Chapter 2

Haircuts and Glasses

I opened the sideways doors to the saloon and looked around the interior. Town citizens sat on the wooden round tables drinking alcohol out of small shot glasses and talking contently to each other. I spotted a taller man with a large, bushy mustache talking with the bartender behind the bar table. The mustache man had a gold start pinned to his jacket. I walked closer to him.

 

“Excuse me?” I leaned my head in a little. The sheriff’s eyes shifted from the bartender to me. The bartender looked at me as well. “I’m a new resident. I was told to give this to you?” I held out my resident document.

 

“Oh I see. So you’re the new citizen.” The sheriff glanced through my document then turned his gaze to me. “What’s your name, ma’am?”

 

“My name is Jill.”

 

“You don’t have last name?” The sheriff raised an eyebrow.

 

“I-I do, it’s on the paper.” I pointed to the document quickly.

 

“Uh-huh…and what is your reason for becoming a resident in our peaceful town of Hill Valley?”

 

“I just wanted a change of scenery. So I found out about your town and it looked interesting.”

 

“Interesting choice you made. Have you ever committed any crimes I should be notified about?” His eyes narrowed.

 

I blinked and shook my head. “No, sir. Of course not!”

 

“Mm-hmm.” He didn’t seem convinced. “Well I will get your document entered into our system. Until then, be a dear and stay with Heechul here.” He glanced at the bartender and lowered his voice. “If she does anything suspicious, throw her out.”

 

“Okay.” Heechul nodded.

 

The sheriff looked at me once more before walking out of the saloon doors, leaving me in a state of nervousness.

 

“Sorry about that. He’s like that with all of the new residents.” Heechul chuckled and wiped down the bar in front of me. “It doesn’t help that a thief has been passing by these buildings and causing a ruckus. So he’s very much on edge right now. But he’s usually pretty mellow.”

 

“Oh, cool.” I nodded and watched him clean.

 

“Jill, right?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Nice to meet you, I’m Heechul.” He held out his hand to me. I looked at it surprised and shook it.

 

“Where are you coming from?”

 

“U.S.A.”

 

“Oh really? You know my major in university was English?”

 

I chuckled. “No, I didn’t. You must be really fluent then.”

 

Heechul nodded slowly and cleared his throat a little. “I’m alright…most days. Anyway, you want anything to drink? All we have is alcohol.”

 

“Oh, no thanks. I don’t drink.” I waved my hand dismissively.

 

Heechul blinked and stared at me. “You’re underage?”

 

“No, I’m 22.”

 

“Why don’t you drink?”

 

I shrugged. “I just choose not to.”

 

“Well unless you want to drink lake water all the time, I suggest you try getting used to the idea. Everyone here drinks a lot.”

 

“I’ll be fine.”

 

“Okay, if you say so…” Heechul continued to wipe down the bar top with an amused look in his eyes.

 

“Hey Jill! Come here.” The sheriff called from the front of the saloon. He was holding my document in his hands along with a small bag of things. I waved goodbye to Heechul who nodded at me politely and walked over to the sheriff.

 

“I’m happy to welcome you to our peaceful town of Hill Valley. If you’ll come with me, I’ll show you around the town and where you’ll be staying.”

 

“Thank you.” I nodded politely and followed him out into the main area of the town.

 

“As you know, we just came from the saloon. That over there is the blacksmith’s shop, barbershop, and city bank. A little down this road are some shops and buildings where our citizens reside. Please follow me.” The sheriff pointed out the locations in the area and motioned for me to walk down the road. As we walked, I noticed a large “Closed” sign on the blacksmith’s door.

 

“Isn’t it an odd time of the day for a main shop like the blacksmiths’ to be closed?” I asked the sheriff.

 

The sheriff’s entire demeanor changed as he glared at the shop. “Our unruly owner was fired recently for assisting in the thievery of a gold-plated crown. Both of them were arrested and sent to jail, but I’m very displeased to say that there has been an escape. Once again.”

 

“Oh..” I slowly looked away from the shop and continued walking.

 

“But nevermind that for now.” The sheriff quickly pointed out the shops in the other area of the town and then we walked up one of many small buildings. “And here is where you will be residing.” The sheriff opened the door.

 

I looked inside and felt my heart speed up. The room was small but comfortable with one neatly-made bed in the left corner, a wider space in the middle where my front was and a small kitchen area in the opposite right corner. My suitcase and bags were settled right in the middle of the living room area.

 

“According to your residency questionnaire, you seemed to like smaller, more intimate places rather than big mansions. You seem quite easy that way.” The sheriff mused. “Will this be sufficient for you?”

 

I turned to him and smiled big. “This is exactly what I’m looking for. Thank you very much!” I bowed.

 

He nodded as well. “Go ahead and unpack your things. Then you can explore our town. And if you have any further questions or concerns, my office is near the saloon.”

 

“Okay, thank you.” I bowed again.

 

“I welcome you again to our town. I hope you enjoy your stay.”

 

“Definitely.”

 

“Oh, and you can address me as Sheriff Siwon or just Sheriff. I’m fine with either one.” Siwon added.

 

“Alright, I will.” I chuckled.

 

Siwon tipped his hat and smiled pleasantly. “Have a good afternoon.” He turned around and walked away, letting the door close gently behind him.