Chapter 9

Haircuts and Glasses

In the main area of the town I could see Eunhyuk some distance away hanging around a bunch of girls who looked like they were from Europe or America and they were all wearing cute Western dresses. They all seemed very interested in Eunhyuk’s bullfighting skills even though he was just waving his red flag around and posing handsomely. I didn’t understand why they liked it so much, but who was I to question it? I found myself standing idly outside of the saloon entrance and decided to walk around. I approached the old blacksmith’s shop with the big “Closed” sign on the main entrance and looked it up and down. It was dusty from inactivity and a small, medal pedestal stood some distance from the door.

 

“Our blacksmith turned out to be a traitor.” A voice sounded from my side. I turned to see Donghae looking at the establishment with me. “It’s a shame. He was a hard worker and a really friendly person. Since he was kicked out of our town, we’ve had trouble finding a new blacksmith. I never realized how important they really are to the townspeople’s well-being.”

 

“Why was he kicked out?” I asked.

 

“You know about this guy? Leeteuk?” Donghae showed me the Wanted poster with Leeteuk’s smug, cheerful face. “Our blacksmith tried to help him steal the golden crown that is showcased in our town bank. They were both caught and banished, but…there’s another part of the story.” His voice became quieter and his expression turned mischievous. “I shouldn’t tell you though. It would be gossip on my part.”

 

“What is it?” I asked, pretty much already predicting his answer.

 

“Well this is just a rumor, but the bartender, Heechul, was thought to be the actual organizer of the crime. I heard he paid Leeteuk millions of dollars to get the crown for him, but when the case was presented at the city court, Heechul was tried and found out to be innocent, so Leeteuk and our blacksmith Shingdong were banished from our town by Sheriff Siwon.”

 

 

“Huh.”

 

“I wouldn’t be surprised if they were both dead by now. There isn’t another town that’s close by here and it would take a long walk into the desert to find any kind of food or water. But there’s something that tells me that they’re still alive.”

 

“Why do you still have that poster if Leeteuk was banished?”

 

“I’m a bounty hunter, I have to do some kind of work or else I’ll be bored.” He chuckled.

 

“Then why don’t you find other thieves to track down?”

 

“Believe me, I’m trying. But I just can’t shake off the feeling that Leeteuk and our blacksmith are still out there somewhere.” He glanced over toward the exit to the town for a few seconds.

 

I cleared my throat a little. “I’m sure they’re dead…” I really wished that was true.

 

Donghae hummed quietly then turned back to me. “Anyway, what happened to you last night? Last time I remembered, you said you were going outside to get fresh air.”

 

“Oh.” I chuckled quietly. “Sorry about that. I got really tired so I went back to my apartment.”

 

“You know you could have just told us you were going to bed.” He chuckled.

 

“I know it’s rude to leave a group of people when everyone is drinking…”

 

“That doesn’t really apply to you since you’re a foreigner. We still like you.”

 

“Oh, good.” I smiled weakly.

 

“Hey Donghae!”

 

We looked behind us to see Eunhyuk waving Donghae over. I blinked, noticing that the girls that were watching his bullfighting poses were sitting all around him with big, girly smiles on their faces.

 

“Well this should be interesting. See you later.” Donghae waved at me and turned around to approached Eunhyuk.

 

I watched him go then took one last look at the closed blacksmith shop before slowly walking down the path back toward my apartment.

 

Once I was back inside my room, I noticed a small envelope resting on the floor directly in front of the door. I bent down and picked it up.

 

This is a notice from the Hill Valley Town Bank

 

Good morning Miss Jill,

 

This is just a reminder to pay your monthly rent payment of 550,000 won by the last day of each mouth for the contract you signed with us.

 

Have a nice day.

 

Lee Sungmin, Owner

 

I stared at the paper with wide eyes and read it five more times in my head.

 

550,000 won!? No…that couldn’t be right….

 

 

 

“…yes, that amount is 550,000 won.” Sungmin looked at me from behind his desk. I stared at him wide-eyed.

 

“H-how can this be? I could have sworn the contract said 275,000 won!”

 

Sungmin looked through some files in his desk drawer and pulled out a copy of my contract. “See? Right here, 550,000 won.” He pointed at the number clearly written on the paper.

 

My heart dropped to my knees. “I…I can’t afford that kind of rent! I don’t have a job!” Panic set in and I felt like crying.

 

“I’m sure you could find a job in this town somewhere.” Sungmin replied.

 

“Oh my god…” I started to shake and my red burned with embarrassment.

 

“Hey, it’s okay!” Sungmin held his hand up with surprised eyes. “Just look around town for work and you’ll have your rent money soon!”

 

I quickly nodded and stood up. “Thank you.” I bowed quickly and ran out of the city bank. Once I was outside, my head dropped and tears started flowing from my eyes.

 

Great, just freaking perfect…