Chapter Two: Better Than Nate Archibald

Loving You

The next morning Stephanie found herself covered in her favorite pink blanket. After she had had her first fight with her ‘husband’, she decided to sleep on the couch.

She couldn’t remember when or how the blanket could got there so she believed it was another Nichkhun’s act of kindness. “ I thought you would be mean to me after our fight,” she smiled bitterly.

Last night she was so confused. Blame her hormones. She knew she wasn’t ready to be a mother or even a wife yet she kept the baby and become a married woman.

“I’m so sorry, baby,” she apologized to her unborn baby while softly rubbing her tummy. She was in her deep regret.

She didn’t hate Nichkhun, not at all . Nichkhun was a great boyfriend. He’s handsome, romantic, attentive, had a stable job, from a nice family and the most important thing,  he loved her.

He could be so clingy, protective, righteous and sensitive. Those traits often annoy her but it’s still tolerable. In the end he always let her win and followed whatever she asked him to do.

She knew he’s still in love with her eventhough she had ended their relationship. Maybe that’s why the first name who came up on her mind when her parents asked her who’s the father of her child was his name.

====

Flashback

====

10 Years Ago

First time she met him was when she was in her 10th grade. Back then, he was just a new transferred student from Thailand. His korean was really horible. The teacher asked him to sit beside her since she could speak in english fluently. His english wasn’t perfect but it’s way better than his korean.

Nichkhun was a shy boy. For the first week, he didn’t dare to look at her eyes when she talked to him. It’s a good thing that she had a bubbly personality. Slowly, he started to get out from his shell. She was surprised knowing that he was older by two years than her age, thanks to his baby face, and he’s quite funny.

In short, they become close friends.

She tought he was gay cause he never had a girlfriend throughout their senior highschool years.   He had some dates but he never asked them to be his girlfriend.  ‘They didn’t make me feel comfortable’ was his ultimate excuse. However, the real reason why he stayed single back then was her.

====

5 Years Ago

Nichkhun and Stephanie were having a Gossip Girl marathon in his apartment. Jessica was supposed to join them but she canceled it in the last minute.

“Ahhhhhhh, Nate is so handsome. I wish I had a boyfriend like him,” said a 20 years old Stephanie while munching her popcorns.

“Are you sure? Last time I checked your last boyfriend was Choi –Si-Won, the most handsome guy in your faculty, and you dumped him because you felt so insecure,”

She glared at him.

“I’m glad though, I don’t think he deserved you. He had a bad reputation afterall,” said Khun nonchalantly.

“Then why did you let him to be my boyfriend?”

“Because he made you happy. You had that sparkly things in your eyes when you talked about him. It made you look so breathakingly pretty,” Khun shifted his attention from the show to the girl who sit next to him.

“Did you just flirt on me? Aweeee, Khunnie’s now a big boy who knows how to flirt. Should I feel worried?” she poked his cheeks repeatedly.

Suddenly, she felt his lips on hers.

She was so shocked to react. After few seconds she pushed him.

He stared at her lovingly.

“I won’t apologize for what I just did,” He was tired to hide his feeling towards her.

“...”

“Be my girlfriend? I could make you happy,” asked Khun.

“...”

“You don’t have to answer it now but I hope you will give me a chance,”

“...”

“Steph?”

“I’m sorry I can’t accept you. I don’t want to lose my bestfriend, Khun. How could you be so selfish?” Stephanie tried to avoid his eyes.

“I’m sorry for being selfish,” he sighed heavily, feeling disappointed.

“...”

“ Let’s continue watching this series. I think Chuck Bass is more attractive than Nate by the way,” he opened a can of cola to distract his broken heart.

“I’m sorry,” she wasn’t sure whether it was for Khun or herself.

“Nah, I’ve expected it. At least you didn’t slap me and we’re still able to continue watching this girly show. Blair Waldorf is so hot in her lingerie,” he tried to make a joke.

“...”

“Anyway, Iloveyou,”

She jabbed him lightly in his stomach with her hand.

“You couldn’t say that you love me after gawking over some random girl,”

“Blair Waldorf is not ‘some random girl’,” he made a quote gesture playfully.

He stared  at the girl who already  had her attention back to the television.

“ Finally I’m able to say those three words to you. I feel liberated,” After awhile, he followed her.

 “You’re always be my bestfriend Khun. Scoot! I’m sleepy,” she patted his tights.

Khun shifted his and gave her more space to lay her body. She made his tight as her pillow and  Khun caressed her hair lovingly till she closed her eyes.

====

Although Stephanie  had rejected him, she couldn’t help seeing him in a different light. She ‘s more attentive to what he did for her.  She started to feel jealous when a random girl flirted on him and ,unconciously,she initiated more skinship. She gave him random hugs, random kisses on his cheeks. When they’re walking hand in hand, she made sure that their  fingers intertwined.

She couldn’t deny that she finally felt tons of butterflies flying on her stomach when he touched her skin.

As for him, nothing changed. He still treated her as his queen despite her rejection.

He realized that she had changed for the past two weeks after his confession. Too bad, he didn’t want to confirm anything. He was too afraid ruining what they already had.

====

They officially started their relationship a week before  his 22nd birthday.

It just happened.

They were studying together in their campus library preparing for the final exam. Suddenly, there was a guy tapping on Stephanie’s right shoulder.

“H’i Hwang. Didn’t know you’re such a nerd,” teased Key whom Stephanie met in her classmate’s birthday party last weekend.

Both Stephanie and Nichkhun were wearing their glasses at that time.

“Key! How are you? It takes one to know one you know,”

Khun smiled looking at the way she greeted Key loudly.

“Ssst.. we’re in the library Steph,” Khun reminded her.

“You need to listen to him Steph. So who’s this cutie? He doesn’t seem from your major Hon,” asked Key sassily  looking at bunch of Khun’s financial books.

“Stay away from him Key. He’s mine,” answered Stephanie cooly.

“Oh, you’re taken.  I thought you’re a single lady. I mean judging from the way you danced with some hunks at the party last week. So hot,” Key fanned his face with his hands.

Hearing that Khun gritted his teeth.

“Well, now you know that I’m off the market babe,” Stephanie gave her eyesmile to Key.

“Kyaaa, you two look so good together. Gotta catch my next class. Bye hon,”

After Key had left, Khun cleared his throat.

“Ehem..”

“Do you need some water? Here takes mine” She offered her personal water bottle to Khun.

 “No, thanks”

“Ok then,”

“Ehem..”

“Are you sure you’re ok? I think I have some Fisherman’s inside my bag pocket,” she grabbed her bag.

“Ehem...sooooooo...... I’myourboyfriend.” Khun talked so fast.

His eyes were still on thepage  in front of him but his mind obviously wasn’t.

“Huh? Can you repeat it? You talked so fast,”

“Hmm, am I your boyfriend?” he shyly asked.

She found him so cute.

“You’re a boy and you’re my friend. So yeah you’re my boy friend and not my girl friend,” teased Stephanie.

“Haha funny,” he pouted unconsciously.

“Don’t pout. I said you’re mine and I’m off the market,” she poked his cheeks repeatedly.

“Uhm.. are you sure? You’re not joking, right?” asked Khun hesitantly. At that moment, he searched something in her eyes.

“What do you think?,” she gave him a wink.

Stephanie’s attention back to the garments bible in front of her.

He couldn’t hide his happiness.

“Thank you. I promise I would make you happy, better than Nate Archibald ever could,” whispered Khun on her left ear before he kissed her left cheek briefly.

“Yeah, you should. I will dump you if I find my bestfriend treated me better than my boyfriend,” she couldn’t help smiling.

“My GIRLFRIEND is so scary,” Khun reached her left hand then intertwined their fingers.

====

End of Flashback

====

 

++++