Chapter 8

The Disturbance (방해가 되다)
XSYKOTICA
Chapter 8 – Desire
( /dɪˈzaɪər/ : a strong feeling that you want something )

 

“No. It’s not me.”

 

Dabin shook his head vigorously. His hair was now in a complete mess, just as how his mind state was.

 

The image of dying Wonjun kept replaying in his mind; how his hand strangled Wonjun’s neck, how he enjoyed seeing Wonjun suffered, and almost everything – he could vividly remember every detail of it.

 

But he still chose to deny it. As he strongly argued that the one who killed Wonjun wasn’t him.

 

With that belief, he sat with both his knees supporting his head in the isolated corner of the living room inside Inhyoung’s apartment.

 

“Do you think you can get away from it,” Dabin eyes bewildered in surprise as soon as the sentences rang out his mind. “Choi Dabin.”

 

“No!” Dabin snapped. “I don’t do anything at all.”

 

A great silence greeted him. The voice had stopped invading Dabin’s space.

 

Dabin let out a relief sigh and hugged his legs closer to his chest even tighter than before.

 

“You’re crazy to even deny your own wrongdoing, Dabin ahh.”

 

Again, the voice came and despised Dabin.

 

“Yes,” Dabin growled. “I’m now going crazy because of you, monster.”

 

A loud and shrill deafening laugh echoed in every corner of Dabin’s mind which made him closed his ears shut with both of his hands. He closed his eyes in pain, as the fight with himself was indeed tiring him.

 

“This monster,” The voice spoke again. “Is-“

 

DING DONG

 

Dabin eyed the front door suspiciously. “Who’s there?”

 

DING DONG

 

Dabin raised a brow. Whoever the person behind that door, Dabin was surely feeling relieved by his unexpected visit in the perfect timing.

 

He stood up and went to open the door. And as soon as he opened it, he saw an unrecognizable face.

 

“W-who are you?” Dabin flinched a little upon he saw the puzzled reaction on the person’s face.

 

“How about you? Who are you then?”

 

“Excuse me?” Dabin swallowed. He could felt that the man’s sharp eyes examined him up from head to toe.

 

“No, it’s just... Isn’t that the owner of this house was a girl?”

 

“H-How you know about that?” This time, Dabin was the one who answered the person’s question with a question. Or maybe, questions. “Do you know her?”

 

“Eh?” The latter gaped at the sudden question. “I-I don’t really know her though. It just I usually saw that this house was dark but suddenly today, this house was bright. I thought she was coming back home so I took a decision to greet her.”

 

Dabin nodded. “That was nice of you for coming by to greet your neighbor. Anyway, where is your house?”

 

“There,” The person was simply pointed his forefinger towards the balcony. “I lived across this house, and my house’s balcony was facing this house’s balcony.”

 

“Oh, so your house was there...” Dabin stated. “You know, maybe we can just greet each other since my girlfriend wasn’t come back home yet.”

 

“S-sure.” The person was stuttering. Then, he shoved his hand to Dabin. “I’m Park Sungjun. You can just call me Sungjun; or even just as your girlfriend’s boy next door.”

 

Dabin let out a small scoff. It was a really ridiculous title or nickname that he had ever heard in his entire life. “I will just call you as Sungjun, Sungjun sshi,” Then, he shook Sungjun’s hand.

 

“Anyway, I’m Dabin. Choi Dabin.”

 

“Miss Yoo,” Sunwoo held Sera’s hands which made she snapped back to reality and faced Sunwoo that sat in front of her in surprise. “Please tell me everything. I really need to know about him; my doppelganger.”

 

Sera turned her face away from keeping their gazes locked into each other. She sighed. Her visit to Choi’s Mansion today was for her to tell Sunwoo’s everything about her finding regarding his doppelganger.

 

“I will tell you,” Sera glanced back to Sunwoo. She took her hand away from Sunwoo’s hand. “But I’m afraid that you weren’t ready enough to hear it. Besides, your condition is still-“

 

“Now, please,” Sunwoo coaxed Sera with his soft eyes. “I need to know it.”

 

Sera nodded. “Okay. I will tell you.”

 

She straightened her position for second before she started to tell Sunwoo for the whole story about her research on doppelganger and how she remembered back her encounter with Dabin two years ago; including the scene where she chased Dabin and ended up she lost him.

 

“I almost got him,” Sera gritted her teeth. “It was too close yet too far. I’m sorry as I couldn’t meet and capture him for you.”

 

Sunwoo patted Sera’s shoulders. “It’s okay. You had done a great job. Frankly speaking, I don’t even believe in that myth, until you called me yesterday and told me about,” Sunwoo swallowed. It was awkward for him to even mention his doppelganger’s name. “Choi Dabin.”

 

“Me too. I don’t believe in this doppelganger thing but anyway, I’d already encountered it by myself,” Sera smiled. “And maybe this is the reason why you have to go through all these things – as you two look alike.”

 

“But still,” Sunwoo bit his lower lips. “Is another me was the killer? Isn’t that he saved you before?”

 

“All we have to do right now is to capture him, and make him admit his crime, if it is indeed his,” Sera stated in her usual professional tone. “Then, we would decide what we’re going to do about him next. If he is the killer, he should be repent for his mistakes; and that should be enough to put everything back to normal.”

 

“So, how are you going to capture him?”

 

Sera stared into the air. “I’ll find him for you. You shouldn’t be worry about that.”

 

“May I go with you?”

 

Sera quickly looked towards Sunwoo in surprise. “No! You’re still under police’s surveillance.”

 

“But I know you can arrange it for me, right?” Sunwoo’s eyes glistened with hope. “I’m sure that I can help you. Besides, he’s my doppelganger; maybe we have anything in similar-“

 

“It’s dangerous. And besides, what makes you become so sure for me to get a discharge for you?” Sera asked Sunwoo with her tension face.

 

“You’re a girl,” Sunwoo calmly replied despite the tension air that started to arouse between both of them. “And that’s what makes it more dangerous; yet give me a strong desire to go along with you.”

 

Sera was at loss of words. She was strongly disagree for Sunwoo to come along as she was really capable to do it all by herself – or so she thinks – and she was going to make her best to change Sunwoo’s mind.

 

“No. No matter what, I won’t put my client in danger,” Sera quickly stood up from the chair and held up her bag before Sunwoo suddenly held her wrist.

 

“And I won’t let my lawyer in danger,” Sunwoo sternly stated. “When I know that she did all these just for my sake.”

 

Both of Sunwoo and Sera were looking directly to each other’s eyes, as if trying to communicate by telepathy. There was no even a sound came out from their mouth. The one who talk in this moment was only their eyes.

 

“Do you believe me?” Sunwoo suddenly broke the still air with a question.

 

“What? O-of course, I believe in you, Mr. Choi Sunwoo.”

 

“So, please,” Sunwoo finally let go of Sera’s wrist. “Believe in me once again.”

 

The dark clouds started to cover the sky. And the wind began to blow.

 

But as if even the nature couldn’t stop Dabin from being suspicious for Inhyoung’s boy next door, or exactly her neighbor; he went to the opposite block of the apartment and now, he had been in the same floor with Inhyoung’s house and was going to find for Sungjun’s house.

 

“No, it’s just... Isn’t that the owner of this house was a girl?”

 

“Just how...can he know about that?” Dabin questioned to no one in particular. Then, he walked to his side just to see Inhyoung’s apartment across the road. “He was in this opposite block, and yet the distance was quite far...”

 

“I-I don’t really know her though. It just I usually saw that this house was dark but suddenly today, this house was bright. I thought she was coming back home so I took a decision to greet her.”

 

“Greet your neighbor that lived across you?” Again, Dabin asked for a question that had no answer. “That was too absurd.”

 

“The apartment blocks were built like a mirror; which means that block’s house 401 would face this block’s house 401. The house’s number will be just the same.”

 

Dabin could still remember what the janitor’s lady talked to him about this apartment’s design that uniquely facing each other – left and right – almost like a mirror reflection between each other.

 

He tightly gripped the house’s card in his hand. He would find for the house’s number that same as Inhyoung’s house number.

 

And at last, he found it. But not as what he expected it to be.

 

Dabin went near the house’s door full with curiosity as the door that was supposed to close, was been slightly opened.

 

“Did Sungjun sshi forgot to lock his door?”

 

Dabin swallowed. This was his chance to actually enter Sungjun’s house to find any clue to prove him right or wrong in his own hypothesis that Sungjun would probably knew Inhyoung’s whereabouts.

 

He stretched his arm towards the door handle but then he took his hand back to its position.

 

Dabin bit his lower lips in hesitation. Should he really do this?

 

“Do it, Dabin.”

 

His mind told him to just proceed to trespass Sungjun’s house; and he did it.

 

CREAK

 

The house itself was in a pitch dark and Dabin’s hand fumbled in finding the lamp switch on the wall.

 

TAK

 

“Oh?” Dabin gasped. “It’s broken.”

 

Dabin was being left with no other choice, but to use the torchlight application in his smartphone to light up his surrounding for him to have a better view of Sungjun’s house.

 

And right when the light falls onto a part of the house’s wall, he stared it in disbelief.

 

“Oh my...”

 

And rage started to conquer his mind.

 

“Seo Inhyoung....” Dabin went near the walls that have a lot of pictures in different kind of sizes that had been pasted. And the worst case is when the person inside the entire pictures is the person that he looked for.

 

All of them are Seo Inhyoung’s pictures that had been secretly taken.

 

“Another stalker...” Dabin shook his head in disbelief. At first, he thought that Sungjun would lead him to meet her; but instead he just led him to be in his monster form – once again.

 

It’s not just because of the photos; as he spotted binoculars at the top of the desk that was located near the glass window.

 

Dabin gulped. He slowly went towards the window and flipped the curtains aside – and that’s when he saw Inhyoung’s house right in several meters ahead from his stature.

 

“It can’t be...”

 

“Can’t be what,” Dabin stunned as soon as he heard a man’s voice behind him. With a quick speed, he glanced to his side just to meet with Sungjun’s reflection from the glass window, who was looking at him with deride looks on his eyes. “Dabin sshi?”

 

Dabin gritted his teeth in desperation. “Y-you....”

 

Sungjun clapped his hands. “Congratulations. You had found me – at last.”

 

Dabin who was dumbfounded by Sungjun’s words finally turns his body around to face Sungjun. “Just what do you mean by that, Park Sungjun?”

 

Sungjun smirked. He walked closer to Dabin and he put his hand on Dabin’s shoulder as his other hand took a picture from the wall near Dabin.

 

“You know, the one is destined for Seo Inhyoung is not you,” Sungjun caressed the photo of Inhyoung smiling happily in his hand as if he was actually fondled the real Inhyoung. “Nor even Kim Minsu to be exact.”

 

Dabin’s eyes bulged. He was surprised to hear Minsu’s name been said by Sungjun.

 

Sungjun glanced towards Dabin for a moment before he walked away from Dabin stature and heading towards the coffee table in the middle of his living room. As for Dabin, he swiftly shoved his smartphone in front of him to find Sungjun.

 

And he finally found Sungjun who was turning his head to him with a psychotic smile.

 

“I’m the one who loves her first. And two of you didn’t have any right to love her!”

 

As soon as he finished his sentences, Sungjun went forward and punched Dabin on his stomach, making Dabin’s smartphone had been thrown away on the floor.

 

Dabin cursed under his breath. He didn’t see it coming and as result, he felt the stinging pain now.

 

“I like her. I love her with all my heart,” Sungjun spoke his heart out. As Dabin didn’t see his location, he uses his advantage to punch him secretly. And this time, he targeted right on Dabin’s face. “But why, just why, she didn’t see me? And you! You’re just crossing the line, Choi Dabin.”

 

Dabin started to feel exhausted. He breathed in and out heavily. He glanced to his sides just to predict where Sungjun would make his existence soon.

 

“You shouldn’t exist in my life!”

 

DUSH

 

“Stop it, Park Sungjun!” Dabin finally got Sungjun under him. He pulled Sungjun’s hair with all his might until Sungjun let out a shrill cry. “I don’t even understand anything that you rambled about.”

 

Sungjun smirked. And Dabin swore he wanted to just punch Sungjun’s face right at that moment. “Of course you don’t. You’re not even belong to this life ever since.”

 

Dabin started to lose his patience. “What the hell are you talking about?!”

 

“You cannot, no; you didn’t belong to Seo Inhyoung and even this world.”

 

BAM

 

Dabin gave his last blow to Sungjun with a hard punch directly to Sungjun’s face, up until Sungjun’s nose bleed and one of his teeth flying out from his mouth.

 

“Don’t say that I didn’t warn you before, Park Sungjun,” Dabin whispered to Sungjun’s ears. “Once again you talk all these rubbish; maybe I will kill you right here without any hesitation.”

 

Sungjun spitted his own blood to Dabin’s face. “I can’t stop talk thing that you called as rubbish; because that is the fact. But you didn’t want to accept it, don’t you? And I saw how you killed him; Jo Wonjun.”

 

“Shut up!!!”

 

Dabin pushed Sungjun’s body harshly up until he heard a loud thud which he could consumed that there was an impact of collision happened to Sungjun as the consequences from his brutal act.

 

Dabin crawled to his side where his smartphone at and shoved the light towards his front.

 

And as soon as he did that – he couldn’t believe his own eyes.

 

All he saw was a thick blood coming out from Sungjun’s head as his head met with an iron table leg. And the one that he couldn’t forget is how Sungjun’s big eyes were motionless staring to him; as if to remind Dabin the fact that he had already killed another person.

 

Dabin froze at his spot. Terror flashed across his face.

 

His monster-self defeated him once again.

 

Sera coughed. She felt as if was dry and quickly gulped the energy drink that she brought all along with her.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Sera glanced to her side just to meet Sunwoo concern eyes that looks towards her condition. She closed the bottle’s lid. “Yes I am. Just keep focus on your driving, Sunwoo sshi.”

 

Sunwoo quickly turned his focus back to his front as he gripped onto the steering hard. “You look pale; just how I couldn’t worry about you?”

 

Sera stunned. Did her face turned white enough due to her fatigue?

 

“You see, Miss Yoo, I can send you back home if you want to.”

 

Sera shook her head. “We’re already in our journey to find for your doppelganger – and we shouldn’t delay any time for it. Besides, you’ve only discharge for a day.”

 

“And being under your surveillance, I know,” Sunwoo turned the steering wheel to the left. “It’s been a long time already I didn’t get a chance to went anywhere besides BR Corporation.”

 

Sera looked to Sunwoo. “You’re just kidding me right?”

 

“No,” Sunwoo glanced towards Sera for a moment. “I really am.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Soon, Sunwoo pressed the brake pedal when the traffic light had turned red. Sera coughed again for nth time. She didn’t know how her body could become weak.

 

“Water,” Sunwoo shoved to her the energy drink bottle. “I see that you’re drinking it.”

 

Sera took the bottle and drank it. “Thanks. I haven’t got a chance to say it to you before.”

 

“You’re welcome,” Sunwoo smiled. “I’m glad that you like it.”

 

Sera smiled along with Sunwoo as she then glanced to her right. She could saw the cars coming from the opposite traffic past through their car and that’s when she suddenly saw a figure inside the car that have similar visage as Sunwoo.

 

“Choi Dabin,” Sera whispered out the person’s name. Right then, the traffic light turns green and Sera quickly alerted Sunwoo to follow behind Dabin.

 

“Sunwoo sshi, make a U-turn!”

 

The car’s wheels let out a loud screeching sound as Sunwoo pressed onto the gas pedal more than before. He knew that he should slow down his car; but that wasn’t the issue now – as he was eventually getting closer to his doppelganger.

 

“There he is!”

 

Sera kept looking for the black metallic car which was distance away from them as she didn’t want to lose him anymore. Sunwoo pressed the gas pedal harder, and turned his steering wheel to his left and right as he was trying to dodge other cars near him.

 

It took a long time to stay following him from behind; and soon they were finally realized that they were ended up in the countryside’s area – the place that they had never known about its existence.

 

“What is this place?” Sunwoo pressed the brake pedal before he pulled the handbrake. He looked over to a car in front of them and also the abandoned building near them with a suspicious looks all over his face. “It’s seems like a trap; I don’t think what we’re doing now is right.”

 

Sunwoo turned his head to face Sera. And he could see that Sera’s face turned ashen more than before.

 

“Miss Yoo Sera?” Sunwoo held her forehead. It’s hot. “I will bring us back to Seoul-“

 

Sera clung onto Sunwoo’s sleeve. “No. Don’t.”

 

“But you have a strong fever now, Sera sshi!” Sunwoo raised up his voice. “Now listen to me, we have to go back to Seoul-“

 

“Right after all these journey; you want to come back and simply lose your chance to prove your innocence, Sunwoo sshi?” Sera swallowed. “I can handle this fever. Now, you go and find for Dabin.”

 

“And leave you all alone in this abandoned place?” Sunwoo shook his head. “No. I won’t do that.”

 

“I will stay inside this car and even lock the door,” Sera stated, trying her best to convince Sunwoo to go to look for Dabin. “I know how to take care of myself, don’t you worry.”

 

“No. I don’t like this idea-“

 

“You had asked me yesterday,” Sera spoke as she looked towards Sunwoo’s eyes. “Whether I believe in you or not, am I right?”

 

Sunwoo swallowed. “Yes, I did.”

 

“And I choose to believe you.”

 

Sera and Sunwoo looked towards each other for seconds before Sera told her main point; and also her last try to make Sunwoo fight to prove his innocence by capturing his doppelganger with his hands.

 

“And I hope you could put your faith in me too, Choi Sunwoo.”

 

TAP TAP

 

Dabin walked lifelessly on his way back home. Yes, home. He was finally going back to where he belongs to.

 

He was tired to be inside a new place, and even to do something beyond his own will.

 

“No, Dabin,” Dabin whispered to himself. “You’re doing nothing wrong at all. Just forget it. Forget it.”

 

“You’re not even belong to this life ever since.”

 

Dabin gritted his teeth. “It’s just your imagination, Choi Dabin.”

 

“And I saw how you killed him; Jo Wonjun.”

 

“I’m kind of missing you already, Hyoungie.”

 

Dabin closed his ears with his hands. “I don’t hear anything.”

 

Dabin huffed as he passed through houses and soon he finally reached his house.

 

He closed his eyes and breathes the fresh air before he opened his eyes back and pushed his house’s gate.

 

SWUSH

 

Dabin raised a brow. There was an envelope that fell near his feet. “I had never seen this before.”

 

He took the envelope and examined it before he finally took his decision to open it.

 

“What the-“

 

Dabin couldn’t continue his sentences right when he took out several pictures inside the envelope. It was again, Inhyoung’s picture but there’s something different about it.

 

The girl was indeed Inhyoung; but she seems quite different with her clothing style – it’s as if she had changed right after they broke up.

 

“So, this is it,” Dabin snorted. “This is why we should break up in the first place. You can finally become your real self.”

 

He looked over to another picture. And Dabin flinched when his eyes saw a person beside Inhyoung in that picture.

 

It was a guy.

 

And he then moved the next pictures up until the last picture; which turned out to be the guy’s picture with a sticky note been pasted on it.

 

Dabin slowly read the message that was actually been addressed to him.

 

Choi Dabin, I know more about Inhyoung whereabouts right now; and I really want to talk to you about it in personal. But...nowadays, I could felt like my life is in danger. And right when you found this envelope, maybe I had ended up in somewhere that I didn’t even want to imagine for it either.

 

Based on my research right after our last meeting before, Inhyoung was with this man. And I’m actually going to meet him today to ask about Inhyoung. I had given along with the address right behind this picture, just in case, if anything really happened to me – I beg you, please save Inhyoung.

 

Kim Minsu

 

“Save Inhyoung?” Dabin murmured under his breath as his hand flipped the picture over just to see an address had been written on it.

 

He could tell that something was wrong since from the very beginning. And if his hunch was right, he have to race against time as he wasn’t only going to save Inhyoung, but he was also going to save Minsu as well.

 

He put all the photos back inside the envelope, and he took out Inhyoung’s car keys from his pocket. He had use her car right when he left the apartment after the accident in Sungjun’s house happened, and now, he was going to use it again to save his love.

 

He ran in his full speed down the hills up until he found the car and hopped in. Within a short time, he inserted the keys and pressed the engine button before he simply pressed the gas pedal.

 

He couldn’t help but to think about Inhyoung’s safety. And with that reason, he was going to drive there as fast as possible.

 

“Wait for me. I will save you.”

 

“Where is Miss Yoo Sera?”

 

A woman that was typing something on her keyboard quickly lifted her head up and faced Changwook who was standing at the doorway of her office.

 

“If I’m not mistaken, she had come by this morning to take several of her files before she went out from the office,” The woman massaged her temples. “Maybe she is having her day-off today, isn’t that so Mr. Ji?”

 

Changwook’s face frowned. “She hadn’t told me anything about that.”

 

“Guess that I couldn’t help you then,” The woman shrugged. “I really don’t know where she has been today.”

 

“It’s okay. Sorry for taking your time,” Changwook bowed before he closed the door.

 

He sighed. He knew well that Sera won’t excuse herself from her work without any solid reason. But his sense of foreboding keeps him felt anxious about Sera’s whereabouts.

 

He took out his smartphone right when he was being inside his office and called for Sera.

 

TUT TUT

 

“Sorry. The number-“

 

Changwook pressed the virtual red button on the screen. “Why you close your phone, Sera yah.”

 

As if he didn’t succeed by calling Sera, he called Detective Na as he thought the only reason that could make Sera behaved this way was all about Sunwoo and his doppelganger that she admit to see him when they meet in the café day before.

 

“This is Detective Na Dokyun speaking.”

 

“Hello. This is Attorney Ji Changwook speaking,” Changwook made his simple introduction before he went straightly for his purpose to call Detective Na in the first place. “I’m Miss Yoo Sera’s companion for her case with Mr. Choi Sunwoo. May I know if Miss Yoo had been there with her client right now?”

 

“Miss Yoo wasn’t here,” Detective Na replied. “She had just made an appeal for Mr. Choi Sunwoo’s short discharge for today by being under her surveillance. And I think she was with him right now.”

 

Changwook raised a brow. “So, you are saying that Miss Yoo with Mr. Choi Sunwoo?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Do you possibly know where they are going to?”

 

“Unfortunately, no,” Detective Na said. “I don’t know where they are going to. I thought she was bringing him to her firm?”

 

“Maybe she will soon,” Changwook bit his lower lips. “Thank you so much, Detective Na. I hope that we can solve this case soon.”

 

“Yeah, we should.”

 

TUT

 

The phone conversation was over. And now, Changwook had found the answer for Sera’s absence.

 

But still, it worries him even more.

 

He knew that he shouldn’t as Choi Sunwoo wasn’t a bad person, and he had known his brother for a long time already. But as if the case was getting more complicated, and even Sunwoo has a doppelganger – he felt that there was something wrong happened in this case.

 

But it’s just – he didn’t found the answer for it yet so far.

 

Changwook stared to his phone screen before he made another call.

 

“Hello,” Changwook walked over to his table. “May I request for someone’s information from you?”

 

He sat on his chair and turned it around until he faced the window and looked towards the blue azure sky.

 

“Yes, I need the information for one of my case.”

 

“Name? Ah yes,” Changwook tapped his forefinger on his lap. “It’s Choi Sunwoo and Choi Dabin.”

 

Petite's Note : Park Sungjun is the new character revealed in this chapter (and yet he had been killed by Dabin T^T). Anyway, it seems that Sunwoo are going to prove his innocence with the help of Yoo Sera. Meanwhile as for Dabin, right after he found Inhyoung's psycho stalker who claimed himself to be the most perfect one for Inhyoung; he met another trouble and new information - which had been puposedly put both Minsu and Inhyoung in danger.

The mysterious guy who suddenly existed; who is he and what is his relation with Inhyoung? And is Changwook's bad hunch for this case is true? Stay tuned for the next chapter - or, should I say it as the last two chapters of The Disturbance already~~

So, as for the song recommended for this chapter, I personally listened to 'Psycho' by History.

 

Words count : 4, 490