A Seemingly Happy Marriage

The Dame

                “I must say for most businessmen you certainly are a handsome one.” Hyuna smiled as she put her hand on Jongin, who so graciously offered to her as they made their way back into the mansion after their meal.

                “Thank you. I would say the same for you but I suppose in your line of work everyone says that about you.”

                “It is a tough industry.” She sighed. “Would you believe it me if I said I’m the most average looking of them all?”

                “I find that hard to believe.”

                “Aww you’re just sweet.”

                “Mr. Park, are you sure you don’t want to go and check on your partner? He never returned after going to the bathroom and it’s been almost an hour.” Bomi asked Chanyeol.

                “I’m sure he will be fine. Perhaps he got lost on the compound. Someone would have found him and returned him here.”

                “Maybe I’ll go.” Kyungsoo said. “Baekhyun doesn’t seem to be answering my calls.”

                “It’s alright. I’ll go.” Chanyeol smiled and turned around. He didn’t realize that Baekhyun had disappeared for so long until Kyungsoo said he wasn’t returning any of his calls. He went into the bathroom that Baekhyun entered when he first arrived and found his jacket still underneath the sink. Baekhyun hasn’t returned.

                He grabbed the dark red jacket and left the bathroom. He scanned the crowd but there was no sign of the spy, even while Chanyeol towered over everyone. He head out onto the grounds. The staff were there cleaning up after the party outside. Still no Baekhyun.

                Where is he?

                Is he in trouble?

                No, he couldn’t be. Baekhyun is a professional. He’s just late.

                Please.

****************

                Kyungsoo had abandoned Bomi and sat at the bar, completely focused on trying to find Baekhyun. His transmitter was working and there was no distress signal coming. Baekhyun did have a habit of not answering messages and calls when he is onto something so maybe this is just one of those times where he simply didn’t pick up. Kyungsoo heard a thud on the spot next to him and he jerked up.

                “Why I have not seen you before?” the man asked, holding onto an empty glass.

                “I’m new here, sent on behalf of the ambassador of Turkey.”

                “Ah right.” The man smiled, his lips moving upwards to form a very cat-like smile. “I’m Kim Jongdae.”

                “Yes I know, the famous entrepreneur and our gracious host for tonight.” Kyungsoo gushed, shaking his hand. “I’m known as Soo. I run a paper company.”

                “Welcome Soooooooooooooooo.” Jongdae laughed, dragging the o’s for as long as he can. The bartender automatically refilled his shot of whisky. “If I had known the ambassador had such handsome friends I would have invited him more often.”

                “He extends his gratitude but is sad that he cannot be here tonight.” Because he never got those invitations.

                “No problem at all, so long as he is still writing a cheque in.” Jongdae snickered. “So who are you with tonight?”

                “I’m here with my partners.”

                “So you don’t work alone?”

                “Nope.”

                “Tell me, Sooooooooo,” Jongdae slurred a little, confirming Kyungsoo’s suspicions of his alcohol intake. “What do you think of my festivities so far?”

                “I think it’s been amazing, and it’s a wonderful way to honour your mother-in-law.”

                “Ah yes, The Dame.” He sighed, taking down another shot. “Shame, she was the only person who understood my business intentions. She was very supportive and a great woman. If I had known her when she was young,” he chuckled, raising an eyebrow suggestively. He didn’t need to finish the sentence, Kyungsoo knew what he was going to say.

                “Her daughter is still very beautiful. She is your wife I presume?”

                “Yes she is.” They both turned their heads to look at Hani instinctively, who was making her way up the stairs.

                “You are a very lucky man.”

                “Not as lucky as I will be tonight.” Jongdae brushed his long fingers against the back of Kyungsoo’s palm. This is a test, you’re trying to see if I’ll buy it.

                “Whatever do you mean?” Let’s play dumb and see what happens.

                “I mean I’m very lucky to meet you.” Jongdae smiled, brushing his fingers once more. “You seem like a very nice young man.”

                “I am.”

                “Do you get lonely sometimes?”

                “I don’t.” Kyungsoo smiled, slowly moving his hand away. Jongdae watched his hand reeling back and pulled back a little. He paused his ministrations before downing another shot. Kyungsoo knew that there was no point in questioning him anymore. His unsteady eyes meant that he probably wasn’t conscious enough to walk forward. There was something about his attitude that made him suspicious.

                “I will see you around?” Jongdae raised an eyebrow.

                “Definitely.” Kyungsoo simply nodded and watched as Jongdae trailed off to find his other guests. Kyungsoo’s lips curled up instinctively. He did not like him at all.

                “Man I like Hyuna and but a man needs some space.” Jongin panted as he head over to the bar to join Kyungsoo.

                “What’s wrong? I thought you were dancing with her.”

                “You can’t dance in those heels she’s wearing, and she keeps looking over my shoulder at some other guy.” Jongin sat down and ordered himself something to drink. “Where’s Baekhyun?”

                “No news from him.” Kyungsoo sighed. “I just talked to Jongdae.”

                “Really? How is he?”

                “Too intoxicated.” He gestured over to Jongdae, who is now laughing loudly and clinking glasses with a famous movie director. “He just flirted with me, asking if I was alone and brushing my hand.”

                “Sounds like he’s not such a good husband.” Jongin took a sip of his cocktail and straightened his suit. He looked back at Kyungsoo, who was running his fingers along the edge of his glass, watching the crowd before him.

                “So what else do we do on operations like this?”

                “Usually we would just keep a watchful eye on our target, but since one half is intoxicated and the other is missing, we’ll just have to blend in and look inconspicuous.”

                “What about Sehun and Luhan?”

                Kyungsoo shook his head. “I don’t feel right going up to them.”

                “Is it because Luhan was your ex-colleague?”

                The shorter male nodded. “It feels weird. It’s like a doctor treating another doctor. I don’t know quite what to make of this yet. I can’t believe he married The Dame’s son.”

                “You guys never knew when he retired?”

                “He said he wanted a break from the espionage life so he retired. We never really heard from him after that. There were rumours that he eloped and married in a foreign country but that was all we knew. I didn’t think we would cross paths again.”

                “If you don’t mind me saying I don’t think he looks like much. I can’t imagine him being a spy.”

                “Some of the most unlikely people make the best spies.” Kyungsoo grinned. “Luhan was the master of disguise. He could pull off any character and camouflage himself into any surrounding. One time he disguised himself as a burlesque dancer in Las Vegas and he went through a whole week’s performance without being recognised.”

                “I can tell. I mean, look at his face!” Kyungsoo laughed as Jongin watched in disbelief. “He’s too pretty to be real.”

                “Baekhyun was on that same case. He only lasted for 3 days before he injured his ankle wearing those heels.”

                “And you never did anything like that?”

                “I don’t really like getting onto the action that much. My place is in headquarters with the technology department.”

                “But I heard you were the one lawyer that helped The Dame win her alimony back.”

                “I was,” Kyungsoo nodded. “I have a law degree, so I might was well make myself useful. It was an easy case though. Kris didn’t try to deny he was in love with someone else, so negotiations were easy.”

                “You must enjoy this don’t you?”

                “Not going to lie, proving a point is one of my favourite things to do.” Kyungsoo smiled.

                “So you’re always right?”

                “I usually am. Baekhyun is the idiot who dives in head first on a whim. I like to take my time, investigate and analyse before I decide on anything.”

                “Doesn’t that make you a bore?” Kyungsoo shrugged. He put his phone down and looked around the room, before his eyes settled back on Jongin. Kyungsoo admitted (to Baekhyun at least, or else the tard will never shut up) that he thought Jongin was handsome. Gorgeous tan skin, beautiful smile, deep eyes and a lean body. They smiled at each other briefly before clinking their glasses together.

*****************

                Chanyeol roamed the outside compound, looking for any signs or traces of Baekhyun. He heard a loud chatter in the distance, right by the lake. He darted behind the willow trees and inched forward. A few men in tuxedoes were sitting around the pagoda, eating and drinking away. A pair of hands in white gloves caught his eye. These must be the drivers of some of the guests. Driver Kim was one of them.

                Their chatter was nonsensical, mostly gossiping about their employers that Chanyeol really didn’t give a about. Driver Kim was chatting and laughing away, until they all heard a tapping getting closer and closer to them.

                “Lady Hani.” They all rose from their seats and took their caps off and bowed, like Southern gentlemen. Hani wasn’t really a ‘lady’ by title (unlike actual royal families) but since her mother was nicknamed The Dame, it just became natural that Hani became Lady Hani.

                “Gentlemen, I hope you’re enjoying yourselves tonight. Need I remind you that your job continues late in the night so less of the alcohol perhaps?” some of the men chewed their bottom lip and tried to hide their beer cans. Chanyeol could have snorted at them.

                “May I see Xiumin for a bit?” Driver Kim stood out from the crowd and walked towards Hani. He let out his arm for her as she guided them a little further down the lake, walking past Chanyeol. Chanyeol hid behind another tree to make sure they don’t spot him.

                “What are you doing here?” she asked him, her voice was urgent.

                “I drove Master Sehun and Luhan here. You do remember that I work for him too sometimes.”

                There was a pause and Chanyeol leaned his head to the side to watch them. He could only afford to stick out one eye while the other was still hidden. He saw Xiumin raised his hand to touch Hani’s face.

                “I’m worried about you.”

                “Don’t. I’m fine.”

                ‘I know you must be having a tough time. Don’t try to push me away Hani.”

                Hani? Since when did they drop ‘Lady’?

                “You better make sure you don’t drink too much.” Hani said, holding Xiumin’s hands in hers. “I have to head back in soon.”

                “Okay.” He leaned forward with his eyes closed but Hani stopped him by putting a finger on his lips.

                “No one must know.”

                “I know.” He breathed. They stopped for a while before he kissed the back of her hand and left. Chanyeol watched the whole thing unfurl before him with his jaw dropped. Hani was having an affair? With the family chauffer?

                Now this is getting interesting.

                Hani stood there watching Xiumin go back to his fellow colleaugues. She turned her back to head back inside when Chanyeol stood up from his spot and went up to her.

                “Lady Hani?”

                “Oh!” she was startled by Chanyeol’s sudden appearance. “Who are you?”

                Chanyeol lifted up his jacket, his detective badge glistening in the moonlight. “My name is Detective Park Chanyeol. I’m undercover tonight, investigating your mother’s murder.”

                “My mother…have you found anything? Any leads?” Hani rushed forward and demanded a little too loudly.

                “Shhhhhhh….” Chanyeol shushed her, holding her back. “That’s what I’m here to find out tonight.” He held her arm and snuck in a name card in her palm. “I would understand if you are unavailable tonight, but I would like to ask you some questions regarding your mother.”

                “Yes of course.” She held the card between her fingers and slipped it into the waistband of her dress. “Perhaps you can drop by my office tomorrow.”

                “You can make a call to the police department and arrange for a meeting.” He put his finger to his lips. “Do not let anyone know I am here. Not even your husband.”

                “Why? Do you suspect him?”

                “Anyone is a suspect, and I’m undercover tonight. So please, don’t blow my cover. You don’t want your guests to know that there is a policeman in the midst, do you?”

                Hani stepped back, withdrawing her arm and nodded silently. Chanyeol looked over at the group of drivers, still chatting away and he looked back at her. He decided not to say anything. She doesn’t need to know what Chanyeol saw.

                “I better be heading back.”

                “Yes you do.” Hani turned and head back in. Chanyeol sighed deeply and looked around. He was about to go back in as well when he heard a thud. A rock just barely missed him over the head. He looked up and saw a dark figure on the roof of the building above him.

                “Pssst!! Up here!”

                “Baekhyun!” Chanyeol recognized that voice anywhere and dropped Baekhyun’s jacket to step back and take a better look. “What are you doing up there?”

                “I just narrowly escaped from being caught thank you very much for asking. Managed to escape before the damned party planner came in.” He whispered loudly. “Catch me. I’m coming down.”

                “Wait I…omphf!” Baekhyun landed right in Chanyeol’s arms. The weight took him by surprise so he stumbled a little but he managed to hold on without falling. “Wow you are really light. Do you eat at all?”

                “Like a cow, but then I lose it all really fast too. I love my metabolism.” Baekhyun chuckled, feeling his feet on solid ground after an hour of scrambling through the roof tops. “Where are the rest of the guys?”

                “Still inside. Did you see everything that went on between Hani and I?”

                “You bet I did. I also saw her driver try to not-so-subtly kiss her.”

                “So they are in a relationship.”

                “Is that significant?”

                “Maybe.” Chanyeol bit his lip. “But first we have to get back inside.”

                “We’ll need a story.”

                “Put your arm around me.” Chanyeol ordered, already gripping Baekhyun’s waist.

                “Gladly.” He smirked and hooked his right arm around Chanyeol’s neck. “What shall we do? Pretend I’m injured? Do the whole ‘I feel faint’ act?”

                “You fell down after you got lost in the dark. Got it?” there was no time to even answer. Chanyeol ‘dragged’ Baekhyun with him as they entered. He caught Jongin’s eyes at the bar and signalled him to enter the library next door. Jongin’s eyes immediately responded as he told Kyungsoo.

                “Come in!!” Chanyeol urged Jongin and Kyungsoo to come in quickly before closing the door. “Tell us what you have found.”

                “I’ve got all the files.” Kyungsoo pulled out his phone and a small box of mints. Except it wasn’t a box of mints. He propped his phone up against the box and it became a mini-projector. “Let’s see…menu…decorations…performance lists…here we are! Guests lists!”

                There came a knock on the door and Baekhyun fell back on chair. Kyungsoo pocketed his phone instantly before the door clicked open.

                “I heard someone was injured. Does anyone need any bandages?” a head came peeking in with a box of bandages. Kyungsoo didn’t know what to say as Luhan came in, smiling innocently.

                “Er…it’s alright. I only fell a little bit.” Baekhyun reassured him, raising one hand weakly.

                “In that case…” Luhan dipped his hand into the box and pulled out a gun. He cocked the gun and pointed it forward.

                “Nobody move.”

 

 

A/N: I know a lot of you are expecting something slightly different but where would the fun be in giving people directly what they want? XD If u want to know what happens next make sure to subscribe and comment below!! Thanks guys!!

BTW, does anyone love Tom Hiddleston as much as I do? LOL