Chapter 19

Haircuts and Glasses

I opened my mouth but before any sound came out, the sound of a gun clicking stabbed the peaceful atmosphere.

 

“Thanks a lot Jilly. I’m glad I could count on you to fulfill my wishes.” Leeteuk smirked. The tip of his gun was positioned at the side of Heechul’s head.

 

Heechul let out a small breath, almost like a sigh. “I had a feeling this was going to happen.”

 

“I’m glad you remember me. I’m truly honored. The question is do you remember what happened to me after you lied right to the sheriff’s face at court?”

 

“As I recall, you were banished.” Heechul replied.

 

“Yep. It’s not fun being banished. Especially in the unforgivingly hot desert. I think you can understand that I truly hate your guts right now.” Leeteuk said through slightly clenched teeth.

 

“You can hate me all you want. I really don’t care.” Heechul slowly turned to him. “Why don’t you put that pistol down and come join the festival? Everyone’s having a great time.”

 

“I’m considering it, but I’m pretty sure the sheriff would remember my face.”

 

Suddenly another gun click sounded. “You’re absolutely right, you cunning thief.” Siwon’s low voice startled me a little. “You broke a big rule coming back here. You’ve got some nerve.”

 

Leeteuk chuckled. “Are you going to kill me, sheriff?”

 

“I don’t fire guns during our annual festival. It’s not the time or place.”

 

“That’s too bad. Because I’m going to blow Heechul’s brains out. He doesn’t deserve to live after the way he stabbed me so harshly in the back.”

 

“I was just saving myself. It’s not like I hated you or anything.” Heechul shrugged one shoulder.

 

Leeteuk’s head snapped around to Siwon. “Did you hear that, sheriff? He just said he was trying to save himself! He should have been banished just like me and Shindong!”

 

Siwon was quiet for a moment. “…that is not the issue right now. Put down your gun.”

 

“Oh my god, come on!” Leeteuk stared at Siwon wide-eyed. “He just—“

 

Put down your gun.” Siwon’s finger remained positioned over the trigger on his gun. “I will not have violence and misconduct at our annual festival.”

 

“You’re unbelievable.” Leeteuk shook his head. “No wonder you have to work so hard to keep your title positive.”

 

“I’ll ask you once more.” Siwon’s eyes narrowed.

 

After a stiff moment of silence, Leeteuk slowly lowered his gun, keeping his glare on Siwon.

 

“See you in hell.” Leeteuk suddenly raised his gun before letting it fall to the ground and aimed it at Heechul. A piercingly loud explosive sound attacked me ear drums, making me flinch and cover my ears in pain.

 

Heechul’s entire body twitched and slowly fell over. Before his back hit the ground, another unbearably loud gunshot echoed through the air and Leeteuk’s eyes widened. Blood started to trickle down his back as he fell to his knees and then onto his stomach.

 

I stared at the two in shock, shaking a little and holding my ears tenderly. A growing sound of worry and commotion started to become hearable in our ears that were slowly recovering from the gunshots.

 

Siwon lowered his gun, staring down at the two solemnly. “I didn’t want to do that…but you left me no choice.”

 

Leeteuk spat out a glob of red blood and his breathing became heavier. He was facing Heechul’s side. Heechul’s eyes were open and he was staring at the sky also breathing hard.

 

“…this…is…good…enough…for…me…seeing you…like…this…” Leeteuk wheezed, his lips twitching up into a smirk.

 

Heechul’s own mouth formed a smirk as well. “Go…to…hell.”

 

“See…you…there…”

 

The two men’s breathing gradually got slower until dying out. Both of their eyes remained open, Leeteuk staring at Heechul and Heechul staring at the clear, night sky. I stared at both of them wide-eyed, slowly removing my hands from my ears. Siwon placed his gun back in his holster and bent down to close both of their eyes. “It brings me great sadness to do such a terrible thing…” He sighed and stood up, facing me. “Come on. Let’s go back.”

 

“W-we’re just gonna leave them there?” I asked nervously.

 

“We’ll just make this area off limits to the public until everyone goes home. Then will dispose of the bodies properly.”

 

I nodded after a second of confusion, then followed Siwon back into the main area of the festival. “Go enjoy yourself.” Siwon patted my shoulder and walked over to the wooden stage. “Everyone please listen to me for a moment. Please do not mind the gunshots you heard moments ago. Everything is under control and absolutely nobody’s lives are in danger. So please continue to enjoy yourselves.”

 

This seemed to set everyone’s minds at ease. That is until another low voice chuckled through the night air.

 

“I wouldn’t listen to him.” Shindong chided. “He’s lied to you before.”

 

Everyone’s gaze switched to Shindong, who was holding a squirming Ryeowook in his arm and holding a small pistol in his other hand.

 

I thought my insides exploded but my body remained frozen. I couldn’t even yell.

 

Siwon’s gaze widened. “Y-you…the blacksmith!”

 

“It’s been a long time, hasn’t it?” Shindong made his way toward the center of the wooden dance floor, causing the other townsfolk to move away immediately. “Everyone listen up! There’s a couple people in this town that have gotten in my way. I’m holding one of them in my arm right now, but if the other one doesn’t step forward right now…” Shindong raised his pistol so the opening was touching the side of Ryeowook’s head.

 

“NO!!” My voice cracked and my hands came over my mouth.

 

Siwon immediately pulled out his pistol and aimed it at Shindong. “Listen to me right now. Put down the gun.”

 

“Like I’m taking orders from you.” Shindong’s eyes scanned the crowd. “Are you gonna show yourself? Or am I going to add his blood to the festival banners?”

 

The townspeople all glanced at each other and made small noises. I could feel tears forming in my eyes. Every part of me wanted to run up to Shindong, kick him in the balls, and then kick him a mile into the sky. But my body remained frozen and my eyes widened.

 

“…Calm down, man.” Donghae’s voice raised above the murmuring crowd. Everyone turned to look at him. He was staring at Shindong with a surprisingly calm demeanor.

 

Shindong’s eyes narrowed and his mouth formed into a smirk. “There you are. Why don’t you come closer.”

 

Donghae slowly stepped onto the wooden floor. I could see Eunhyuk in the crowd staring at Donghae like I was staring at Ryeowook.

 

“Why don’t you put the gun down, huh? He’s our best barber.” Donghae said.

 

“And you’re the best bounty hunter, right?” Shindong chuckled dryly and didn’t move his pistol.

 

“Yeah. And you were the best blacksmith.” Donghae replied.

 

“None of that matters now. The only thing that matters to me right now is seeing you two suffer as much as me and Leeteuk did.”

 

“Look…I can’t even imagine the kind of banishment you two went through. I never experienced it but I can imagine it’s rough. But you shouldn’t act like this. You’re making our annual festival unnecessarily scary.”

 

“If you think saying the same thing the sheriff said will change my mind, you’re wrong.”

 

“Then I’ll say something different: I’m sorry.”

 

Shindong blinked. “What?”

 

“I’m sorry me and Ryeowook got in the way of your plans. We were just going what was best for the safety of the town.”

 

Shindong seemed very confused. “You’re…apologizing to me?”

 

Donghae nodded. “Yeah. We’re sorry. Right?” He glanced at Ryeowook.

 

Ryeowook could only nodded softly since Shindong’s arm was fastened around his neck and throat.

 

“…how can you possibly think that saying those words are going to fix all of the pain me and Leeteuk went through?” Shindong said bitterly.

 

“I don’t expect it. What you experienced will never leave your memories. But at least we can make amends and start over, right?”

 

Shindong stared at Donghae in silence.

 

“So why don’t we all put our pasts behind us and start fresh?” Donghae held out his hand for a handshake.

 

Shindong stared at his hand for a very long time.