Chapter 6

The Disturbance (방해가 되다)
XSYKOTICA
Chapter 6 – Reconcile
( /ˈrek.ən.saɪl/ : to find a way in which two situations or beliefs that are opposed to each other can agree and exist together )

 

Sunwoo gave a vacant stare to his surroundings. His face turned expressionless, and pale; as he couldn’t accept the fact that he had been jailed behind the cold metal bars for a crime that he didn’t even did.

 

The image of a man in his full black attire keeps playing inside his mind ever since from he watched the CCTV footage together with his lawyer, Yoo Sera. He admitted that he was in his utter shock as soon as the face of him was what he saw on the screen.

 

A face of his that he didn’t even recognized before.

 

It was his face, but it’s not him. Maybe its sounds crazy, but Sunwoo really meant it.

 

But just how can he prove that the man in the footage wasn’t him?

 

Sunwoo sighed hard. It’s getting complicated from time to time.

 

CLANK

 

“You have a visitor.”

 

Sunwoo gave a curious look towards the jail’s warden as soon as the sentences came out from the warden’s mouth. “Visitor? For me?”

 

The warden didn’t give out any reaction as he cued Sunwoo to come out from the jail as he escorted him behind. As soon as they arrived to a room where the prisoners could meet their visitor, Sunwoo entered the room with a slight hope in his heart.

 

He hoped that he will hear good news about this case.

 

KRAK

 

All he could see was the back of a man; which turned out to be someone’s that he knew and the person that he didn’t want to meet the most in this kind of situation.

 

Sunwoo was embarrassed, and he felt that he was such a burden to him.

 

“Hyung.”

 

Jinhyuk turned his body around just to meet his younger brother’s face. “Sunwoo yah. How are you?”

 

Sunwoo tried his best to smile. “I’m okay, hyung. Maybe jail wasn’t that bad after all.” And even to make a joke.

 

But Jinhyuk didn’t seem pleased enough by Sunwoo’s joke, as his face turned more serious than before. “Choi Sunwoo. I’m going to ask you a question, so please answer me, okay?”

 

Sunwoo took his seat. And so was Jinhyuk too. “I know what you’re going to ask me, hyung.”

 

Jinhyuk sighed. His question wasn’t a hard question that Sunwoo doesn’t even know – but as he needed to hear the answer right from Sunwoo’s mouth, he will ask it.

 

“Are you the killer?” Jinhyuk groaned. “No. I know that I shouldn’t doubt you but-“

 

“Hyung,” Sunwoo calmly called for Jinhyuk. “I’m not.”

 

“Then how you could be ended up here?!”

 

“I don’t know!” Sunwoo groaned. “I don’t even know what kind of catastrophe that came into my life, hyung!”

 

“I heard that the police found you,” Jinhyuk paused himself for a moment as he felt a lump in his throat. “In their new proof.”

 

“It is,” Sunwoo weakly replied. He hung his head low in despair. “But I swear that it’s not me.”

 

Jinhyuk left his mouth agape. He softly murmured in his lowest voice. “It’s not you?”

 

Sunwoo cupped his face. He didn’t know how he will explain it to his brother as the sentences that he was going to say could possibly made him looked like someone that had just went out from an asylum.

 

“Tell me, Sunwoo yah, you-“

 

“Hyung,” Sunwoo called. “Do you believe me?”

 

Jinhyuk flinched. He eyed Sunwoo carefully. “Of course I am. You’re the only family that I have; and yet which brother wouldn’t know his brother?”

 

Sunwoo swallowed. He was touched by Jinhyuk’s word. As for Jinhyuk, he flashed out his best smile for Sunwoo.

 

“I believe you, Choi Sunwoo.”

 

 “Thank you hyung.” Sunwoo smiled. “The person in the footage had a similar visage as me. I was surprised at first, and yet I’m still surprised by the fact that I have…a twin in disguise, maybe?”

 

“Ridiculous!” Jinhyuk raised up his voice a bit. “What I mean is, how can you have a twin? I’d never know about it – at all!”

 

“Seriously, hyung?” Sunwoo’s eyes bulged. “I thought I have a twin as our faces are so similar.”

 

“I’m the one who was there right when our mother delivered you, Sunwoo yah,” Jinhyuk massaged his temples softly as he felt quite confused with everything that he had heard from Sunwoo’s mouth. “I believe that our late father and mother will say the same thing as I am. You have no twin, Sunwoo yah.”

 

Sunwoo harshly laid his back to the chair. “I couldn’t think of anything for now, hyung. And yet, I really want to get out from here as fast as possible – and cleared out my name.”

 

Jinhyuk sighed. “I really hope so too. But since you’re saying that the person who looks like you isn’t you; it somehow remind me of a word that I’ve heard when I lived in Berlin.”

 

“A word?” Sunwoo raised a brow. “What word?”

 

“I’ve heard about a phenomenon where several people could possibly have their own look-alike or double of a living person,” Jinhyuk stated. “But I don’t know whether it could be imply in this kind of situation but-“

 

“Is this somehow,” Sunwoo asked. “Your conclusion for this, I suppose?”

 

“Yes,” Jinhyuk’s voice shook as he spoke. “But, maybe no.”

 

“Just tell me the word,” Sunwoo who was not being patience enough to wait for his brother’s conclusion, started to urge Jinhyuk to tell him his point.

 

Jinhyuk nodded. He knew that he shouldn’t waste his visiting hours, and finally he made his decision to tell Sunwoo about the rare and sometimes known as a paranormal phenomenon.

 

“I think you have a doppelganger, Sunwoo yah.”

 

Breathless panting could be heard vividly as soon as both of them fell on the floor across each other. The blood stains were freshly oozed out from their parted lips. And even their eyes and cheeks had been bruised as the result from their fight just now.

 

A mocking laugh soon could be heard. And he stood up and walked to face the other lad.

 

“I must say that you’re good in fighting,” He sneered. “Choi Dabin.”

 

He shoved his hand towards Dabin. Dabin smirked before he took the offer for him to be able to stand up properly despite his lethargy.

 

“I didn’t even know about you, and yet you’re trying to tell me about Inhyoung,” Dabin wiped the blood on his lips before he simply brushed it off on his clothes. “And so, I was thinking about this when we’re fighting before; who exactly are you?”

 

“Choi Dabin. I can’t believe that you’re actually asking who I am,” He smirked. “But as I assumed that you don’t even know me right from Inhyoung’s mouth; should I really introduce myself to you?”

 

“You’re Inhyoung’s fiancé,” Dabin stated the fact that he hardly believed. “That’s all that I could know from you, even though I didn’t believe it.”

 

He scoffed. “We’ll see soon whether you’ll believe me or not, Choi Dabin sshi.”

 

With that sentence, he soon vanished from Dabin’s sight as he walked upstairs to one of the rooms and minutes later, he walked down with a book in his hand.

 

Dabin caught a glimpse to the book’s cover.

 

The same red rose painting that he had discovered on Inhyoung’s notebook in his house before.

 

“Here,” He gave the book to Dabin. “This is Inhyoung’s diary.”

 

“Her diary?” Dabin asked. “Why you give this book to me?”

 

He smiled triumphantly before he simply took a seat on a loveseat in the living room. “All the answers that you looked for were inside the book.”

 

Dabin looked at him in awe before he shifted his gazes to the book.

 

Should he really read this?

 

Dabin’s hand slowly reached for the cover and flipped it over.

 

Seo Inhyoung’s diary

 

Dabin flinched. Soon he flipped the page and read her first entry.

 

You’re making me happy; just by your existence.

I’m the happiest girl alive maybe? O.o

I’m so lucky to meet you.

Yes, it’s you.

My only love,

 

 

Kim Minsu.

I love you now, forever and always :)

 

“Kim Minsu,” Dabin softly said out a name written on Inhyoung’s diary right when his eyes averted towards the man that was comfortably laid on the loveseat, facing him with his dark eyes.

 

Dabin quickly shifted his eyes back to the book. He decided that he needs to know more about Inhyoung and Minsu’s relationship whether whatever that Minsu said to him before was true or not.

 

He flipped the pages over; and he saw a picture that had made his blood boils in rage.

 

A picture of Inhyoung and Minsu kissed each other affectionately.

 

I’m going to miss him very much.

Today he was going to go to New York for his project.

And I know, I should let him go and supports him;

But it just…I couldn’t put away those worries inside me.

 

Will he be okay by himself?

No. That question is actually for me :P

Am I going to be okay here, in South Korea, thousand miles away from him for a week?

 

Minsu ahh, I hope that this kiss won’t be our last.

I want us to be together like this for forever. :)

 

 

Again, he flipped the page just to meet an entry that was actually meant for him.

 

I’m his. And he’s mine.

We’re officially becoming fiancé.

 

Thank you for accepting me; I love you.

 

Seo Inhyoung x Kim Minsu

- April 20xx -
Forever. :)

 

Dabin closed the book. He just couldn’t continue to read her entries anymore.

 

His heart hurts badly upon the fact that he never knew before.

 

And what makes it even hurts, was when he started to discover that he is the one who is the third person inside Inhyoung and Minsu’s relationship.

 

“No wonder that you mad at me,” Dabin slowly stated. “Kim Minsu.”

 

Minsu eyed Dabin from afar. Then, he slowly went towards Dabin and patted his shoulder. “I’m sorry that I have to tell you in this way.”

 

Dabin hung his head low. Soon, Minsu walked away from Dabin.

 

“Kim Minsu!”

 

Minsu halted his way, and turned around to face Dabin. “Yes?”

 

“I…” Dabin stuttered as he couldn’t say the sentences out easily. He closed his eyes for seconds before he faced Minsu with courage.

 

“I believe you now, Kim Minsu.”

 

CLICK

 

A folder right inside the computer been opened.

 

CLICK

 

And soon, the folder been minimized and the desktop background could be seen.

 

Sera slowly let out a sigh. She looked over to her office as her hand was knocking the table in despair. She didn’t know how to face this case; but at the same time she felt that she shouldn’t give up.

 

“I must look at it again.”

 

And so, she quickly held her mouse and clicked the folder on the taskbar. With a fast speed, she then clicked on the video.

 

“That man…”

 

Sera watched the video attentively, up until she spotted a man in his black attire from head to toe was walking at the dark street alone.

 

“It’s him,” Sera wailed out. “But I can’t see his face so far.”

 

Then, she clicked on the ‘Forward’ button until she found that the man was actually walking over the street from opposite direction. And that’s when he started to face the camera.

 

‘Pause’ button been clicked. And Sera once again gasped in terror.

 

“It’s him. It’s him,” Sera continuously said it like a mantra as her hand swiftly look for a file among a stack of files on her table. She glanced over towards the files and to her computer screen back and forth as if she didn’t want the man’s image to vanish.

 

TAK

 

“Found it!” Sera exclaimed in delight. She quickly opened up her file and flipped over the papers until she found a profile.

 

And her eyes looked to a picture. Then, she shifted her gazes to the screen.

 

“Choi Sunwoo.”

 

TOK TOK

 

“Miss Yoo Sera?”

 

Sera swiftly averted her eyes towards the doorway. “Mr. Ji.”

 

“Didn’t I tell you before to just call me Changwook?” Changwook pouted. “Besides, we had known each other so long enough since college, why don’t you call me just by name?”

 

“You’re my senior at that time, Mr. Ji-“

 

“Changwook.”

 

“Okay, Changwook sshi,” Sera sighed in defeat. She knows him; as a person that wouldn’t easily lose when it comes to mouth fights, she had to at least, do as he said. Or else, they won’t stop bickering about it up until the next day. “Aish. This is too weird.”

 

“Weird? Is it because of my name?” Changwook raised a brow as he took his seat across Sera.

 

Sera shook her head. “No. It just that you’re my boss, and I’m one of your co-workers – it’s quite inappropriate to call you by name.”

 

“I’m the one who will say whether it’s appropriate for you to call me by my name or not,” Changwook calmly stated his point with his stern face. But in seconds later, he quickly changed back to his usual friendly-self. “Anyway, how was your case so far? I heard that Mr. Choi Sunwoo had been arrested again.”

 

“Hard,” There’s only one word that Sera could say about Sunwoo’s case and yet, she was saying it to Changwook. “But I’m kind of like it.”

 

“Yah!” Changwook flicked Sera’s forehead. “I’m asking you for real, Yoo Sera sshi. Is it really hard for you alone to handle this case? If it is, I will form a team-“

 

“No need to,” Sera cut Changwook’s sentences. “I can handle it all by myself.”

 

“For real?” Changwook asked. Sera nodded. He lightly sighed. “Okay then. But if you need help in the future, you know that you can always turn to me, right?”

 

Sera nodded again this time with a smile. “Yes, I know.”

 

“So, I want to know your findings in this case, Miss-Can-Do-Anything-All-By-Herself?”

 

“Ji Changwook!” Sera softly hit his hand before her smile faltered as soon as her eyes met ‘Sunwoo’ face on her screen. “Changwook sshi, look at this.”

 

Sera motioned Changwook to simply go beside her and look at the image of the man on her screen and also the picture of Sunwoo inside her file. Changwook automatically raised his eyebrows when he saw both of the same visages.

 

“Twins, maybe?”

 

Sera shook her head. “Mr. Choi Sunwoo doesn’t have any twin. I’m sure you know that already since you befriended with his brother.”

 

“Yes, that’s right,” Changwook swallowed. It’s true that he know almost everything about Jinhyuk and his only brother and family left, Choi Sunwoo. He knows better than anyone else that Sunwoo was the only brother that Jinhyuk had. “So, is this man is really Choi Sunwoo?”

 

“He denied that this man was him,” Sera looked closely to the image on the screen. “And it looks like he was actually telling the truth as he had his own alibi to prove that he wasn’t in the street at that particular time.”

 

“Then,” Changwook shifted his gaze to Sera. “How can he still be arrested?”

 

“His alibi was not that strong, as there was only one person that can prove him was inside his office; and the alibi itself wasn’t saw him in person, but he just made an assumption based on Sunwoo’s room that was still illuminated with light.”

 

“Late at night, isn’t it?” Changwook asked. Sera nodded as an answer for it. “No wonder that he could make such an assumption of Sunwoo could possibly do overtime in that day.”

 

“Still, an assumption is just an assumption,” Sera weakly stated. “And it could possibly prove us wrong.”

 

“The possibility was there,” Changwook sighed. “But as he denied it and he didn’t even have any twin, how can we called this person as?”

 

Sera shook her head in despair. She was speechless as she didn’t know how or what could be the answer to Changwook’s question.

 

Meanwhile as for Changwook, he stared towards the image and the picture back and forth before he suddenly came up with an idea. “You see, have you heard once about a myth of another self that you had never known about its existence?”

 

Sera eyed Changwook in awe. “Do you possibly mean…doppelganger?”

 

“Yes, doppelganger,” Changwook nodded. “Maybe Sunwoo have his doppelganger.”

 

“But it just a myth; and we couldn’t easily rely on this point to prove his innocence.”

 

“I know, and I don’t even say it to be used to prove his innocence,” Changwook stated his stance. “It just for us to think and maybe find a suitable solution for this case despite the complicated situation that engulfed us right now.”

 

Sera slowly pressed her back to her chair and closed her eyes to think about Changwook’s point into this case. She should try every possibility that she had, at least, so that she could help Sunwoo.

 

“Please help me.”

 

Sera opened her eyes. She could still remember Sunwoo’s sentences that hoped for her to save him.

 

And she shouldn’t let him down.

 

“If the myth is turned out to be true,” Sera looked towards Changwook with new determination in her eyes.

 

“I will find and capture the doppelganger with my hands.”

 

 

Petite's Note : The unknown person was now revealed! It's Kim Minsu! And...Ji Changwook had already made his first appearance in the story in this chapter :) Do you get the characters so far? I hope that you'll patiently wait for the other characters left to be revealed~

Personally, I really love to write about brothers' love between Sunwoo and Jinhyuk as I want to deliver the message of their love towards each other in the most suitable ways for you to actually see both of them as a loving brothers. But, it never meant that I didn't love the other characters as at the same time, I'm also trying my best to enhance my writing techniques to give more precise imagination in your head for the situation that revolves around all of them :)

So, as for the story : Doppelganger. A word that becomes a total catastrophe in Sunwoo's life. Meanwhile for Dabin, it's all about faith and trust. The trust that he gave to Inhyoung before became meaningless, as soon as he know the truth about Inhyoung's past. Could they accept to the new things and changes that existed in their life? Stay tuned for the next chapter~

Song recommended for this chapter is 'Shadow' by The Legend. (I don't know why, but I really thought that the song's tempo suits this chapter the most ^^)

 

Words count : 2, 898