Chapter 16

Haircuts and Glasses

For the next two days, I worked behind the barber shop as the washer and my intake of costumers was continuously long. The business grew very much all together. I could tell Ryeowook’s mood was very light and friendly, especially around me. It seemed like I took a weight off of his shoulders and he always seemed to show gratitude whenever he spoke to me, even if it was just to see how I was doing. Working with him made me feel safe as well, since he was the only person I confessed Leeteuk’s scheme to. To me it felt like we created a special bond that nobody else could break. He walked me home for the past two nights, always ordering me to lock my door and survey my entire apartment before falling asleep. Thinking about his caring behavior made me smile and my heart speed up. My face would heat up and my gaze would always flicker down and away as well.

 

On the day before the festival, I was cleaning up after a costumer left my chair when the door opened again.

 

“Hello Jill.” Eunhyuk said.

 

“Hello.” I smiled and nodded politely, motioning him to sit down.

 

He walked over and settled into my seat while I draped a small towel over and around his shoulders and gently tilted the chair back.

 

“It’s been a long day for you, hasn’t it?” Eunhyuk kept his gaze on me.

 

“Yeah, but I feel good.” I chuckled and filled the box behind the chair with warm water. “This business has grown so much since I started working here. It makes me feel good to have contributed so much.”

 

“It is a good thing you’re doing. You have such a kind heart.” Eunhyuk smiled softly as I shoveled warm water through his bleach-blonde locks.

 

I smiled and nodded. “Thanks.” I washed his hair in silence for a few minutes.

 

“…can I ask you a question?” Eunhyuk asked.

 

“Of course.” I rung out his clean hair and reached toward my work table for a dry towel.

 

“…you know about the festival happening in a couple days?”

 

“Yeah, I know.”

 

He seemed to be a little nervous as I collected his hair in the towel and patted it dry. “I… I want to go with you.”

 

I froze and looked at him. “Huh?”

 

“It’s common for couples to go to the festival. So I’m asking you to go with me.”

 

“As…a date?”

 

“…yes.”

 

I stared at him for a very long time, unable to form words. But as surprised as I was, a clear answer rang in my heart. “…I’m sorry…but…I don’t know if I’m going…” I slowly looked away and removed the towel.

 

“But you have to come! Every townsperson in Hill Valley will be there!” Eunhyuk sat up and looked at me surprised.

 

“O-oh…” I sighed a little and kept my gaze down.

 

“Why don’t you want to go with me?” Eunhyuk stared at me.

 

“I-I just…rather go by myself.”

 

“But I’m asking you…”

 

I didn’t respond.

 

“…you know, I thought you were the most beautiful person ever when I first saw you enter through our town gate.” Eunhyuk slowly reached for my wrist and took it. “Even though other girls would talk to me nonstop for the entire day, I always kept thinking about you. Mostly your eyes and how beautiful they are.”

 

I bit my lip and pulled my hand away. “Y-you’re making me feel uncomfortable.” I quickly turned around and started cleaning up my work table.

 

“Please don’t push me away like this.”  

 

I felt arms snake around my waist and his body rest against my back. “P-please get off.” I squirmed a little but he kept his grip secure.

 

“I can feel your shyness. You don’t have to be shy around me.” He turned me around and before I could stop him, his lips collided with mine. My eyes widened and I moaned uncomfortably, trying to push him away.

 

Then I heard the door open.

 

“Hey I need to borrow some shampoo—“

 

I succeeded in pushing Eunhyuk away and staggering back a couple steps to cover my mouth indignantly. Ryeowook stood at the entrance with his hand stuck to the door knob and a look of utter disbelief in his eyes.

 

Eunhyuk sighed a little, keeping his eyes on me.

 

“I-I didn’t do it! I swear!” I kept my gaze glued to the ground and my hand covering my mouth. “I-I was just doing my job, a-and he…”

 

“I clearly made a mistake.” Eunhyuk said quietly. “I’ll just be going now.” After watching me for another second, he turned toward the entrance to the barber shop front. Ryeowook remained standing in his place, not letting Eunhyuk pass through.

 

“Hair washing is 10,000 won.” Ryeowook said with emotionless eyes.

 

Eunhyuk slowly reached into his pocket and pulled out a 10,000 won bill. After Ryeowook took it, he moved to the side to let Eunhyuk pass through.

 

I slowly removed my hand from my mouth. “…I’m so sorry…”

 

“Why are you apologizing?”

 

“I-I…” I couldn’t look him in the eye.

 

“Don’t be sorry. It’s not your fault. He’s always been confident with women. He just can’t believe any woman would refuse his affections.”

 

I didn’t respond.

 

“…you pushed him away.”

 

I slowly glanced at him. “Of course I did! I don’t really know him that well and I’m working!”

 

“Those are the only reasons?” Ryeowook was glancing at me.

 

“…no.” I admitted quietly.

 

Some noise came from the front of the barber shop and Ryeowook glanced behind him. “…let’s talk later.”

 

I nodded softly as he closed the door, leaving me to quietly straighten up my work table and smooth out the leather on the barber chair. I was extremely disgusted. Not only did Eunhyuk steal my first kiss in this town, but Ryeowook had to be the one to walk in as it happened. I could practically see his screams in the dilated pupils of his eyes. Even though he didn’t express any anger, I could feel all of it in his calm voice. Luckily no other customers entered my part of the shop to get their hair washed, so as closing time neared, I locked up everything, entered through the barber shop office, and opened the door to the front. Ryeowook was waving away the last costumer and turned around. Our eyes met.

 

I nodded politely and motioned behind me. “I’m all locked up back there.”

 

“Good.” He nodded back and proceeded to clean up his stall.

 

I watched him silently for a few seconds. “…do you need any help?”

 

“I’m fine.” He didn’t look at me.

 

I watched him for a few more seconds. “…maybe we can go to the saloon after you’re done? It’s been a couple days.”

 

“It would be fun for you. Go ahead.” He answered.

 

“You’re not coming?”

 

“Honestly…I’m not in the mood.” He admitted quietly as he covered his chair with a light blue cloth.

 

“Are you mad?” I asked very quietly.

 

He didn’t respond for a moment, then turned to look at me. “Yes.”

 

I immediately lowered my gaze. “I’m so sorry.”

 

“I’m not mad at you.”

 

I kept my eyes glued to the ground.

 

“…Eunhyuk kissed you before.”

 

I sighed loudly and my eyes narrowed in upset.

 

“…I wanted to kill him.”

 

My eyes raised in surprise. “What?”

 

“I’m normally a calm person, but…seeing him kiss you the way he did…” He shook his head and lowered his gaze. “I felt so angry.”

 

I stared at him quietly.

 

“…but it’s not just the thought of him kissing you that makes me angry…it’s anyone in this town…” He said very quietly. “It is a very intimate thing…and you should be kissed by the right kind of person. Someone who truly cares about you.”

 

My heart jumped and my head suddenly felt dizzy. Is he…about to confess something to me?