Chapter Thirteen

Maybe Not
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter Thirteen

Playing His Role

***

"Yah, why are you ignoring me?" Jonghyun mumbled, louder enough for only Kibum to hear while the latter ignored him still, copying notes while their teacher was writing on the board.

Jonghyun clicked his tongue in irritation and childishly tore a piece of paper from his notes, writing something quickly before passing it to Kibum's table when no one was looking around, well, except for a certain blond sitting at the back three chairs away from Kibum.

That's not a proper way to start a relationship, y'know.

Kibum glared at Jonghyun heatedly, but also well aware of the small blush that has coated his cheeks, crumpling the paper in his hand.

Another paper went to his desk and this time, Kibum was determined to tell Jonghyun to end this nonsense but he was left speechless by what he read.

I really like you.

He felt his heart stop before it took a quite faster beat, blood rushing to his cheeks. He tried to fight off the butterflies swarming on his stomach and bit his lip. That lone sentence gave him the sense of being accepted and it probably left a big impact on himself. He really wanted to become close to the brunette, yet a sense of uneasiness fell on him. 'Taemin...'

It's complicated, sorry.

Slamming his notes shut just when the break time bell rung, Kibum stood up to get to Taemin's side.

"Come, on Minnie."

"Nope," Jonghyun held his hands, blocking their pathway, Taemin blinking at his sudden entrance. "I'm sorry Taemin but I need to borrow Kibummie for a while, okay?" He didn't give any time for Taemin to respond before he dragged Kibum away from the confused younger blond, Kibum's litany of profanities falling on deaf ears.

"Yah! Where are we going?"
Jonghyun didn't respond to that. Instead, he pulled Kibum out of the room, bystanders looking at them weirdly since Kibum kept on struggling to Jonghyun's hold.

He dragged Kibum to a nearby empty classroom and gently pushed him to a chair vacated by students minutes ago.

"Why don't you like me liking you?" Jonghyun asked, propping his elbows on the table as he stared at Kibum's poker-faced expression, the blond internally gaping at the bold confession.

"I.. I don't know what you're capable of." Kibum said, mind racing of the possible lies he could come up with to stop this ridiculousness. He needed it to stop because...

Taemin...

"Huh?" Jonghyun's face resembled that of confusion, furrowed brows and all.

Kibum sighed and mentally prayed that his eyes didn't show how much he wanted to return the other's feelings, crossing his arms against his chest, face void of any emotions.

"You've done things that have traumatized me when I'm only a child. Do you really think I would ever like you?" Kibum's voice was cold. Its as if he didn't know what he's talking about anymore and just stood up to exit the room, leaving Jonghyun shell-shocked.

When the brunette finally processed those words, he let out a humourless chuckle, eyes blurry before a tear escaped. Mind hazy as he acknowledge the painful thud on his chest.

***

Kibum exited the room with a gasp, pushing himself to stop the sob that is threatening to break free in the back of his throat.

He didn't mean it. He really didn't mean any of it. He was just happy, scared, and most of all, guilty. He was afraid of how he'll face Taemin after all of this. Taemin was like the brother he never had and the younger boy always make him happy eversince he started to live with his Dad.

But that moment when Jonghyun confessed to him, it was the most giddy feeling Kibum ever felt. Its like a part of him became completed with just one sentence.

I really like you.

He turned around an empty corridor and pressed himself against the wall, letting out the sobs he've been holding back.

***

Jonghyun entered their classroom with a tensed frame, glad it was empty. He was just about to grab his bag so he can go home when Taemin entered the room, followed suit by Minho.

"Hey Jjong, where have you been? You'll miss lunch when the bell will ring soon." Minho informed him once he took note of the brunette inside the room.

Taemin went to his seat, biting his lip worriedly when he noticed Kibum missing. Where is his hyung?

"Uhmm... Do you know where Kibum-hyung is?" Taemin voiced out when he saw Jonghyun about to exit the room, oblivious to Minho's confused expression.

"No," Jonghyun dismissed, "he left after we're done talking."

"Err, ...okay." Taemin said quietly,  watching as Jonghyun left the room in haste.

He turned to Minho's direction, "Did something happened to Jonghyun? He looks upset."

Minho shrugged but mentally sighed, wishing to know what's really wrong with his best friend.

***

"Who died?" Kibum lifted his head and focused his blurry gaze in Woohyun, the other crouching in front of Kibum's quivering frame.

"I-I.." Kibum couldn't finished his sentence, uncontrolled sobs stopping him from doing so.

Woohyun sighed and hugged Kibum, his eyes conveying his worries for his best friend.

"I-I l-like h-him too but I-I'm s-scared Hyun..." Kibum managed to choked out, gripping the back of Woohyun's school uniform.

"Sshh, just calm down first okay?" Woohyun softly told the other, rubbing his back.


"I know its not in my place to judge Jonghyun just because of his -like behavior before but," Woohyun started, looking at Kibum as the other cradle a hot chocolate latte in his hand, "don't you think its a little bit unfair to both of you? He liked you for a reason Bum and you're just going to throw it away because you don't want others to be hurt? Why can't you be selfish for once?"

"I'm scared..." Kibum mumbled, audible enough for his best friend to hear. "I don't want Taemin to hate me."

"But you'll end up hurting yourself 'bum."

Kibum just bit his bottom lip in response.

***

"Hyung! Where have you been after class? Your eyes are really red!" Taemin bombarded the other once Kibum made it home, the latter smiling timidly at the younger boy.

"It's nothing. Woohyun invited me over and we sort of... watched some family drama." Kibum lied offhandedly, going directly to the stairs.

"Oh. Okay. I'll call you when dinner's ready~" Taemin called out to Kibum's ascending figure, frowning as tye other only  hummed a response  before fully disappearing upstairs.

Once Kibum closed his bedroom locked, he leaned his back against the hard wood, sighing to himself.

His eyes fell on a McDonald toy he got when he was a kid and smiled in its direction, a memory starting to surface in his mind.

His Imo and Uncle said that going to malls could lessen the stress they're feeling at work. That is why thirteen year old Kibum found himself dumped at McDonalds along with Jonghyun when the said latter's parents took off on their own to God-knows where.

Kibum didn't mind being left in this not-yet so crowded fastfood chain, contented with his large-sized fries and sundae. He can't help but feel a little bit u

Please log in to read the full chapter