Chapter 14

Haircuts and Glasses

I relaxed in the barber chair as a large grey sheet was draped over my shoulders and my hair was gathered into a small ball and laid out evenly across my upper back. Ryeowook carefully took off my glasses and stuck them back in his coat pocket. For the next five minutes, he brushed, snipped, sprayed, and even styled my hair until I couldn’t feel it on my shoulders anymore. I didn’t know what he was doing, but I was curious to see how the result would turn out. He worked in silence the entire time, probably concentrating. I didn’t mind, leaning back a little and letting my mind wander. The thought of Leeteuk and Shindong snuck up in my mind and my mindset suddenly turned anxious. I remembered what Shindong said about wanting to get his own revenge on Ryeowook and Donghae for getting him turned in.  Even though Leeteuk told him only to go for Donghae, the look on his face didn’t seem very agreeable…

 

“Okay, done.” Ryeowook said, pulling me out of my thoughts. “What do you think?” A small mirror was moved in front of my face and I took it, looking at the face staring back at me. My hair was all pinned up and curled and I was given some wispy bangs on the far sides of my face.

 

“It’s looks nice.” I blinked and squinted a little. It was a little hard to see without my glasses.

 

“Just nice?”

 

“I-I mean, I really like it!” I turned around to look at him. I could tell he didn’t believe my words.

 

“You don’t like it.”

 

“No, I do!” I sighed a little and climbed out of the barber chair. “I really do, no joke!”

 

“Then why do you look so concerned all of a sudden?”

 

“I…” I glanced around the area. It was very dark and hard for me to see anyone walking around. “…I think I should go home.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I feel a little sick.”

 

“Did you catch a cold?”

 

“Y-yeah…I should go home and rest.” I quickly made my way to the stairs but a sudden grab to my wrist stopped me.

 

“Why are you acting like this so suddenly? Did I do something bad to you?” He asked very quietly.

 

I clamped my eyes shut and sighed shakily. “No you didn’t. I just really want to go home right now.”

 

“You’re hiding something from me.”

 

I didn’t respond.

 

“Tell me.”

 

“I can’t.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“Y-you might get hurt!”

 

“What?”

 

“I’m just trying to protect you!” I yelled a little and yanked my hand away. Before he could respond, I jolted across the main town area, made it back to my apartment in less than a minute, and quickly closed the door, making sure it locked. Then I stood in the darkness breathing in and out heavily until tears starting falling from my eyes. It was killing me to keep Leeteuk’s scheme a secret, especially since it involved murdering people. I sunk to my knees and buried my face in my arms. If I could I just wanted to disappear at that moment. Forget I ever moved here and had settled in a completely normal town.

 

Then a soft knock came from my door, making me jump. After standing up and looking at it for a moment, I opened it.

 

“You forgot these.” Ryeowook held out my glasses.

 

I slowly took them without looking at him. “Thanks.”

 

“…I don’t know why you’re so upset…but please don’t run away like that. It’s rude.”

 

“…I’m sorry.” I nodded softly.

 

“…come with me to the saloon.” He said.

 

“I’m really not in the mood.” I mumbled.

 

Ryeowook sighed a little and grabbed my wrist again. “You will be. Let’s go.” He dragged me out of my house and back toward the main town area. I fought him for a little bit, asking him to let me go and let me stay home, but once we got to the saloon entrance, I had already given up.