The Mystery of the Jewel: Kim Dalbi

Crescents
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This is some important chapter right here, guys. haha. :)

 

For Young Ae, it was the best choice to go back to their hometown and give birth to her second child there. The fresh air, natural scent of trees, and the clear skies all helped her feel relaxed and stressed free. The doctor said her child was weaker than normal which is why although it was almost her due, the child wouldn’t react yet. So they decided to go home from Seoul to their hometown as it was believed that the old women of the community can deliver child better than the doctors. They used traditional methods which helped those who find it difficult to give birth – just like what Young Ae was going through.

“Omma, are we going to stay here forever?” Asked 3 year old Jonghyun as they walked along the silent road of the town. People and vehicles barely passed by. It was peaceful and pollution free.

“I wonder…” Young Ae answered while looking around – one hand on her tummy, one hand holding Jonghyun. "We probably need to leave after your sibling comes out, though.”

Jonghyun listened as he appreciated the beauty of the surrounding. Everything was new to his eyes. It was so different than the huge buildings and busy streets he always witnessed in Seoul.

As they kept on walking, this small garden-like place captured Young Ae’s attention. She didn’t know why but something in her wanted to come inside and see what was in there. Eventually, she let her feet take control. Little Jonghyun was confused but he let his mom bring him with her.

It was beautiful. No. It was actually more than beautiful. It was breathtaking. The flowers bloomed beautifully with its various colors. There were butterflies flying around, and the sound coming from the waterfalls was like a music to her ears. It was like a paradise.

Clueless, an old woman arrived. She silently watched them until Jonghyun noticed her presence. He pulled her mother’s hand. “Omma… th-there’s a…”

Young Ae turned, and felt embarrassed the moment she saw the old woman. “Ah, I’m sorry, we just came in without-“

“No, that’s okay.” The old woman dressed in white was friendly. She was beautiful despite the age. Her fair complexion and dark round eyes made her look like a fairy rather than a human being. “I feel good whenever beautiful people like you appreciate my place.” She smiled momentarily, but that curve on her face faded when she looked down on her tummy. “My dear…”

The old woman stepped closer to them – her eyes focused on her baby bump as she looked like she was examining it well. “This is bad… this is so bad.”

“Wh-what do you mean?” As Young Ae got into her defensive state, she covered her tummy with her hands like that would stop the woman from looking at it.

“She is in danger, your child…” She spoke, now reaching out to hold her tummy when Young Ae stood back.

“No, don’t come closer, please.” Young Ae plead – her face covered with fright. She was doubtful because of how the old woman sounded. It was weird and she started to look creepy.

“But I can help you, if you let me give her something.”

“Wh-what?!”

“She will be born on the night that the moon is closest to the Earth, under the pouring rain. She is the child I would need to help me in the future.” The woman’s voice was soft and calm, but her words just kept on making Young Ae feel terrified.

“You won’t touch my child.” She stepped back, their direction going to the exit. Young Ae never forgot to hold Jonghyun. “Don’t come any closer, I’m begging you, I won’t let you do anything to my child…”

“But you need my help, or she will die –“

“Jonghyun, let’s go.” Young Ae’s voice was shaking but she gathered her strength and walked out of that garden as fast as she could.

---- ---- ----

“I can see her, Young Ae! I can see her! The baby’s about to go out, one more push!”

She was in such excruciating pain. Young Ae thought like she was in the middle of Heaven and Hell. There were no words that coul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter