Chapter 11

Haircuts and Glasses

“Hey Eunhyuk, you coming to drink with us?” Donghae called out to Eunhyuk who hadn’t moved from his original position.

 

He slowly turned away and shook his head. “I’m not thirsty.” He walked away from the saloon and into the apartment and shops without another word.

 

Donghae watched him go with a confused expression. “That’s weird. He usually drinks with us. Is he sick?” Donghae watched him go for a moment longer before turning to me and Ryeowook. “I’m gonna go talk to him. He seems off.” He waved goodbye and ran off toward the apartments.

 

I glanced at Ryeowook. He glanced at me.

 

“…so you want to get drinks?” He asked.

 

“Well I don’t drink, but we can still go together.” I shrugged.

 

To my surprise, he didn’t give me a surprised expression like everyone else did and nodded. “Okay, let’s go.” He walked past me, leaving his barber chair open in plain sight.

 

I glanced at is then at him. “Um, aren’t you working now?”

 

Ryeowook quickly walked back to the chair, pulled out a small piece of paper from his side drawer, and placed it on the chair. After squinting a little to see it, the note read “Out for lunch.”

 

 

 

We sat together at one of the many round tables inside of the saloon. The sun started to move toward the west as the day crept closer and closer toward night. In a time of what felt like three hours, we talked about many things including my work experience inside of a barber shop setting, favorite kinds of food, our families, and even some of our deepest, darkest secrets. He was getting more and more relaxed from the beer he was drinking and even started to laugh a lot. This caught me off guard because he seemed so serious from the first time we met and now his cute laugh was making me giggle even though I was completely sober.

 

“Okay!” He nodded and pressed his hand down on the table. “I know what kind of job you can do for me.”

 

“Okay?” I nodded and leaned in a little.

 

“Since you never had experience cutting hair, that will obviously remain my part of the job. But since you seem to have enough knowledge on how to wash hair, since you do it thoroughly and have a history of washing challenging hair, I will make you the hair washer.”

 

“You have a sink of some kind? I didn’t see it.”

 

“It’s inside the shop. You haven’t been in there, haven’t you?”

 

“No. I’ve only seen the main outside part.”

 

He nodded. “I will show you the inside tomorrow.”

 

“Great.” I smiled.

 

“Now just because the job I’m giving you seems easy doesn’t mean it will be. Washing hair is a delicate job and our customers should be treated with respect. Okay?”

 

I nodded. “Yesh I understand. I will do my best and work very hard.”

 

“Good.” He nodded again and leaned back, stretching a bit and rubbing his face. “Ugh I’m so tired.”

 

“Wow, a lot of time has gone by since we sat down here.” I looked at the clock on the wall to my right. It was almost completely dark outside.

 

“Wow, you’re right.” Ryeowook also looked at the clock. “Wait…oh my god!” His eyes widened and he bolted from the table to the exit of the saloon. I watched him go surprised.

 

A low chuckled came from behind me. “I was waiting until he’d figure that out.”

 

I turned around. Sitting at the bar was Kyuhyun, the gambler who was talking to Sungmin last night.

 

“You must be a pretty interesting person for him to forget about his job so easily.” He looked at me while a sliver coin in his left hand.

 

I cleared my throat quietly and looked back toward the saloon doors.

 

“You’re Jill, right?” Kyuhyun stepped away from the bar and walked closer to my table.

 

I looked at him. “Yes, why?”

 

“I’ve heard about you from the other townsfolk. I heard you need to get a job in order for you to pay off your rent.”

 

“Yeah and I just got a job. The barber gave me one.” I motioned toward the saloon doors.

 

Kyuhyun nodded. “Good, good. He should be fun to work with. I’m sure you two will make a great team. But don’t you think you should have more than one income of money? Shouldn’t you consider more jobs?”

 

I eyed him a bit suspiciously. “…I guess that would be a good idea.”

 

“I think it’s a good idea too. So why don’t you consider working for me?”

 

I blinked. “What is your job?”

 

“I gamble for a living.”

 

“Isn’t that a bit dangerous?”

 

“Sometimes. But most of the time it’s exhilarating and you have multiple opportunities to win great amounts of fortune to use however you want to. Doesn’t that sound intriguing?”

 

I slowly stood up. “I’m not really interested, sorry.”

 

“I understand. Just offering.” Kyuhyun nodded and turned back toward the bar.

 

I watched him for a moment. “…I noticed you are trying to help the bank owner.”

 

He stopped walking and didn’t turn around.

 

“I think it’s sweet, but you shouldn’t steal other people’s paychecks.”

 

“Who said I was stealing them? I don’t steal things. I win them.”

 

“I saw what you did to the barber yesterday and I really think you shouldn’t do that. Find other ways to earn your money.”

 

He was silent for a moment. “…some people need more money than others.” With that, he walked back to the bar and sat down, not giving me another look.

 

I sighed a little then turned around to exit the saloon.