Chapter Twelve

Maybe Not
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter Twelve

Hidden and Skipping Heartbeats

***

“Hyung?” Taemin squeaked, noticing Kibum’s back turned to him, the other tensing before facing the younger boy.

Taemin furrowed his brows worriedly when he saw his hyung’s form, his mind drifting away from his crush and to the birthday boy’s welfare. “Are you okay?” He asked, concern lacing his baby features. “You didn’t eat anything rotten, right? I know my Mom’s not a very good cook but I swear I didn’t go to hospital when I was young due to food poisoning!” He mumbled quickly, flinging his arms anxiously.

Kibum smiled a little at Taemin’s bumbling self, feline eyes asking many questions. Taemin grabbed Kibum’s wrist and led him outside while lecturing about the importance of eating healthy foods just as Kibum’s mind wandered...

What does Taemin mean by ‘in front of Jonghyun’? Does that mean that Jonghyun is his crush?

Kibum ducked his head at the latter thought, feline eyes being covered by his hair, a sudden gloomy feeling clouding on him. Why does he feel bothered by the fact that Taemin like Jonghyun? It’s none of his business anyway. Yeah, he mentally nodded to himself, it’s not my business.

He lifted his head just as Taemin stopped in front of him, the two of them already just by the door.

“Hyung..” Taemin whispered nervously, chocolate doe eyes fluttering to meet Kibum’s unfocused gaze. “How did you know Kim Jonghyun?” He asked fretfully, hands clasping at his back while a soft blush coated his baby cheeks. He looked at Kibum for a moment and noticed his hyung’s melancholy expression. “It’s not that you need to answer, really. I’m just curious since uhmm a hyung of mine happened to also know him. I was just wondering if are you uhmm close to him or anything?” He asked hopefully, waiting for the other’s response.

Kibum stared at the floor, averting Taemin’s gaze. “We’re not that close Minnie, he just... happened to be my Imo’s son. She’s the one who took care of me after my Mom passed away.” He bit his lip as tears pooled in the back of his eyes, his longing for his mother rushing back on him.

Taemin fretfully flailed his arms, “Ah, h-hyung don’t cry. It’s your birthday! You’re not suppose to cry. You should be singing at the top of your lungs or something since you can do anything you want in this day or...” the younger nervously tattled, making Kibum laugh a little.

“I get it Minnie.” He smiled at the younger, ruffling his locks to which Taemin pouted, “Yah, don’t mess my hair. I need to be presentable in front of my crush.”

Kibum’s hand stilled, slowly retreating it back on his sides. “So, Kim Jonghyun’s your crush, huh?” he teased, clearly aware of the weird negative feeling on his chest. His teasing smile fell a little at the other’s blinding beam.

“Yup!”

Damn it, Kim Jonghyun. What are you doing to me?

“O-Oh.” Kibum forced a genuine smile, “since when?”

Taemin flushed at the memory, ducking his gaze. “It was my third year in Middle School at Seoul High when their soccer team was against our school for the championship game.” He started, peeking at Kibum, not noticing how the other’s feline eyes widened, “Before the game started, he was always at the entrance and it looks like he was waiting for someone... I think.” Taemin shrugged, “I was asked by my teacher to retrieve something from the faculty room so I hurriedly did it so I can make my way towards him at the exits. Some friends of mine called my name yet I didn’t listen to them. It was too late when I knew that my shoe laces were loose so I lost my balance when I was near him and tripped but,” he paused on his story, his face getting redder than before, “I didn’t fell since he kind of caught me before I kissed the hard ground.” He laughed a little, clasping his hands tighter while his heartbeat fastened.

“It was really comical, hyung! I kept on mumbling my thanks with a red faced while he just smiled, I mean smiled like a killer smile, saying I should be more careful about myself and gosh! My heart did flipflops and all I see was a halo above his head or something.” Taemin sighed dreamily, “In the end, I forgot to give the teacher what she instructed since I didn’t came back at the game afterwards.” He grinned before his joyous look faded, “I don’t know if he still remembered me though,’ he muttered to himself.

Kibum stared at Taemin for a minute, his expression showing how incredulous he is at the sudden knowledge. They met at the game I forgot to watch. He stared at the tired floor, guilt eating him inside as he remembered that peculiar day.

A bark brought him out of his self-pity session, his shoelaces being bit by the brown haired puppy Jonghyun bought for him, the little one growling when it didn’t came loose to his liking.

Kibum laughed a bit at the dog’s little antics, crouching down to pet it on its fluffy head.

“Hello.” He whispered, letting out a small smile when the puppy barked again, its little shaking in the air. “What will you name him?” Taemin asked, also crouching down while placing his elbows on his knees, eyes trained on the dog with sincere curiosity.

“Comme Des.” Kibum told the other, his eyes meeting Taemin’s confused expression.

“Com—what?”

“Comme Des~” Kibum strained out, lifting the puppy and placing it at the nook of his arms, heading outside.

“I’ll go for Com-com.” Taemin nodded to himself, as if it’s stressful to pronounce the dog’s name to which Kibum just laughed.

They went back to the small gathering outside and spotted Kibum’s group of friends still on the pool while Minho and Jonghyun were at the parasol they were sitting on earlier. With the puppy still in his arms, Kibum decided to drag Taemin with him and went to the two boys.

“Hi.” Kibum smiled to the two, Minho smiling back and stares curiously at the other boy behind Kibum who is clearly fidgeting with nerves, baby cheeks coating rosy red.

Jonghyun quietly sips his iced tea while looking up to Kibum, noticing the puppy on his arms. He let out small smile behind the glass, Kibum noticing it too and blushed before clearing his throat.

“Uhmm, so I think I forgot to introduce you guys earlier so I want you to meet Taemin, my younger stepbrother.” He started, gently tugging Taemin forward, putting an arm on his shoulder. “This is Choi Minho,” he pointed to the slightly surprised teen before turning to Jonghyun’s direction, “and that thing is Kim Jonghyun.”

“YAH.” Jonghyun glared at Kibum playfully, swatting his drinking straw at Kibum who cringed visibly. “Eww,” he sneered, pushing Taemin beside the other. “Get to know each other.” he winked at Taemin subtly, sitting beside Minho and putting Comme Des at the table.

“Hyung~” Taemin grumbled under his breath. He could totally feel Jonghyun’s body heat next to him.

“Have we met before?” Jonghyun turned to Taemin intriguingly, head tilted to the side and Taemin couldn’t help but blush further, eyes widening.

“I-I don’t think so.” He lied, turning to Kibum who is smiled at him in response before excusing himself, walking to Woohyun’s side when the other called his attention.

“Yeah, I think I saw you before too.” Minho added, leaning to the table with his elbows, playing with Comme Des but his eyes are trained

Please log in to read the full chapter