Chapter 8

Haircuts and Glasses

“Hey look who woke up.” Heechul smirked at me as I walked up to the bar.

 

“I’m sorry about last night…I just wanted to go back to my apartment.” I lied.

 

“It’s fine, don’t worry about it. It gets pretty boring when you’re around other people who are drunk.” He chuckled and leaned his elbows on the bar, resting his chin on the top of his hands.

 

“Sometimes.” I smiled softly and sat down on one of the spinning bar chairs. I was quiet as other townspeople walked up to the bar and asked for drinks. Heechul set out shot glasses and regular glasses and pulled out a couple glass bottles of whiskey and soju.

 

I glanced at the soju a bit surprised. “Isn’t it a bit early to start drinking?”

 

“It’s not a good idea, but I can’t refuse a costumer.” Heechul replied and tipped one of the larger bottles over to fill the small shot glasses with alcohol.

 

Once the townspeople left, I took a deep breath and looked at Heechul. “So I heard there’s this festival happening this Friday?”

 

“Oh yeah, the annual festival. Are you gonna come?”

 

“Yeah, probably. Will you be there?”

 

“Yeah I have to serve alcohol.” He chuckled.

 

“Oh…um, will you ever have a break?”

 

“Maybe a small one at certain times in the evening. Why?” Heechul looked at me.

 

I took in a small breath. “I just want to know when they are if you don’t mind.”

 

Heechul looked at me funny. “Do you want to ask me something?”

 

“Yes, but not until the festival. When you have a break.”

 

“Why can’t you ask me now?”

 

I paused for a second. “It has something to do with the festival, so I have to wait to ask you until the day its happening.”

 

Heechul looked at me for a long time. Then the saloon doors opened and the sheriff walked in. His face was washed in fatigue and his movements were slow and careful.

 

“Heechul…one hangover soup…please…” He stumbled into the bar, holding his head.

 

“Sheriff, this is the bar. I only serve alcohol.” Heechul continued to keep an eye on me.

 

“Oh…yeah…” Siwon sighed and moaned softly. “Why do I always drink more than I want to…”

 

“You’ll be fine sheriff. Just take it easy today.”

 

Siwon groaned again and shifted his gaze to blink at me several times. “Oh Jill…did you sleep well?”

 

“Yes.” I nodded politely.

 

“Good.” He patted my shoulder and rested his face in his palms.

 

Heechul glanced at me again. “So you want to ask me a question on the day of the festival?”

 

I looked back at him. “Yes. If you don’t mind.”

 

“I don’t mind. You’ll just have to catch me at a time when I’m not handing out drinks, but I can’t stay away from the bar for too long.”

 

I nodded. “Alright. It’s a simple question, so it won’t take long. If we can just meet someplace private even for one minute, it will be fine.”

 

“What kind of question will you ask me?”

 

“Just a yes or no question. That’s all.”

 

“…alright, if you insist.” Heechul’s eyes still had a hint of suspicion in them but he was called over by a townsperson for a refill on their drink and he moved over to their table to carry out their request.

 

“Thank you.” I called over to him.

 

He raised his hand to wave to me from behind him while facing his costumer. I let out a small but deep sigh. It did sound a little suspicious, but he agreed nonetheless. And I got this out of the way long before Friday, which made me feel even better.

 

“Jill.” The sheriff’s voice mumbled from behind me.

 

“Yes?” I turned around.

 

“Did Kangin give you the complimentary basket of fruit and card for the festival this Friday?”

 

“Is Kangin the fruit stand owner?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Yes, he did. This morning after I woke up.”

 

“Good. I hope to see you there. And I hope in the meantime, you will make many friends here and everyone will treat you respectfully.” Siwon seemed to be sobering up relatively quickly to me.

 

“Thank you.” I bowed and smiled.

 

He nodded and rubbed his side temple once more before straightening up in his seat. “Heechul!”

 

“Yes.” Heechul moved back behind the bar and looked at Siwon.

 

“One whiskey please.”

 

“Sheriff, with all due respect, that isn’t going to cure your hangover.”

 

“It’s not for me.”

 

Heechul’s eyes narrowed, obviously not believing him.

 

I decided to take my leave there and walk out into the steadily growing sunshine-filled atmosphere.