that, Kibum slowly took a peek from his protective cocoon of blankets, sitting up on his bed,  teary eyes trying to focus on Jonghyun despite the absence of light.

“J-Jonghyun...”  the blond whispered, his anxiety decreasing a bit as he fully acknowledge the other’s presence.

“Wait here, I’ll get you a glass of water...” Before Jonghyun could even take a step back, Kibum swiftly grabbed the other’s hand, his arms quivering as his hand tightly gripped on Jonghyun’s wrist.

“D-Don’t leave please...” He stuttered out, releasing a slight yelp at a specifically loud thunder.

“Okay.” Jonghyun agreed; anything to make Kibum feel better. He sat beside the other, clearly aware at the hand clasped on his wrist. He wrapped his arm around Kibum’s shoulders and pulled him closer to his body, the other’s eyes widening at the unexpected contact.

“Sshh, it’s okay.” Jonghyun whispered to the other, soothingly rubbing his shoulders before humming a soft lullaby.

It didn’t take long for Kibum to fall asleep, eyes drooping as he listened to the calming voice of Jonghyun, head resting on the other’s broad chest.

***

Kibum furrowed his brows as puffs of breath hit his face, his hold on his pillow tightening. That’s weird. Why is his pillow breathing? Did some sort of soul transferred to it? Fluttering his eyes open and rubbing on it, he was met with a sleeping Jonghyun.

He gaped for a moment before remembering that Jonghyun was with him earlier in the middle of the storm. Speaking of storms, it has already stopped and only occasional taps of light rain are there. He pulled back and lay beside the other. Gosh, that was so embarrassing! What if Jonghyun saw him sleeping on his chest? It would be so awkward to talk to him about it.

He glanced at the bedside table and noticed that it was already 2 in the morning, which means he forgot to eat dinner. Whatever he thought and just stared at Jonghyun’s profile.

He doesn’t understand the other to be completely honest. Sure, they’re already ‘friends’ but do friends kiss each other? Yeah, he’s still thinking about that kiss. The kiss that made his head spin for some reason he has yet to uncover. If he kiss another boy, does that make him gay? But Jonghyun kissed him first so... he released a frustrated groan from all the thinking he has done and stopped his troubling thoughts.

This is all your fault, he thought as he glared at Jonghyun but stopped when Jonghyun’s brow furrow before the other’s hand shot up, flailing it aimlessly before it caught Kibum’s waist, the other blushing bright red when he was pulled closer to the brunette’s warm body. He stayed silent as Jonghyun’s furrowed brows relax, letting out a contented sigh.

Kibum closed his eyes after that, ready to enter dreamland again.

***

It was an afternoon in September when Kibum noticed Jonghyun’s quite silent demeanor. Sure, the other stopped pestering Kibum’s life but he still bully him playfully like running him some errands or doing his homework but now the other seemed out of it, tens

Please log in to read the full chapter