Chapter 3

Haircuts and Glasses

After an hour of unpacking my things and cleaning up my comfortable apartment space, I opened the door and stepped outside, eager to explore this new town. I didn’t look to my side before stepping out and I ended up bumping into someone who was trying to walk past me.

 

“Oh, 죄송합니다!” I backed up and bowed. (I’m sorry.)

 

“Hey, be careful! These melons took me forever to ripen!” The guy I bumped into had long, bleached blonde locks and scruffy grey clothing. He held a medium watermelon firmly in his arms like it was his baby.

 

“I’m sorry!” I bowed again and motioned for him to walk past me. He shook his head at me disdainfully and walked past me, cradling the watermelon in his hands and consoling it gently. I stared at him for a second, then closed the door to my apartment and locked it.

 

I walked around the little shops in the area, not really in a buying mood but just as happy enough to window shop. A few minutes in, I was stopped by a guy wearing a neat cowboy outfit and hat. He was holding a Wanted poster.

 

“Excuse me, miss? Have you seen this man and do you have any idea where he could be right now?” He showed me the poster. The man in the picture wore a cowboy hat with little holes in them and he was grinning widely. I don’t think he realized he was getting his mug shot because his picture seemed more like a school portrait.

 

“I just moved in today. I’m sorry, I don’t know.” I chuckled lightly and shrugged.

 

“Oh, did you?” The man smiled and tipped his hat. “Welcome to our town. I’m Lee Donghae.”

 

“I’m Jill.” I bowed politely.

 

“Nice to meet you! Anyway, if you see a man who looks like this, tell me immediately! If you’re willing to strike up a deal with me, I can give you half of the reward money.”

 

“Why?” I cocked my head.

 

“I’m a bounty hunter, but I’m not selfish.” He chuckled. “Anyway, it’s just a suggestion.”

 

“What kind of deal are we talking about here?” I asked carefully.

 

“It’s not a big deal. Just give me one of your paychecks. It will be a trade, except you will be getting way more money. Sounds good, right?”

 

“Um, I don’t have a job.”

 

Donghae blinked. “You don’t?”

 

“No, not yet.”

 

“How did you pay for you apartment then?”

 

“I have a lot of saving money.”

 

“I see. You must be quite rich then. The apartments here aren’t cheap.” He nodded, impressed.

 

“They’re not that bad.” I shrugged again.

 

“Alright. Well it was nice talking to you. Even if you do find this man, I’ll still consider splitting half of the reward money with you.”

 

“Why?” I asked again.

 

“I told you, I’m not selfish.” He grinned and waved. “Have a good day.” He turned around and continued walking the other way, studying the Wanted paper carefully. I watched him go then slowly shook my head and continued walking toward the saloon.

 

As I got closer, I could see two guys sitting on the bench outside of the barber shop with cards in their hands and a pretty large pile of money resting on a small make-shift table. One of them wore a fancy suit and neatly styled dark hair. The other also wore a fancy suit but it was white and he was wearing dark-rimmed glasses and his bangs were a little messy.

 

“Full house.” The glasses guy showed the other guy his deck with a small grin.

 

“Straight flush.” The other guy put down his cards.

 

“Oh come on!! How is that even possible!?” The glasses guy stared dumb folded at the cards.

 

“These things happen when you play poker. Didn’t you know that?” The other guy gathered up the big pile of money and started to organize them.

 

“You scammed me! You said you were just a beginner!” The glasses guy stood up.

 

“I am.” The other guy chuckled. “Wow, almost one thousand dollars. This must have been at least two or three of your paychecks, right?”

 

“…more or less…” The glasses guy said through gritted teeth.

 

“ for you then. Poker probably isn’t your kind of game. Bye.” The other guy waved and smiled cutely and walked past me counting the many bills in his hands.

 

I looked at the glasses guy as he rubbed his face slowly and sighed loudly. Then he folded up the make-shift table and opened the door to his shop to bring it back inside.

 

“Excuse me?” A voice sounded from behind me.

 

I turned around to see another guy wearing a fancy black suit and wearing gold-rimmed glasses. His hair was a mixture of white and black.

 

“My name is Lee Sungmin and I’m the owner of the Hill Valley bank. You’re Jill, right?”

 

“Yes.” I nodded politely.

 

“Sheriff Siwon gave me your information and I’d love to help you set up a banking account. Do you have time to do it now?”

 

“Oh, absolutely!” I nodded vigorously.

 

“Excellent! Follow me, please.” Sungmin smiled sweetly and motioned for me to follow him.