Song 2

The Time I Loved You

[Later that day...]

 
 
"Hyung, just let it go. Besides, everyone likes how you look today." Kyuhyun smirked.
 
"Just don't be so hard on the girl, okay?" Ryeowook tapped my shoulder.
 
"Girl? What girl?"
 
"..." I remained silent.
 
"The freshman who spilled coffee on him is in your class, pabo!" Ryeowook flicked Kyu's forehead.
 
"Ouch!"
 
 
The 2 kept on bickering and I just kept my head low for some time without saying anything. Honestly, I'm not that mad about it anymore. Something else has been bothering me today.
 
 
"Hyung, you're spacing out again!"
 
"Mian... I just-" I took a deep breath. "Mira sent me a text message."
 
"Y-your ex?"
 
"Mmm..." I nodded.
 
"What did she say?"
 
 
'Jongwoon-ah, how are you now? My family is going back to Korea. I guess we'll be seeing each other more often now. I miss you.'
 
 
"It's nothing." I lied as her words played in my head over and over again.
 

 

 
There he is!
 
 
"Yesung-ssi! Yesung-ssi!" I shouted but he didn't hear, or maybe he was pretending not to.
 
 
I decided to run to him and I still seem invisible. I guess his thoughts are drifting somewhere else?
 
 
"Annyeong!"
 
"Ga! You startled me!" He exclaimed. "You again?"
 
"I get the fact that you're not going to let me off the hook easily but I just want you to know that my apologies are sincere. Besides, you should have looked where you were going too right?"
 
"Aish..."
 
"I'm really saying the truth." I pleaded.
 
"Just get out of my sight right now! Palli!" He pushed me and walked away.
 
 
Yah! I already apologized! Do you think so highly of your self like that? Just because you're a senior doesn't mean you can treat your hoobaes like trash! You PABO!
 
 
I will make you see later why I got accepted in this school. I will make sure that you'll be impressed by me.
 

 

 
"Okay class, today will be your very first evaluation. Your performance will be graded and based on this, you will get a chance to represent your class and perform in the annual Music Fest. Please do your best."
 
 
My heart was burning with determination as I eyed an enthusiastic Ryeowook and bored Yesung in front of us. I'm gonna show all of you my talent.
 
 
"First up, Ms. Kim Sohee."
 
 
I thought it was going to be easy, but I thought wrongly. He really is a monster. Ryeowook played the accompaniment perfectly but it wasn't enough to cover everyone's lapses in Yesung's ears.
 
 
"The whole song sounded so flat. Are you sure you took voice lessons? My ears hurt." He gave his opinion - or shall I say insulted her - in front of the whole class. "Next."
 
 
"Let's give Mr. Lee Monsuk a round of applause."
 
 
Right after the song ended...
 
 
"My applause wasn't worth it at all. Your runs are pointless. You throw them when unnecessary and sound so plain when you need them."
"Next!"
 
 
It happened again and again. Each small flaw was pointed out by him and he never missed a single one. It seemed as if he had the ears of an immortal.
 
 
He saw the mistakes precisely but was completely oblivious to the positive things that made the performance work. He should see the good things too, rather than just insulting everyone in front of everyone. It makes me want to puke.
 
 
"Last but not least, we have Ms. Joo Haejin."
 
 
I took a deep breath and silently encouraged myself. I thought of everyone back home who cheered for me. I thought about all the sacrifices my old dad has made for me to reach all of this. There's no turning back.
 
"What are you going to sing, Miss?"
"I'm going to sing an english song entitled "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum. Please enjoy it."
 
 
"Picture perfect memories scattered all around the floor.
Reaching for the phone 'cause I can't fight it anymore.
 
And I wonder if I ever cross your mind?
For me it happens all the time.
 
It's a quarter after one, I'm all alone and I need you now.
Said I wouldn't call but I've lost all control and I need you now.
And I don't know how I can do without.
I just need you now.
 
Another shot of whiskey, can't stop looking at the door.
Wishing you'd come sweeping in the way you did before.
 
And I wonder if I ever cross your mind?
For me it happens all the time.
 
It's a quarter after one, I'm a little drunk and I need you now.
Said I wouldn't call but I've lost all control and I need you now.
And I don't know how I can do without.
I just need you now.
 
Oh, whoa
Guess I'd rather hurt than feel nothing at all.
 
It's a quarter after one, I'm all alone and I need you now.
And I said I wouldn't call but I'm a little drunk and I need you now.
And I don't know how I can do without.
I just need you now
I just need you now.
Oh, baby, I need you now."
 
~
 
"Jongwoon-ah, we've known each other since kindergarten, right?"
 
"Ne..." I intertwined her fingers with mine. "Wae?"
 
"I was offered a scholarship to study music in the US."
 
"And?"
 
"My parents want me to take it."
 
"But we promised each other that we'll fulfill our dreams together. Here."
 
"Jongwoon, it's very important to me and my family."
 
"But I need you here with me."
 
"C'mon Jongwoon, let's be realistic. We made that promise 8 years ago."
 
"And we're in highschool now. It's just a matter of time."
 
"When will that time be?"
 
"Mira-ya, jebal."
 
 
"Yesung-ssi..."
 
"Yesung-ah!"
 
"W-wae?"
 
"What do you think about Haejin's performance?"
 
"It was...alright."
 
I couldn't hold back the tears that only threatened to fall a while ago. They have almost the same voice, but I guess it's still different after all. It wasn't small but sweet, not overpowering but soulful.
 
I walked out of the classroom just fast enough so no one will see me crying.
 

 

 
"Bravo! What a wonderful performance! But I think it will be a stronger song if performed as a duet." 
 
 
That's right. It's supposed to be sang as a duet. It can be sang along too, though.
 
That idiot! Who does he think he is to just walk away like that? I guess he walked away because he has nothing negative to say about my performance, huh? Maybe he can't accept his defeat. Serves him right.
 
"Our top performers are Kim Hanbyul, Lee Monsuk, Sang Yoonji and Joo Haejin!"
 
"Congrats!"
 
"Chukahaeyo."
 
"Congratulations."
 
"But there's a twist!" Seonsaengnim announced and everyone gasped in the most dramatic way. "The freshman students are assigned with a duet and group performance."
 
 
Soon enough, the whole classroom was filled with gossips and murmurs. Seonsaengnim only chose four best singers, then who's going to do a duet with who?
 
 
"One of you must participate in a duet with Jongwoon-ssi."