Chapter Seven: The Rumor Has It

Loving You

Stephanie was busy studying next season couture lines on her desk. She was so determined to make sure her pregnancy wouldn’t affect her work.

Suddenly she heard a ‘beep’ sound coming from her phone. It was a text from Sunny asking about her husband whereabout.

Sunny: ‘Steph, where is your husband?’

Stephanie: ‘He went to Hongkong yesterday. What’s up?’

Sunny: ‘You need to check this link out www.dispatch.co.kr/08042015/im-yoona-got-a-new-boyfriend.html’

Stephanie: ‘Why should I care about Im Yoona’s private life?’

Sunny: ‘Because her new boyfriend maybe your husband!’

Sunny last text made her curious so she opened the link. The title was ‘Im Yoona Got a New Boyfriend? Has She Found Lee Seung Gi Replacement?’. The article told that Yoona was spotted having dinner together with a handsome man in a fancy restaurant in Hongkong. The atmosphere was intimate and she laughed a lot.

The first picture was taken secretly only shown yoona face while laughing happily facing a man who wore a business suit. They were seating opposite of each other and a bottle of red wine could be seen on their table.

The second picture was when Yoona and the mysterious man stepped out from the restaurant with Yoona wearing his jacket suit leaving him with his pink collared shirt and his blue tie. Being a gentleman, he opened the door for her and let her stepped out first.

The third picture was when he opened the car door for her.

The face of the mysterious man was slightly blurred but people still could see that he’s a handsome man.

Stephanie knew exactly that the man was her husband. She was the one who picked the pink collared shirt for him when he was packing his stuffs.

I don’t think he would cheat behind my back. It’s just so not him. I need to call him to hear his explanation first so when people start noticing the news I know how to react.

Just when she’s about to dial Nichkhun, Park Gyuri her y co-workers start making a fuss about the article. She approached Stephanie's desk.

“Stephanie, is he your husband?” Gyuri showed her phone to Stephanie.

“Your job must be done cause you have time to read a random gossip article.”

“I take that as a yes. Oh poor you, how could your husband cheats behind your back. You’re pregnant for god sake.” Gyuri’s fake sympathy tone made Stephanie wanted to puke.

“She’s his client, there’s nothing wrong with having dinner with a client.” Stephanie tried to defend his husband to safe her own dignity in front of her co-worker.

“But they look so intimate here, he even let Im Yoona wore his jacket suit.”

“Stop it Gyuri. It’s none of your business.”

“I just care about you, Steph.”

“What happened?” Hani whose desk was next to Stephanie was curious too.

“Look at this, it’s Nichkhun, Stephanie’s husband right?”

“Oh My God! Did he really cheat on you with Im Yoona?” Different with Gyuri, Hani was truly concern.

“He didn’t cheat on me. It’s just a trashy article. I believe you still have other things to do instead of bothering me, Gyuri.”

“Tsk. I’m not suprised if he really got another woman cause everybody knows that you aren’t carrying his baby and I don’t know what he did to make someone like Im Yoona wants to be his mistress .” Gyuri left Stephanie’s desk just to spread the news to the other co-workers.

Stephanie sighed.

“What a ! Don’t worry Steph, I believe you. Have you talked to your husband?” Hani tried to console Stephanie.

“I was about to dial him but Gyuri interupted me.”

She then tried several times to dial him again but he didn’t pick up. Meanwhile, there’s another text from Sunny.

Sunny: ‘Have  you opened the link?’

Stephanie:’Yeah’

Sunny:’Are you okay?’

Stephanie:’He didn’t cheat on me Soonkyu. How long did you know him?’

Sunny:’But your  relationship is weird and it’s Im Yoona we’re talking about.’

Stephanie:’Yah! I don’t care if it’s Im Yoona. He didn’t cheat on me.’

Sunny:’Ok, as you said so. But if he really cheat on you let me help you chopping his .’

Stephanie:’I know that you just want to peak his anaconda. Now shoo let me finish my job.’

Sunny: ‘=p’

====

It was 2pm. Nichkhun was on his way to the airport, couldn’t wait to meet his wife. He’s so tired since he had meetings with some clients. He checked his phone and saw 8 misscalled from his wife, 3 misscalled from Im Yoona and 5 misscalled from Kang Gary, her manager.

Looking at the number of misscalled from Stephanie he got worried. He scolded himself for letting his phone in silent mode for too long.

He dialed Stephanie’s number and in the second ring she picked up her phone.

“Hello, Steph?”

“Yah! Why didn’t you take my calls earlier?”

“I’m sorry I was in a meeting. Is the baby ok?”

“The baby is ok but not his mother. Where were you last night?”

“Oh I had dinner with Im Yoona. I accidentally met her in our hotel lobby when I was on my way to get some dinner. Turned out we’re heading to the same restaurant.”

“Was it necessary for you to lend her your suit?”

“Oh, she was... wait how did you know that I lent her my suit lastnight?”

“Your pictures with her are all over the internet. The article said that you’re her new boyfriend.”

“What? You’re joking aren’t you?”

“Go check it by yourself if you don’t believe me.”

“Ok, ok I believe you. I think she and her manager have tried to contact me.”

“Can you ask her to clarify the rumor as soon as possible? How could her agency let the news going around for hours without clarifying it. I’m tired defending you in front of our family and my colleagues. “

“Ok, let me check the article then I’ll contact her. You know there’s nothing between me and her, right?”

“I don’t care if you have a special relationship with her but since we’re married what you did with her affects me and our family. Your mom just called me and I have to console her that her son wouldn’t do shameful act. Next time please keep your affair secretly.”

“But I don’t have any affair with her, she’s just my client.”

“Whatever.”

Stephanie ended the call.

“Steph? Steph?”

“Sir, we’ve arrived.”

Nichkhun took a look at his watch,he only got 15 minutes to catch his flight.

“Thanks”

He ran to the boarding gate which was already opened. He gave his boarding pass to the stewardess while reading the news on his phone. Suddenly his phone rang, Yoona called him.

“Khun-ssi? I tried to contact you few hours ago it’s about some gossip articles about us.”

“I saw it already. Why your agency hasn’t give any statement yet?“

“We’re releasing our statement as we speak. I just heard the news less than an hour ago from my manager. I forgot to charge my phone.”

“It’s ok.”

“I’m deeply sorry. How’s your wife?”

“Don’t worry. She knows that we’re just friends.”

“Oh thanks God. I don’t want her to misunderstand us.”

“ Sir, you need to turn off your phone the plane is going to take off soon.” Said a stewardess who was gently tapping his shoulder. He gave an okay sign to her.

“Anyway, my flight is going to take off soon.”

“Let’s have dinner with your wife once I get back to Seoul.”

“It’s a great idea. Talk to you later,bye.”

====

It  was around midnight when he reached his apartment. The lamps in the living room were off so he thought his wive was sleeping.

He entered his shared bedroom quietly. The image of Stephanie leaning her back againts the headboards beatifully while reading some fashion articles from her ipad welcomed him.

She didn’t greet him. She’s still pissed off  because of the gossip article.

“Hi, boo. I miss you.”

He dropped his luggage then approched her.

“Oh, you’re back. Done with your affair?” She said it nonchalantly. Her eyes were on the article that she was reading.

He sighed.

“Her agency has released their statement. It was just a misunderstanding. I lent her my suit because a clumsy waiter accidentaly spilled a glass of water on her back.”

“I know, I’ve read their statement.”

Stephanie put her ipad on the table then arranged her pillow, ready to sleep.

"Aren’t you mad?”

She let him holding her hands.

“Why should I? I don’t mind actually if you have an affair with someone who loves you but let me know beforehand so I know how to react properly and please do it secretly for the sake of your mother.”

He frowned.

“You should have known me better. I don’t have any affair with Im Yoona stop saying it like I really cheated on you.”

“At first I believe that you wouldn’t do that but then I realize if there’s nothing between you two why didn’t you tell me that you met her and had a dinner together.”

“I’ve told you about that. I have nothing to hide.”

“You told me because I asked you. If I didn’t ask you wouldn’t have told me about that.”

“Because it’s not important. Do you always inform me if you have a dinner with your client or friend?”

“No, I don’t but not you cause you used to tell me everything without I need to ask. You always text me where you are, whom you’re with, and what you do. Well, at least before our marriage. So I don’t know why you didn’t tell me about your meeting with her and you didn’t even call me nor text me last night.”

“I didn’t call you because I want you to call me first. I know it’s silly but I want to be missed by you. Taecyeon said I was so whipped till you took me for granted.”

“I didnt..” She tried to cut him.

“Let me finish it first. Don’t be misunderstood, I don’t mind if you take me for granted but i think i need to learn to let you learn to love me again. I mean, for me, our marriage is my second chance to get what I’ve lost back then. So I tried to copy what you usually do because I thought that’s what you expect me to do.  I’ve said that I’ll let you go if you find someone whom you truly love but I hope that person is me. I know I’m pathetic but that’s what I feel about you.”

She was touched by his confession.

“I think my plan was failed cause it makes me realize that you value my love lightly and it’s easy for you to let me go.”

He smiled bitterly then loosen his gripped on her fingers.

“ I’m stink. I’m going to take a shower don’t wait for me.”

Stephanie lost her words because he’s right. She was mad not because she’s jealous with Im Yoona but because the articles made her look bad for being unable to keep her husband in front of her colleagues who were gossiping behind her back.

She was mad because she had to console their family too. She didn’t like to make them worried.  If Sunny didn’t inform her about the article she wouldn’t be bothered to call him.

15 minutes later Khun joined her by laying on their bed.

Just before he closed his eyes Stephanie closed the distance between their bodies by hugging him.

“Khun?”

“Hmmm?”

“I’m sorry for saying what I’ve said and makes you feel as if you’re unworthy for me. You are someone whom I treasure. I let you go because I want you to be happy with someone who loves you. You will do the same thing for me, won’t you?”

He nodded.

“I will give a chance to myself for learning how to love you again. Just be yourself, there’s reason why you’re my bestfriend and we had our relationship for years. So just be yourself and let me learn to love you again, okay?”

“Okay.”

She searched for his lips and kissed him gently.

“I missed you.” Said Stephanie after she had released his lips.

He smiled then let her snuggle onto his body comfortably.

+++