Song 1

The Time I Loved You

[March 4, 2001]

 

*rring rring*

 

"Yoboseyo?"

"Hyung? Where are you?"

"I just woke up because of you, wae?!"

"Hyung, the guards are not letting us in."

"Of course they won't it's still 5AM. Are you crazy?"

"We're just excited."

"What do you mean 'we'?" Another voice can be heard from the phone. "Only the freshman is excited."

"Well, the gates will be open if you can wait for another 15 minutes Kyuhyun. Thanks for interrupting my precious sleep."

"Oh, I forgot that old people need plenty of sleep."

"Ya, what did you just say?!"

"Then get up and be here already!"

"Arrasso, arrasso. You'll never let me go with this one, huh? Just give me an 30 minutes." I hung up on them.

 

I got up quickly and took a shower, brushed my teeth and went to school. Looks like somebody is excited for the first day of school and apparently that someone just woke me up 5 o'clock in the morning. What more can I ask for?

Just as I thought my day has gone bad, it just got worse. Upon arriving, I couldn't possibly expect what was going to happen.

 

"Ryeowook-ah, where are you guys? I just arrived and- AISH!"

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!"

"Can't you see where you're going? I only have a t-shirt to wear!"

"I'm really sorry, Mr....Kim." She mumbled after looking at my name tag while wiping tissues all over my coffee-stained uniform.

"So you're a freshman huh? Aish, just forget this ever happened."

"I'm really sorry! I-" I walked away before she can even say a word.

 

I ran to the restroom to wash my hands and uniform. I have no choice but to take it off and wear black t-shirt and jeans today...what luck. At least it's still early, almost no one else saw what happened.

 

"Hyung, are you trying to impress someone?"

"Stop pissing me off, will you?"

"Sit down and eat, then tell us what happened."

 

Wookie, Kyu and I sat on our 'claimed' table at the cafeteria and I told them everything that happened. Of course, Kyuhyun laughed at me and my miserable luck and Wook advised to just let it go.

 

"Don't you like it? You'll be wearing comfortable clothes today?"

"During the first day of school? You've got to be kidding me."

"Well, you said that girl is a freshman too, right?"

"Ye, waeyo?"

"She must be so scared to death right now, spilling coffee on a senior during the first day of school."

"Whatever. I don't think she'll last long anyway."

 


 

I really feel sorry towards that sunbae, I really do. But he didn't give me a chance to explain. How rude. 

Whatever, Haejin. It's just the start of the day. Don't let anybody get you down. Remember how you worked so hard for this. Fighting!

 

"Miss Joo?"

"N-ne, seonsaengnim?"

"It's your turn to introduce yourself."

"Mmm." I quickly stood up from my seat and went to the front confidently. "Annyeonghaseyo, Joo Haejin imnida. I look forward to working with you all." I bowed and went back to my seat.

"Since most of you picked voice and piano as a major, 2 of the best students from the whole music department will be assigned to this class for this school year." everyone cheered at the thought of having seniors to guide us. "The both of you may come in."

"Annyeong haseyo, Ryeowook imnida. I'm a sophomore and piano major. Nice to meet you all."

 

The guy looked harmless and kind and he smiled at everyone which made me feel at ease. Maybe this school year won't be so bad at all.

 

"Jongwoon-ssi, you may come in now."

"Annyeong haseyo, Jongwoon imnida. You can call me Yesung. I am a senior and voice major. Yesung means 'art-like' voice."

 

Omo, isn't it that guy from earlier?! I'm totally screwed!

 

"Jongwoon-ssi, why aren't you wearing your uniform today?"

"I was supposed to, but then some girl spilled coffee on it and I had no other options." He looked at me directly and I quickly averted his gaze.

"I see. Well, accidents happen. Guys, these are your sunbaes. I hope you can learn a thing or two from them."

 

He glared at me intensely while making his way to his seat which is just behind me. I could feel his glare even If I can't see him. If looks can kill, I would've died a million times now.

 

"Hey, do you know them?"

"aniyo...but they look dreamy!"

"Snap out of it. Ryeowook is a nice guy but do you know what they say about Yesung?"

"Mwo? What do they say?"

"He's the strict, gloomy wierdo who won't let you get away with one wrong note. He's scary."

"And he talks to his pet turtles!"

"We're so unlucky!"

"At least he's handsome."

"What's all that noise?"

"Nothing!" All the girls who were talking just now got scolded.

 

I glanced at Yesung from time to time and all he did was look down and clean his nails. The more I stared, the more I found his eyes to be beautiful and perfectly detailed like those in a manga. You can definitely see his well-built body through that thin shirt too.

 

"Is there dirt on my face?"

"N-ne?"

"I said, is there dirt on my face?"

"A-aniyo. There's a-absolutely nothing."

"Then why do you keep staring?"

"Hyung! That's no way to treat a lady!" Ryeowook reprimanded our sunbae. "Mianhae, Haejin-ssi. He just had a bad day, that's all."

"Naega..." I gulped. "I'm the one who s-spilled coffee on him."

"Oh." Ryeowook was at loss of words.

"Mianhaeyo. Jeongmal mianhaeyo." I smiled apologetically.

 

"Okay class, by the end of the day  you have to sing in front of everyone including your sunbaes. This will be your first activity and we will be choosing performers for the Annual Music Fest of the school next month based on your performance. I hope you do your best. You are dismissed."

 

This is going to be a long day....