The Case Begins

The Dame

                Jongin didn’t have much to do at home. He was waiting for Chanyeol to return. The newspaper liked his headline and wanted him to work more on it. He has spent the whole afternoon researching The Dame on the internet. Most of the articles were about her business deals or charity events. There was a tabloid report on her divorce with Kris many years ago but nothing much was mentioned. The Dame hardly did interviews, and if she did she refrained from talking about her family and focused on her work instead. She was a very private woman indeed.

                Jongin was still printing out The Dame’s business articles (including her own personal column written for Business Insider) when Chanyeol finally arrived home. “There you are. You look a little haggard.”

                “Do I?” Chanyeol ruffled his hair and made a beeline to the kitchen.

                “Yeah. Still getting nowhere?”

                “Not completely.” Chanyeol gulped down a glass of juice before pouring some more into his glass. “I managed to get a hold of this P.I.E.”

                “And?” Jongin asked.

                “Well they are definitely not what you expect from a respectable woman like The Dame.”

                Jongin’s eyes widen. “Are they…illegal?”

                “Not quite,” Chanyeol stuck out his bottom lip. “These kinds of institution are never really illegal anyways. Might be morally wrong but not that wrong.”

                “So you went to see them? How was it?”

                “It’s a little fuzzy really.” Chanyeol sighed, closing his eyes. “God,” he sighed and groaned a little. “The head honcho is some sort of genius and his best is…wow.”

                “Wow what?” Jongin was insanely curious now. He leaned forward across the kitchen counter and listened in expectantly.

                “He is…exasperating and sarcastic, foul-mouthed and y but damn…”

                “Are you talking with your head or your little Junior down there?” Jongin teased, seeing the way Chanyeol was so distraught over one person. He looked like someone had offered to give him the of his life but left halfway to play Candy Crush or something.

                “He ing stripped in front of me! A complete stranger!!” Chanyeol threw his hands up. “But damn his skin…”

                “Let Junior speak for a bit.” Jongin smirked.

                “His skin is the colour of white snow, perfect and unblemished. That foul mouth he’s got also has the pinkest lips I have seen. His fingers are carved from gods and he is just so frustratingly y.”

                “Feel better now that Junior has said a few words?”

                “Yeah.” Chanyeol huffed. Only Jongin knew when he was thinking with his (why does this sound strange?).

                “And then what?” Jongin pressed on.

                “They offered their services to me.”

                “What did you say then?”

                “I haven’t decided. I said I would call them.”

                “Oh.” A pregnant silence encompassed the room as Jongin pretended to be checking his phone while Chanyeol sat down, fiddling with his cup.

                “So?” Chanyeol looked up first.

                “So what?”

                “Aren’t you always telling me what to do?”

                “Am not.”

                “Liar.”

                “Am not.” Jongin scoffed. “But here’s what you should do,” (Chanyeol face-palmed himself) “I think you should just say yes.”

                “Why? I’m perfectly capable of handling this all on my own. I still have the rest of the boys back at the station to help me.”

                “NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!” Jongin slammed his fist on the table repeatedly. “That is disgusting and grotesque!!! Those big lumps of fat just sitting around dunking doughnuts into their too-sweet coffee? They can’t even get out of their ing chairs I bet! Besides, they can’t even take care of their own problems.”

                “It’s true. Their efficiency has been a little weak.”

                “You have been flying solo all this time, there’s no harm in accepting some help. Think about it this way, The Dame hired them for a reason. They must be good.”

                “The Dame hired them because she doesn’t want to get the public involved.”

                “And why should you want the public involved? Unless you have a kink for that…” Jongin muttered the last line to himself. Chanyeol was looking at him strangely. “Jongin, are we talking about the same thing or…”

                “All I’m saying is you should just accept their offer.”

                “You think so?”

                “Think about it. They are hired for a reason.”

                Chanyeol chewed on his bottom lip, thinking about it in his head. “I guess you’re right. You’ll never know unless you try it eh?”

                “Exactly.” Jongin nodded.

                “Plus it’s nice to know that someone is on the same page with me when it comes to the case.” Chanyeol grabbed his coat. “I’m going back there.”

                “Oh oh oh can I come with?”

                “Uh sure. No harm I guess.” Chanyeol shrugged and handed Jongin his coat. The reporter giggled in glee.

                “Why are you so excited?”

                “Nothing, I’m just happy for my best friend.” He patted Chanyeol’s shoulder and giggled some more. Chanyeol just shook his head and followed him.

********************

                “Why are we here at a bakery?” It was nearing nightfall when they arrived.

                “It’s just a front, their headquarters is downstairs.” Chanyeol explained, dialling a number on his phone. “They do make pretty good pies though.”

                “Can I get one before we go?” Jongin eyed the array of scrumptious looking pastries in display but Chanyeol grabbed his arm and jerked him back. “No time let’s go.”

                “Why are we in a toi…woah!!” Jongin nearly fell over as the toilet floor vibrated and moved downwards. “This is all a bit excessive isn’t it?”

                “This place has to be located with the utmost secrecy.”

                “So I’m guessing there are some dirty secrets down there?”

                “If the world knew it would be chaos.”

                “Ooooooo…” Jongin’s lips formed into an O as their ride came to stop. “I’m excited!”

                “So am I. Oddly.” Chanyeol rocked on his heels.

                “You should be.” Jongin smirked. “Someone’s gonna get laid.”

                “What did you say?” Chanyeol whipped his head towards his friend in surprise.

                “Mr. Park,” a girl in an office uniform came to greet Chanyeol by shaking his hand. “We have been expecting you. Suho is in his office.”

                “This is some high class you are going through.” Jongin whispered quietly to Chanyeol as they walked down the same corridor Chanyeol went through earlier today. Ara opened the door and Suho was already standing up, hand extended forward.

                “I knew you would accept our offer.” He smiled as they shook hands. “I am sure you’re eager to get started right away. Who is your friend here?”

                “Oh, this is Kim Jongin a freelance reporter. He’s my tenant and he also wrote the cover news reporting The Dame’s death.” Jongin shook hands with Suho.

                “Ah yes I have read your article. Have you recruited him to help you with this case?”

                “Er…he usually just tags along and makes himself useful.” Chanyeol laughed. Jongin raised a confused eyebrow and looked back and forth between the two of them.

                “Hahahaha! Very well then, I think it’s a good idea. You never know when a member of the press would be useful in cracking cases. Very pleased to meet you, my name is Suho.”

                “Yeah nice to meet you too but what case are you guys talking about?”

                “What do you mean?” now Chanyeol was confused. “The big one. The one I’m working on.”

                “You mean The Dame?!”

                “Yeah!”

                “What kind of establishment is this?!” Jongin slapped Chanyeol’s arm in confusion and frustration.

                “You are here at the headquarters of P.I.E or known as Private Investigator Extraordinaire.”

                “This is some kind of secret spy company?!??!?!” Jongin clasped a hand over his mouth in horror.

                “In simpler terms yes.” Suho nodded. “What did you think we were?”

                “I thought it was a brothel!!!”

                “You thought it was a WHAT?!?!?!” Chanyeol grabbed his friend and shook him violently, as if he was attempting to shake Jongin’s brains out and feed them to cow. A cow fed on human brains would be of more use to him than his stupid friend, even that stinking goat on YouTube that does nothing but scream to Ariana Grande's songs. “I never said anything about a ing brothel you idiot! Where did you get that idea?”

                “I thought P.I.E stood for es International Extravaganza.” Jongin answered sheepishly as he tried to hide his face in embarrassment. Chanyeol wished he was on a cliff right now because either he was going to throw Jongin or jump over it himself.

                “You know, you would be surprised at how often we get that.” Suho chuckled.

                “You guys get mistaken for a brothel?” Chanyeol stared at him.

                “Oh yeah. It’s funny because some drunk kids wondered in here asking for a ‘happy massage’ and when I tried to throw them out they wanted to some of our experimental weapons.”

                Chanyeol and Jongin’s faced cringed in disgust. “How did that work out?”

                “Let’s just say there is a reason why we have so many paintings on our walls.” Suho shook his head. “Let’s head this way.”

                With a push of a button underneath his desk, a panel on the right wall opened up, revealing a smaller discussion room. A long white rectangular table with 10 chairs laid in the centre with a black mirror wall on the other side. There was a small water dispenser and several cabinets alongside the room.

                “Food!!” Jongin clapped his hands excitedly at the array of small snacks and pastries as well as a pot of tea and coffee on the table.

                “I always believe in working in the best environment possible. You’ll need food to keep your energy.” Suho explained.

                “You’re a smart man. I like you.” Jongin had already stuffed a quarter of the pie in his mouth. Chanyeol tried to remember why he agreed to rent half his apartment to an idiot hamster.

                “I’m flattered.” Suho chuckled (he may be the only person who finds Jongin amusing). “I’ll fetch Baekhyun and Kyungsoo and perhaps we can get started. Do help yourself to some food while you wait.”

                “Too late.” Chanyeol glared at Jongin who was cutting out his second slice. Suho left the room as Chanyeol sat down and took off his coat. “Why do you have to be so embarrassing?”

                “Listen, you are in a secret headquarters under the guise of a bakery. Someone offers you food. Do you take it?”

                “No?”

                “Wrong. You always take it. Never turn down free food.”

                “I can see why someone can easily poison you.”

                “At least I will go happily.” Jongin chomped down a cupcake. “God you were right, these are good.”

                No sense in not eating, Chanyeol thought. His stomach grumbled and he realized he hadn’t had much to eat all day. He took a cupcake and poured himself a cup of coffee.

                “Who’s Baekhyun and Kyungsoo?” Jongin asked.

                “They are the spies who will be working with us. They were previously hired by The Dame many years ago to find out if her husband was cheating.”

                “And which one is the one that your Junior was talking about?”

                “His name is Baekhyun and please do not talk about my Junior when they come in, this is between you and me.” Chanyeol threatened through clenched teeth and full mouth.

                “Relax, as if I have nothing better to do than talk about your .” Jongin rolled his eyes. “It’s not even that impressive.”

                “It’s still longer than yours.”

                “Is not.”

                “Is too.”

                “Is not!!”

                “Is too!!!!”

                “Calm down ladies,” Chanyeol nearly spit out his coffee when he heard Baekhyun’s voice as they entered the room. “What’s the big debate about? Which football team is better or whose is longer?” he teased.

                “It’s none of your business.” Chanyeol sputtered out, trying to regain composure by drinking some more coffee. “This is my friend Kim Jongin. He’s a reporter.”

                “Nice to meet you. I’m Baekhyun and he’s Kyungsoo.”

                “Hi.” Kyungsoo waved politely. Jongin smiled back as they shook hands.

                “Now, I’m sure we are all eager to get started. Unfortunately I have a dinner appointment tonight so I won’t be around. However if you do need me don’t hesitate to call me.” They waved as Suho left the room. Chanyeol stood up and grabbed a marker on the table.

                “I suppose we should get started with a briefing on what we have found so far. It’s too bad I don’t have my case pictures with me.”

                “I do. It’s in my phone.” Jongin reached for it.

                “Give it to me, I can set it up for you.” Jongin handed the phone to Kyungsoo, who went over to the seat directly facing the black mirror wall. A panel opened up before him and it was a small computer. With a few connections made and plugging the phone into a USB port, a folder appeared on the wall.

                “This wall is also an LED screen panel.” Kyungsoo explained. “Fully interactive as well. Click on the folder with your fingers.” Chanyeol pressed the folder and pictures rolled out to be displayed on the screen.

                “Wow. That is some cutting-edge technology.”

                “Not really, touch screen wall panels have been used in museums, offices and even homes but we do have the largest and most customizable panel in the whole of Asia.” Kyungsoo’s fingers were busy working on his computer.

                “Okay, this is The Dame’s body.” Chanyeol enlarged in on one of Jongin’s pictures. “She was found dead at 8.30p.m by her driver who barged down the door. Her head was submerged in water and perceivably drowned by accident.” He scrolled through a few more pictures.

                “Did she really drown though?” Baekhyun asked.

                “Autopsy says that she did. There was no evidence of struggle on her body or in the bathroom where she was found. Victim also had no known records of disease or illness that could lead to her demise. She was however, on medication for sleeping pills and hypertension. It was assumed that she took sleeping pills before she had a bath.”

                “Sounds like an accident to me.” Jongin said.

                “Or made to seem like one.” Kyungsoo supported his head with his arm, elbow on the table. “I think you should send the body for a second autopsy.”

                “What’s the difference?”

                “A second autopsy is a complete evaluation of the body, retained organs and internal structures as well as any changes that might have happened after the first autopsy. Sometimes the body does not give any signs until a few days after the victim has died. A second autopsy can also help to reveal any information lost or not discovered during the first autopsy.” Chanyeol explained. “It will take a few days but I think it would be a good idea to get it done.”

                “No sane person would take a sleeping medicine before a bath, knowing that she would risk drowning in it.” Baekhyun agreed. “The Dame is not that kind of person.”

                “What if it was suicide?” Kyungsoo pondered.

                “No way,” Jongin shook his head. “Suicide would not bring any benefit to her. She was supposed to be working on some ground-breaking technology hosted by SNU. She invested nearly 2 million USD in it over the last few years.”

                “How do you know?” Chanyeol asked. Jongin took out his back pack and brought out all the newspaper and online articles on The Dame that he found earlier. The Dame Invests in SNU Technology. Li Foundation Donates to Haiti Relief Fund. Li Su-En: Modern Humanitarian.

                “Look at this article.” Jongin pointed to one. “It says that The Dame has long been interested in Professor Tiffany Hwang’s work in geology and continues to invest in the project.”

                “It also says that the project has undergone multiple testing modules with every one of them failing or yielding unsatisfactory results. Lots of investors have dropped out since they started losing money but only The Dame continued. She was determined to help rope in investors for this project.” Baekhyun read.

                “What kind of project would this be? And why would she continue the investment if it failed multiple times?” Chanyeol pondered.

                “If she was in financial debt, she could have easily caused her own death to get the insurance money.”

                “But the alimony she is paid every year should be enough to cover that. She’s a modern business woman with stocks in almost every profitable company in South Korea.” Chanyeol flipped through the printed articles. “She wouldn’t need money that desperately.”

                “It’s time to do some work. Tomorrow I will head over to interview Kris Wu her ex-husband. Jongin, you can come with me. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo, could you go back to The Dame’s house and dig around her room or office for clues? We need to find out what is this project SNU is doing.”

                “Sounds like a plan.”

                “Ransacking and spying. Two of my three favourite activities.” Baekhyun rubbed his hands in glee.

                “What’s the other one?” Chanyeol asked absentmindedly.

                “Would you like to find out?” Baekhyun smiled slyly, giving him a small wink. Chanyeol sighed and slapped his own face with the printed articles. Jongin was still eating the pie and he has cream on his nose. Kyungsoo was probably the only dependable person but with his big eyes and serious expression he looked like he was plotting to overthrow the world rather than save it.

                Let’s hope this is not a mistake.

 

 

A/N: There you have it!! Another of my weekly updates! I know response has been a little slow towards this story but for those who do leave messages I thank you so much! Pls do leave comments and subscribe if you're interested! Upvotes are always welcomed too!

BTW, hands up who's excited for Chen's musical debut? XD And also, why is Sehun so hot?

I'm sorry, how is he the maknae? Someone please help me understand TT