Chapter Five: The Lucky B*tch

Loving You

“Have you had your breakfast?”  asked Nichkhun to the person in the other line. He was busy preparing his presentation for his next meeting.

His new client, Im Yoona, was known as a celebrity who had just gotten divorced. She was cheated by his husband Lee Seunggi who made her senior in the industry three months pregnant. The ending of their relationship became a national drama since they were a  popular couple. Nobody expected that Seuggi would dare to cheat on a national goddess because he often declared his love  towards her publicly.

Since her ex-husband was the CEO of Lee Enterprises, she got a huge amount of money after the settlement. If it’s not because she’s a big fish his boss would have assigned his junior as the company representative.

“I’m having one as we speaking. Thanks for the omelette anyway.  Why didn’t you wake me up?” said Stephanie while pouring milk into her glass.

“I don’t want to deal with a grumpy Stepho,” he chuckled.

“Haha that’s funny.,” said Stephanie flatly as a sign of protest.

“Are you ok? No morning sickness? I read that the first trimester of a pregnant woman will be horrible.”

“I’m good, my baby is being nice.” Unconciously she rubbed her stomach lovingly.

“I’m glad to hear that.”

He couldn’t help smiling, feeling grateful.

“Is it true that your company will handle Im Yoona’s account?”

“Huh?” He was surprised by Stephanie’s question.

“Im Yoona? The celebrity who just got recently divorced?”

“How did you know that we will have a meeting with her?”

“News traveled fast. Sunny just called me. She asked if I can get her a meeting with Im Yoona a.s.a.p. Apparently our company want to hire her as our exclusive model for our F/W line but her manager scheduled their meeting for next month. Sunny was afraid that Yoona would be booked already by YG or Cube by that time. Since she knows that Yoona will meet you, she beg me to ask you if you can introduce her to Yoona.”

Sunny was Stephanie’s close friend slash co-worker. Stephanie worked in the haute couture division which targeted high class fashionista who’s willing to throw thousand of dollar for a simple dress while Sunny work in retail division that aim mass market.

“I haven’t met Yoona yet, but I will try to help her.”

“She’s pretty and nice.”

“You’ve met her in person?”

“I just saw her in some events.”

“Are you jealous Steph? Since, you know, she’s pretty and nice and oh she’s single too.” tease Khun while checking some data.

“I won’t mind if you woo her. People will understand if you left me because of her,” she laughed.

“Now, that’s not funny.” He wasn’t feeling amused and she sensed it.

“Uhm, don’t forget to behave, don’t do anything funny behind my back.” She knew that he likes it when she acts possesive towards him. Somehow she felt bad because she couldn’t say it sincerely.

“That makes me feel better. Ok, I have to meet her in ten minutes. Tell Sunny I will try to arrange the time. Don’t work too hard, remember that you’re carrying our baby. Do you want me to pick you up from your office later? ”

“Nah, it’s ok. I can get a taxi later.”

“I insist besides we need to do groceries shopping. Don’t know why but I’m craving for some pickles.”

Stephanie was laughing hearing his last statement.

“Are you sure you’re not the one who’s pregnant here?”

“Just call or text me later, ok? It’s gonna be our first groceries shopping as husband and wife.”

“Ok.”

“Bye, love you.” He ended their phone call without waiting for her reply.

====

“I don’t want to invest in a well-established company. They don’t need my help financially. I want you to help me putting my money on the emerging ones owned by young people who are struggling financially, those which are not interesting for majority investors but still have the potential to grow.”

Yoona cut Nichkhun presentation in the middle.

“But the risk of losing your money would be higher Ms. Im”

“I don’t care about the risk. For me those money meant nothing but for some people it might help them to reach their dream, besides as i’ve told you any gain from my investment will be transfered for charity. I’ve made enough for myself. Can you give me the list by next week?”

Nichkhun couldn’t help admiring the pretty and humble woman in front of him. This woman just got US$ 503 millions on her account. Usually, newbie investors would play safe and greedily beg him to put their money on big and profitable company but not this woman. She said she’s willing to donate half of it to some foundations all over korea, and trust the remain half to his company to be managed.

“I see. I’ll give you the list by next week.”

“Good. Thank you for helping me.”

“My pleasure.”

Suddenly, her stomach growled.

“I apologize I forgot to eat my breakfast.” She said shyly.

“It’s ok. Do you mind if invite you for lunch? There’s a nice korean restaurant near here and their korean barbecue is best in town. My  wife and I are their regular customers.”

The woman kindness intrigue him somehow. He could notice her tired eyes behind her make-up but she still appear strong and not losing herself.

How could her ex husband cheat on a woman like her?

“Are you not busy Mr. Horvejkul?” Knowing his position she was surprised hearing his offer.

“Nope. My schedule is free until 2pm.”

“Thanks for your kind offer but I don’t want to bother you. Trust me with a face like yours, you would appear on the gossip articles since I saw some journalist following me this morning.” She warned him about the consequences.

“What’s wrong with my face?” he touched his face feeling confused.

“Nothing’s wrong with your face. Well as someone who works in entertainment industry for more than a decade I can say that you can be a model if you want. You’re married, right?”

He nodded.

“That would be worse. They can easily write that I steal you from your wife.”

 “Is it that bad being a celebrity?”

“Yeah, it IS that bad.” She sighed.

“Don’t worry about that. It won’t be just the two of us. You can bring your manager and I’ll bring my assistant along too. ”

She hesitated. The truth was she felt so lonely lately. It was ironic cause she works in an entertainment industry where she was surrounded by many people.

“Ok then.” Couldn’t stand her growling stomach Yoona took her phone and dial her manager number. It’s weird she just knew Nichkhun in less that an hour but they could interact like old friends.

====

For people were sitting in the corner of the restaurant, having their lunch. The chat was dominated by Yoona’s manager, Kang Gary, and Nichkhun’s assistant, Song Ji Hyo. They kept bickering since Gary accidentally touched Ji Hyo’s buttocks inside the elevator. Poor man, he was pushed by a random guy who was in a rush.

“Is your assistant single Khun?” Yoona asked Khun playfully. Her question stop Gary and Jihyo fight over  the last piece of meat.

“Yes, you’re single right Jihyo?”

“Yes boss.” She answered while glaring at Gary who didn’t miss his chance stealing the meat

“You guys, I can order more, no need to fight over that.” Khun smiled.

“and you’re single too right Gary? I think you and JiHyo would make a cute couple.”

“huh me? With her? Don’t be silly Yoona-yah.” He crossed his arm in front of Yoona.

“It’s impossible, Yoona-shi.” Jihyo did the same gesture as Gary.

“I was thinking, perhaps because we rarely had fights he cheated on me. Looking at you two, I just realized that my marriage with him was so boring.” She laughed bitterly.

The mention of ‘he’ and ‘him’ changed the atmosphere.

“Yoona-yah...” Gary gave Yoona a signal to stop because she was with Khun and his assistant.

“It’s ok Mr Kang. Although we barely knew each other, I see Yoona is my friend now. If he really loved you he wouldn’t have done that. Don’t blame yourself.”

“How did you know?”

“Well, if a man trully loves someone he won’t have time to look for others. He won’t dare to do something that he knows will hurt his loved one.”

She bit her tongue to hold herself for continuing the topic that she fooly started.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to pry.”

“I’m sorry too I shouldn’t have started it.”

“Khun, you need to attend your next meeting in 15 minutes.”

JiHyo pointing at her watch. It was 1.45 pm.

“I guess it’s time to leave. It’s on me since I was the one who invited you.”

“Thank you for the great lunch. Next time let’s have dinner together with your wife too and it’ll be on me.”

“She must be glad being invited.  See you next time Yoona, Mr Kang.  Let’s go JiHyo.”

After Khun had paid the bill he stood up then left the restaurant with JiHyo following behind him.

====

It was 8 pm. Nichkhun was waiting Stephanie in her office lobby. His eyes curves into two crecent moons when he saw the one he’s waiting stepped out from the elevator.

“How’s your day?” He took her bag swifty once she was in front of him.

“Good.” It was horrible. She had heard her coworkers talked behind her back, judging her for being a lucky who managed to get Khun to be the father of her child. Her coworkers knew about their broke-up and her sleeping around antic since they went to some parties together.

“So why  you look so upset.”

“I’m fine. It was nothing, really.”

“It wasn’t nothing if it makes you like this.”

“Like what?” she raised her voice.

“...”

After her burst, they walked to the parking lot in silence. Fortunately, his red Audi R8 V10 spyder wasn’t parked that far from the lobby. He opened the passanger car without saying anything then closed the door calmly after she got in.

“I haven’t worn my seatbelt yet” she pointed at her seatbelt when he started the engine. He looked at her then helped her to wear the seatbelt. Stephanie couldn’t help inhaling his body scent when he was reaching her seatbelt on her right side. She felt guilty yelling at Khun becauseshe knew about his concern.

He put the car in gear, backed out of the parking space and headed to their neighborhood groceries store.

“How was your meeting with Yoona?”

She softly massaged the back of his neck with her left hand, while he’s driving, a gesture that she knew would soothe him. He realized that It was her way to apologize.

“It was nice. She asked my company to help her putting her money on some emerging company managed by young people while half of her money goes to charity. I feel bad at her, how could her ex-husband cheated on her. We had a lunch together after our meeting and in just a short time I know that she’s pretty inside and out.”

“Do you find her attractive?”

“Honestly? Yes. Who doesn’t?” he said nonchalantly. “But someone’s already owned my heart so I have nothing to offer.”  He added.

She smiled.

“Steph?”

“Hmm?”

“You better stop massaging my neck It makes me feel sleepy.”

“I heard my coworkers were talking behind my back. They said that i was a lucky for having you as my husband. They were right though. ” She turned the radio on to distract her mind. ‘I Don’t Mind’ by Usher was being played.

“Just ignore them. If there’s anyone who confronts you just say that the baby is mine. She’s mine since you’re my wife now.”

“I’m a lucky .” she laughed bitterly.

“You’re my lucky .” He turned his head to her.

“I guess I am.”

They arrived in the grocery store at 8.30 pm. Stephanie was the one who picked their stuffs while Khun pushing the cart.

“Done. Your favorite Nuttela is our last item.” Stephanie directed Khun to head towards the cashier. The cashier was scanning their groceries when Nichkhun suddenly realized that she forgot buying his pickles.

“Wait! You haven’t taken my pickles yet.”

“Are you serious?” She looked at him weirdly. He wasn’t a fan of the smell of pickles.

“Yes I am. I wasn’t kidding when I said I craved for some pickles. Where’s the aisle for pickles jars?” He asked the cashier quicly.

“It’s in aisle 16th,near the meat section.”

“Wait for me.” He was running to the said aisle.

 “Is he sure he’s not the one who’s pregnant?” mumbled Stephanie.

“My husband was like him too when I wascarrying our first son.” said a middle-aged woman who’s lining behind her.

“Really?”

“Yeah. I was surprised when I saw him munching some pickles in our kitchen in the middle of the night. He stopped doing that after I delivered our baby. He said the pickles made him relieved or something. I know it’s so silly.” The woman laughed.

“Got it.”

Nichkhun gave two jars of pickles to the cashier. He didn’t forget to hand her his credit card. He looked so adorable while panting because of his small run. Without realizing, Stephanie’s left hand already made its way to rub his back softly.

I’m a lucky indeed.

====